Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6630 feedback and thoughts

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Hey Dub, You might have an idea where to get a large DV RS MMC (256/512) Online?

Sean

http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=115189

http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=305004&cks=PRL

the dual voltage spec is (1.8/3.0V) and the supply voltage from kompletts RS MMC's are quoted from 2.7 - 3.6V

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

As far as i know , If you convert the ringtone to OGG you can use it as a ringtone ... i havent tried it yet , but i remember reading something about it ... ill go look it up for you guys...
    Bit of a hassle, but if you use itunes, convert your mp3 to aac, change the extension to .g2c and copy it to card on phone. You should then be able to set them as ringtones and message alerts. I copied them to the Sounds/Digital folder, but I don't think it matters where you copy them to.
    you can convert your mp3 ringtones into DRM tones so that the phone will recognize them; go there and follow the instructions, really easy and works fine on vodafone's 6630 ;
    http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=73343
    First, navigate to your General profile on the phone and scroll through your ringtone options, making note of the valid file extensions. .MID, .AAC and one other one, right ?

Well, (and maybe I’m wrong on this) I reckon that the extra one ( it’s .MXMF on mine ) varies from country to country or network to network. Find what it is on your handset and make a note of it.

Make a folder called C:\Ringtones. Next open your audio file in iTunes, and using >edit>preferences>advanced change the path to C:\Ringtones. Right-click on the file and export it to an AAC file. Then you must change the extension to the one you found. I think DOS is best for this.

From the windows desktop >Start>Run…>type ‘cmd’ and press enter.
    Next type ‘CD..’ and press enter.
    Repeat the above step until the curser reads C:\
    Then type ‘CD\Ringtones’ enter.
    And then ‘Dir’ enter.

Make a note of your filename as it’s displayed. Mine was a MP4 file for some reason.

Next type ‘rename <audio file name as display by command above> <same filename with extension replaced by the one found on phone>’

Then you must use the ‘Transfer Files’ button on the Nokia PC software supplied to copy the file onto the phone. I copied it to Nokia\Memory Card\Sounds\Digital, using the supplied USB cable. I’m sure Bluetooth would be fine though.

Don’t use the ‘Transfer Music’ button on the PC software, as this checks for digital signatures and won’t let you copy unsigned AAC files or anything that isn’t one of the three formats listed for that matter.

I can use AAC files as ringtone.
    But, changing extention .mp4 to .3g2 is needed.
    (musicfile.mp4 --> musicfile.3g2)

Hope that helps with the Mp3's - i havent tried it myself yet.

SYMBIAN SOFTWARE INSTALL ISSUES

Now also , someone has mentioned about not being able to install 3rd party Symbian apps and games ?... thats a simple one ...

Go menu
    tools
    manager
    "options" select "settings"
    the change "software installation" to "on". Should be ok after that.

And on a final note ... if anyone here does get the bigger cards ... Smart Movie Converter is just WOW .. you can convert a FULL DVD to the size of 100 megs and store it on your phone ... I have tried it with SharkTale (the first 5.5 mins = 4 megs) and it plays perfeclty.

Sound is excellent , conversion time is very good , movie quality is brill ... im well impressed with this little program . If anyone is looking for a copy , i have it on my site (trial version) but once you know your Phones serial number , its easy to get a full working version of it.

If anyone wants to know anything else , just post up and ill see if i can figure it out for ya, Im extreemly impressed with this phone , but the 32 meg card defo isnt enough .. its like selling a pentium 4 pc with a 3 gig harddrive.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

on the ringtone front I use i-tunes just convert MP3 to AAC,
    it only takes a few seconds then use file transfer on the nokia suite
    to stick it on the fone.

It also helps if ya use a audio editing tool (i use wave pad - free)
    to shrink the tone to a resonable sive/duration fo a ringtone, I know I don't leave my fone ringin for 4 mins!!

Also if your'e new to the 6630 i suggest geting some themes for it they can really make your fone seem like your own. and get rid of that poxy vodafone one. try http://www.mobile9.com/ for the themes, or if your'e feeling artistic download nokia theme studio and make your own!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 vaquero

Hi,
    I just rang Vodafone and they told me that I need to have an existing 3G account for 6 months with them before I can upgrade to the 6630. I have been with them for 4 years and have a contract on the Active scheme and am due an upgrade. Seeing as how 3G only came available before Christmas I don't understand how somebody is expected to have an existing 3G account before they were eligible to upgrade to the 6630. For a start what phone would you upgrade from?! As far as I know there are only 4 Vodafone 3G models available.

I'm not even that pushed on the 3G functionality - I just like what I've heard about the 6630. Also, I'm wondering how much my monthly bills will change with a 3G billing scheme - I'm currently paying 50-70 a month. Maybe I should just keep it simple and go for the 7610 instead and stay on my 2.5G scheme.

Any comments?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

hey Vaquero,
    Me thinks someone in vodafone has been telling ya porkie pies.
    i have a account with voda and upgraded to the 6630 no probs.
    the thing about the existing 3G account seems to make no sence to me.

Have ya been bill for the 4 years? and if so did ya pay bills on time.

If yes to both I think you should have no probs upgrading to the 6630.

As for the tarrifs, I think they are really good value, i was on performer paying 120-150 a month now my bills are around 80-100.
    definatley a good move

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 vaquero

Thanks mik_da_man. I went into the Vodafone shop in Jervis Centre in Dublin yesterday after work and the guy said I could get the 6630 for €99 if I joined the new tariff. It's tempting to be able to use my minutes to ring any network - I just need to do the maths and see if my bills will be less. I can get it for €99 on my current tariff, which is also a pretty good deal.

Carphone Warehouse are offering the exact same deal. Is there any reason I should go with them rather than directly to Vodafone? Would they provide a different firmware or something? I don't really like the idea of another middleman.

Any comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Just be aware that the tariff they are talking about (which will get you a 6630 for 99 euro) is a Supertime tariff which will cost at least 69 euro per month. That said, you can change the tariff after you buy the phone - like I did ;)

Offers from the Carphone warehouse are just as valid as Vodafones. In fact, there is a huge sign in the window of the Grafton St. store saying they'll beat (or match?) any other price. So you might as well ask the CPW if they can beat Vodafones offer.

The only thing I'm not sure about is if the "free bluetooth headset" offer is still going.

Still, the 6630 is a great phone although it is quite buggy (I think they rushed the phone, to be honest) but a firmware update in the next few months should fix most of the problems (like how it reboots itself every so often).

- Neil

Advertisement