Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV buying - 28" or 32"? 50HZ or 100HZ?

Options
  • 05-12-2004 2:02am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's Xmas time. I want a present and am willing to help Santa out to make it a decent present, especially given my recent upset! So I want a new TV. FWIW, the TV is used say about 60%/40% for DVD/TV and I'm on NTL analogue.

Now I wandered around town today and so came across a few questions which you may be able to help answer:

1) 28"/32" - There's still a reasonable difference in prices between these two prices. Has anyone managed to get both and noticed an appreciable difference in quality between them? It's hard to tell in the shops.

2) 50Hz/100Hz - This is probably my biggest question. The guys in the shops obviously recommend 100Hz but what do ye say? A quick browse on the web gives conflicting answers. 100Hz seems to be the poorer choice for digital (apparently due to signal compression) but what about DVDs? Instore the display on the 100Hz looked appreciably better, but I don't know if they're being tricksy and false with that. Is there a real difference for all intents and purposes? I understand the technical aspect of it but from a viewing angle, I don't know yet.

3) I've always found Sony reliable but is there any other brand that I should consider? And where is the best place to get them. We all know Dublin's not the cheapest but many a place won't ship electronics here and, if they did, P&P and VAT on a TV would probably not make it worthwhile.

Thankee...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

From my experiences:

1) Bigger the better.

2) I can't think of any situation where I'd even want to look at a 50Hz tv. Owwwww. Once you get used to it, it makes going back difficult. I certainly find watching DVDs far more pleasurable on a 100Hz tv. And you're never going to have a pure digital video signal going into the tv, unless you have something very special.

3) If you can afford it the Sony Wega tvs tend to be exceptional... like looking through a window. Loewe are very good, but very pricey. No one ever got fired for buying Pioneer either.

Advertisement