Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

svchost error

• 05-12-2004 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Guys,
    I rum W2k SP4 and every so often I get an svchost has generated errors alert and it closes. I have checked the process manager and it appears that svchost is running 3 times (see attached file). Is this normal. Any advise appreciated.
    thegills

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

its not normal to create errors (obviously) but it always seems to be running 3 or 4 times for me so thats probably normal...

did you check the event log? (see if it sheds any light on the reasons for the errors)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 helpdogscat

thegills wrote:
    Guys,
    I rum W2k SP4 and every so often I get an svchost has generated errors alert and it closes. I have checked the process manager and it appears that svchost is running 3 times (see attached file). Is this normal. Any advise appreciated.
    thegills

yea, tis normal to run multiple times, its a service host, each instance is hosting several services, and loads of services run on win2k, there is a virus out there, cant remember which off hand that names itsself svchost.exe, the real svchost resides in the system32 folder, do a search for svchost and if any are found in dodgy places delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

ythe real svchost resides in the system32 folder, do a search for svchost and if any are found in dodgy places delete

I have 3 instances of it running, different sized process... when I did a search for it, I have one in the system32 folder, and another one in blue on system32/dllcache folder... both are the same size... I presume this is normal?

Seanie.

Advertisement