Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mordechai Vanunu

Options
  • 05-12-2004 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

Just saw on the news this righteous gent is seeking to leave Israel. After 18 years in jail and (I think) six months looking over his shoulder he needs to be welcomed in a new homeland. He mentioned Europe - so why not here? (Ireland).

I for one would welcome him.

His has to be the most famous case of asylum-seeking that I can think of.

Disclaimer: I do not want this to become an anti-Israeli thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He mentioned Europe - so why not here?

Why not? His treatment since release has been shameful.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

He is a beacon of light in all the corruption, war mongering and general dross that passes for politics in the world to today so yes he should be welcomed with open arms by any European country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

http://freewebs.com/vanunu2ireland

he wants to go to a "neutral" country in Europe but each country states that the man must be in their country to claim asylum... but seeing he can't leave Israel... they don't have to worry about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

The man should be allowed to leave Israel! Don't want an anti-Israeli thread here - but anti-Sharon posts I now feel more comfortable with!
    [EDIT]It is also the blame of the guys behind him... just don't know precisely who this is![/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

What about the Sudanese Africans that are being masacred by the Arabs, Nigerian woman of N. Nigeria who are forced to endure ritual circumscion or even the orphaned children of AIDS hit S. Africa. These people not only live with the threat of harm but have to endure it everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

What about the Sudanese Africans that are being masacred by the Arabs, Nigerian woman of N. Nigeria who are forced to endure ritual circumscion or even the orphaned children of AIDS hit S. Africa. These people not only live with the threat of harm but have to endure it everyday.

While I completely agree with you Raskolnikov, Mr. Vanunu blow the lid on secret and still secret I might add Nuclear Arms program. I don't see the US santioning Israel for not compleying with IAEA. Israel isn't even signed up to IAEA, while fanatical Iran is.

While the poor, AIDs sufferes and hungry need asylum Mr. Vanunu is trying to protect the world with his whistel blowing. In theory he is making it a safer place for us all.

As far as i'm aware Mr. Vanunu has been re-arrested for being interviewed by the Guardian's G2 and some other international journalists. I don't think its an issue of him getting asylum. Many countries have offered it. It is the fact that he might be kidnapped again by Mosad and drugged and covertly returned to Israel. They do it regularly :(

These people are collectively famous and deserving of assylum. Anyone origininating from such a region could claim to be a victim, would like to think they have to prove it - i.e. their village was attacked etc. Point being Mordechai Vanunu has nothing to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The point I was making that just because this Vanunu lad blew the whistle on the Israeli doesn't make him anymore important than some kiddie who's going to die from AIDS. The man has had his civil liberties curtailed but there's nothing to suggest that his life is in any significant danger. I think letting him bypass the existing asylum system we have would be farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sorry I think you mean our farcical asylum system - sorry couldn't resist.

While I think we should offer this man asylum I do not see the Isreali's letting him go that easily. He has knowledge be it dated of their Nuclear Program and I doubt they would like to see him get out of their control. Not to mention the effect it may have on public opinion letting a man convicted of treason out of the country.

I hope he does get out of their because I feel he is in danger the longer he remains from an extremist taking action against him.

I have to agree with both previous posts. He is no more important on a humanitarian level than some kid in aids/war ravaged nation. However, no dispute can be offered to his legitimacy for assylum, so why not take him in tomorrow...
    Politically, he merits a jet waiting in the gaza strip, boarding whenever he can give Mossad the slip!

• Advertisement
Advertisement