Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Mime on Jonathan Ross !!

Options
  • 05-12-2004 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Did anybody see U2's performance on Jonathan Ross this past few days (I saw the repeat last night) ??

They performed 2 tracks -

Sometimes you can't make it on your own,
    and
    I will follow.

Bono was most definately not singing a number of sections of the I Will Follow and at one point he did make a seriously obvious lip sync error!! Is Bono joining the elite lip sync error greats from recent times such as Ashlee Simpson and Posh Spice ?!? (Both recently made serious errors while lipsynching)

At the end of I Will Follow, Bono and Edge were singing through the same mic for about 10 seconds - and the effect on Edges voice was not on Bono's voice - and as a recording person, I can tell you it is impossible.

So there we have it - the "best band in the world" following the trend of not wanting to risk a mistake on television. I understand the need for U2 Ltd as a business to have everything looking perfect and sounding perfect so they can sell more copies of the new records and more gig tickets, but I did hold them on a pedastle for a few years because of their live performances. Last night changed all that for me - and they have confirmed their position in the sell-your soul-for-cash chart ! With 750 Million euros in the bank I'd like to think that at this point in their career, they would be thinking of artistic integrity and not more cash. I guess that's the problem. O yeah, and the fact that Bono can't sing the high parts of the tracks he wrote years ago means he now has to mime!

I'm gutted :(

I pose the following question.
    Are U2 the biggest whores in Ireland ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Conspiracy wrote:
    Are U2 the biggest whores in Ireland ?

yes. yes they are.

u2 and boner/bono can go and die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

i think u may be a bit harsh here friend
    i hate miming myself shows terrible dis respect 4 the fans and all

but think of what they are doing for this country.

dont wanna sound im harping on but
    they did a lot for us
    haning been in america a lot myself
    been a great how can i say.....focal point for me starting off buisness conversation and pub chat for me in the past . never really liked them much after josh 3 album but the last 2 albums were awesome and i did hear a lot of the live stuff on the dvd they had out in hmv last week. very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

i didnt say that because they mimed.

i said that because i hate them.
    but miming just proves how crap they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Conspiracy wrote:
    O yeah, and the fact that Bono can't sing the high parts of the tracks he wrote years ago means he now has to mime!

There you go tbh. Bono isnt getting any younger, so he probably needs a crutch when it comes to singing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

That's not true at all. I'm not setting to defend bono here exactly, I just noticed during the performance that bono's voice was very weak in parts, not exactly the trademark giveaway of a pre-recorded vocal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

dead air wrote:
    That's not true at all. I'm not setting to defend bono here exactly, I just noticed during the performance that bono's voice was very weak in parts, not exactly the trademark giveaway of a pre-recorded vocal.
    Realistic miming. Designed to fool the masses, yet still be "pretty".

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

I didn't watch 'I will follow' but the other two songs were definitely not mimed. You could even hear cracks in Bono's voice which i'm sure has been under a lot of strain recently. Even the band were playing live which is often not the case. For some reason some Irish people are very spiteful of Bono and I don't know why, I think U2 are a great band and not many are still churning out excellent albums after 20 something years. As he said last on Jonathon Ross, he plans on dedicating the rest of his life to eradicating poverty, yet certain boards users wish he would just 'die'!! You sir, are a grade A wanker. Stop being such a fcking begrudger and just appreciate what the man does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Does it matter? So the guy can't hit the high notes he used to hit when he was twenty, so what? People get old, it happens, their bodies can't do the things it used to be capable of doing when they were younger. Meh, I'm no fan of U2 but they've done a hell of a lot of good and any band who can keep an audience for well over twenty years and still evolve (if even slightly) from album to album deserves respect.

Until you've experienced a poxy monitor mix you'll never understand why some folks mime in tv studios. I mean, Jonathan Ross' show, I can understand why someone would mime on that, an audience of ponces and hobnobbers all gawping at you with their dead eyes, who'd want to sing to those buggers? Get them on Jool's show and let's see what they can really do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

lads yeah the guy is like 80 for gods sake

when he was in his prime we all were proud of them at one stage or another

i remember even me dad saying that rattle and rum was a moving piece of footage showing the rise of an irish band in the world of music

no matter what bad things are said
    i think the lads did more than ok and this live topic on tv should be ended.
    look at the britney yoke..
    now theres f . all talent there
    ps theres the croke park gig coming up
    lets see bono give it socks there no miming there for sure

rock on ireland and all its super star bands and actors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Bessacadia

yes. yes they are.

u2 and boner/bono can go and die.

Yes please.
    U2 are the biggest load of crap ever.
    He is a twat, so full of himself I have to switch the tv off if he comes on.

Don't mind me, I have a spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

yes have to agree , U2 are a useless pile of crap !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

So their guitarist can't play guitar and their singers can't sing... Nothing new there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I didn´t see this particular performance but perhaps they just had a bad day or maybe the acoustic on set wasn´t great ...

I am not the biggest U2 fan but I believe that they will prove all their critics wrong over and over again during their next tour.

U2 after all is an institution and I have seen great musicians on stage where they had wonderful moments and then didnt really hit the notes on some of their songs. It is called "live" - but it doesnt justify to slaughter them for one crappy moment in their history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Conspiracy

What have I started :) !

To the guys that claim his poor crackly vocals isn't exactly trademark of pre-recorded vocals I refer you to my initial post.
    I said - parts of the track - not the whole track. Parts of the track were of great quality, parts were not. The parts that were not were live, the parts that were good were recorded. It's 100% pre-meditated by them as they are actively plugging their album at the moment and would play the local spar if they thought it would sell albums.

They brand themselves as a band of artists with integrity, when infact they are not - that was my point. Isn't it a shame they got to this when they obviously are past it. Slane was another example. He screached and screached throughout the gig - it was a great gig - because Larry is rock solid, Edge's delay is suited to a big venue, and well..clayton....yeah. Bono is an actor, not a singer anymore. He has spent years creating an image of the hard working humble rock star, and it appears he is finally on the way down. Many of you will be delighted with that. I think they should have quit a few years ago, but this is what happens when you don't.

Artistic Integrity - Zilch !!

Conspiracy wrote:
    Artistic Integrity - Zilch !!

My friend, there is no popular musician with artistic credibility, it's merely a matter of how good their PR is and how well they sell it. U2 sell it well and they've done a ****load more good on the back of it than so many others. **** it, let them mime all they want. Credibility is a myth created by record companies to help usher out the old acts so they can introduce you to new young commericial opportunities who are credible until the next fad rolls in. Doesn't anybody burn NME any more? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I hate U2 so much.

As a band they're so big and critic-proof at this stage that the could take any artistic liberty they felt like and still sell millions of records yet they seem more interested in just regurgitating the same sorry nonsence year after year and getting as many product tie-in's as possible before Boner drops dead of ego-failure.

U2, please split up .... or surprise me .... or just die horribly. The choice is yours .... but please do one of the 3 asap! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Pigman II wrote:
    I hate U2 so much.

As a band they're so big and critic-proof at this stage that the could take any artistic liberty they felt like and still sell millions of records yet they seem more interested in just regurgitating the same sorry nonsence year after year and getting as many product tie-in's as possible before Boner drops dead of ego-failure.

U2, please split up .... or surprise me .... or just die horribly. The choice is yours .... but please do one of the 3 asap! :mad:

Apparantly Oasis were critic proof, what happened there? If their new album was sh1t then the critics would have said so, whats there to be afraid of?
    U2 are one band that have actually developed over the years, otherwise there is no way they would maintain the extraordinary level of popularity that they currently have. Their market isn't clueless 13 year old's, its adults, of all ages. If they release something that isn't good then it will be said.
    They're new album is actually very good, not that you would have heard it too well with your head so far up your as$....

My friend, there is no popular musician with artistic credibility, it's merely a matter of how good their PR is and how well they sell it.

To say that is incorrect. In recent years this may well be correct. It was not correct up to the 80's, and certainly a large part of the 90's with a large number of artists.

Many groups/artists are genuinly passionate about wanting to sound good, and wanting to give back something to the people who support them. U2 on the other hand do not do this.

Thanks to some clever accounting by Ossie Kilkenny over the years, good Management by Principle Management (Paul McGuinness & co) , and the ability to have a tax free earning based out of the country.

They pay no tax, and they know that the market here is too easy for them. An island of 4,000,000 people. Yes they sell some albums here, but nothing compared to what they sell elsewhere.

A good few posters above claim that U2 have done a lot for Ireland.
    Can anyone give any big examples of what these things are??

The music business is a filthy piece of **** controlled by soulless money hungry bastards who had any love of art sucked out of them, all that remains is a manky darkness consumed with units, territories and, of course, dollars. Many artists do indeed care about sounding good, but once they sign a recording contract, they waive the right to control their music and any credibility associated with it. That there is any decent music at all is a miracle, seriously. Don't take my word for it though, if you ever bump into any Irish band member of any of the bands who got signed and their record company never released an album, soon to discover they were only signed so as they wouldn't interfere with one of the company's favoured acts. There are a lot more of them than you think, believe me. As I said, I'm no fan of U2, but I know enough of what really goes on to appreciate their durability in the filthiest of industries, and I greatly respect their work at highlighting the causes of those less fortunate, even though Bono may be an arrogant git, I've never met the fella so I can't really say.

Seriously, do a bit of scratching below the surface of the music industry, you'll be amazed and sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

So their guitarist can't play guitar and their singers can't sing... Nothing new there.

Arent you forgetting the other two?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

They're new album is actually very good, not that you would have heard it too well with your head so far up your as$....

Thank you for those flatulent wordings.

Just so you know I have actually listened to HTDAAB and it's a piece of crap. Same goes for that the previous effort AllThatYouCan't ... etc ... etc ... yawn.

You're a bloody moron if you think U2 are developing, The fact that you're even defending them shows you haven't got a clue ... which I guess makes you the perfect consumer for their latest 'lifestyle product' .... oh sorry I meant 'album'.

The release of the last album - 2000.
    Bono's Apple Lifebook is "stolen" from his car with the lyrics and track notes.
    Nothing ever happened about it - never turned up - it was all fine.
    The same album - they robbed track ideas from other bands.
    Beautiful Day - or "Sun doesn't shine on TV" by A-Ha should I say.

The new Album - 2004.
    Edge's gets copies of tracks robbed 4 months before album launch date - U2 go on record saying they might release the album early with who? Apple iTunes of course, and by sheer coincidence, U2 have been on the cover page of www.apple.com for the past fortnight. There is even an article about Bono, Edge and Steve Jobs (Apple Chief) in there !!!!! The album didn't get launched early, and like the other album, it appeared to be Karl Rove type spin.

Also, the new album is so average it's not funny. Only with 750 Million would you be accepted to release such average material.

Doctor J : You are right about smaller acts when they sign - they play ball, cause the record company owns them at that point. However, U2 are at the stage that they could produce what they want and get the results for it. U2 do not owe anything to any company - and can make their own decisions. They have chosen to be average.

Pop-idol et. al is a great example.
    I take a formula. TV Show & Hopefuls & Advertising & Merchandise & Record & PR = Profit. Pump enough money into anything, and you can make it successful - it's really very simple. Look at GW Bush !!! It's exactly what was done with him.

Doctor J Said:
    Don't take my word for it though, if you ever bump into any Irish band member of any of the bands who got signed and their record company never released an album, soon to discover they were only signed so as they wouldn't interfere with one of the company's favoured acts.

You are correct there !! I've heard that the manager of one successful well known heroin using Band from Dublin has made a practice of doing that to Dublin bands. "Shelving".

U2 could be doing better, but they are not better.
    They are corporate whores. Big players in a big money business.

Again, can anyone give examples of Good Things U2 hve done for Ireland ?!

They've showed that it's possible for an Irish band to be globally successful and by doing so, have helped countless other bands and musicians get a look in they would never have gotten otherwise. That do? Self Aid, remember that? Didn't think so.

Man, I don't know about you, but I give up on bands being 'groundbreaking' after the third or fourth album. Am I the only one who heard Zooropa? Was that not enough of a departure from the norm? How long have U2 been at it, over 25 years? You expect a revolution every album? Have a look at what their peers are doing, REM for example. You expect 40 and 50 year olds to be contemporary? Wake up man, get a grip. What sort of music does your dad make? Have you heard St Anger? The bickering that accompanies their every move from this island is just plain sad. You may not like their music, but they've been on the top globally for a long time, Irish musicians, Irish management, Irish setup, yet all they seem to get is this constant whining from so many Irish people begrudging them their success. I don't get it. Do people bitch about the football team when they qualify for a tournament but play unattractive or orthodox and uninspiring football? You don't have to like their music but FFS don't bitch just because they are successful. Same goes for the Corrs. Can't stand their music but fair ****ing play to them, they've gone from nothing to be internationally successful, why the **** would I begrude them success just because they're Irish? That makes no sense. If U2 are a bland and mediocre as is being made out here, how come they're still a big name after 25 years? Can someone explain that please? Let's look at the facts, a purely marketing driven musical act has a shelf life of, what, seven years tops? Let me assure you, U2 were certainly not subject to large sums of money a la pop idol and that other ****e back in the late 70's. So Island markets the new album, duh. Island is there to make money. Would it be more artistically credible if they only released the album in Road Records and only on vinyl too, cos cd's are corporate bull****, yeah!

The crux of it is this, some Irish lads made it big. OK, maybe I think Cynic are much more artistically valid but they didn't even sell 10,000 albums so what? Insert whatever band you want to harp the merits of there. U2 made it. Fair ****ing play to them, they've stayed at the top when so many others have disappeared into the dirt. Some Irish people have worked the ****ty system to their favour. Personally, I'm impressed. Why are so many against that?

Doctor J !

BTW, I'm a recording professional - and not just a music fan. I have a good knowledge of the industry, and contacts that have been involved with acts including U2.

Doctor J wrote:
    Man, I don't know about you, but I give up on bands being 'groundbreaking' after the third or fourth album. Am I the only one who heard Zooropa? Was that not enough of a departure from the norm?

You give up on bands? You mustn't hold these bands in high esteem then.
    U2 have always tried to be trendy. Zooropa was exactly that. They got a dance album recorded as dance music got popular. They even got David Holmes to do remixes for the tracks. It was strategic - not artistic.
    Doctor J wrote:
    How long have U2 been at it, over 25 years? You expect a revolution every album?
    U2 have made a career out of revolutions every album. The fact that music has reached a stalemate in terms of "dance is has landed, what's next", U2's new album sounds like they weren't sure what to do at all. The trends set the pace for them before - this time they had no market trends other than Britney etc, and they couldn't enter that market.
    Doctor J wrote:
    You may not like their music, but they've been on the top globally for a long time, Irish musicians, Irish management, Irish setup, yet all they seem to get is this constant whining from so many Irish people begrudging them their success. I don't get it.
    What makes you think I don't like their music? I love their earlier albums like my left leg !! You reading someone elses post?

I'm not begrudging their success, I'm questioning the way they are now milking it.
    Doctor J wrote:
    You don't have to like their music but FFS don't bitch just because they are successful. Same goes for the Corrs. Can't stand their music but fair ****ing play to them, they've gone from nothing to be internationally successful, why the **** would I begrude them success just because they're Irish? That makes no sense. If U2 are a bland and mediocre as is being made out here, how come they're still a big name after 25 years? Can someone explain that please? Let's look at the facts, a purely marketing driven musical act has a shelf life of, what, seven years tops? Let me assure you, U2 were certainly not subject to large sums of money a la pop idol and that other ****e back in the late 70's. So Island markets the new album, duh. Island is there to make money. Would it be more artistically credible if they only released the album in Road Records and only on vinyl too, cos cd's are corporate bull****, yeah!

OK. You don't seem to know much about the industry afterall. In the late 70's early 80's, not every person could record. If a band were picked out by a record company, money was pumped in - of that be sure. In the late 90's, that all changed with computer aideded audio production. Suddenly, the cost of demos were gone, and it was made even harder to make it. The cost of launching an artist soared, and thus the amounts that would be spent on pop-idols etc. You think Steve Lillywhite was cheap for the recording of War? No. Do you think that U2's Joshua Tree was done on the cheap? I assure you, it cost a fortune to record. The gigs that followed cost a fortune to put together, but they paid divis once tickets were sold.
    U2 are still such a big name, because they have a personal wealth of 750 Million Euros. When you have that money, and the people involved with you have that much money, anything you do - along with the correct advertising - will work. It's very very simple. They have the money from when they were great, and they can use that money as collateral to keep themselves up there.
    Doctor J wrote:
    The crux of it is this, some Irish lads made it big. OK, maybe I think Cynic are much more artistically valid but they didn't even sell 10,000 albums so what? Insert whatever band you want to harp the merits of there. U2 made it. Fair ****ing play to them, they've stayed at the top when so many others have disappeared into the dirt. Some Irish people have worked the ****ty system to their favour. Personally, I'm impressed. Why are so many against that?
    I think they were great. They were the best thing. I love the Coors - again they have a big advertising budget. There is nothing wrong with my music taste, and a good song is a good song. The passion is gone from U2. However, they can't let go. So now, they market themselves as something they are not. They use the money from the people who supported them all the years, and they present an image of themselves that is not accurate. They present the image, because they can't live up to it, and they are afraid they will loose money if people heard Bono sing out of tune. To be a great band, these things are not acceptable. No singer who walks into my studio singing out of tune will ever be taken on for anything. That goes for other studios too. If however that singer had 750 Million Euros and a reputation, my mind could be altered!!!

U2 will eventually need to hang up the boots, and I suspected it would happen after the last album. I missed the gig (I've never seen them), and thought I'd never see them live. I was shocked to see the new album on it's way out - and hearing their guitar techs saying "the album is totally hot - pumping etc" I expected more than what they recorded. However, my new contact with their tour financiers will ensure I get to see them this time and I will probably cry when I hear With or Without You and countless other classics (I'm serious - I get a lump in my throat thinking about it). However, I won't be emotionaly moved by most of their new tracks, and the same for the last album. I enjoy singing A-Ha's "Sun doesn't shine" over Beautiful day when I get the chance. I'm not begrudging them anything - fair balls. I say the same for Bill Gates, and for Dick Cheney (who both came from nothing). I really dislike what they have done, and I don't like the way any ot them are going about it.

Bono, I have on good information, would have you believe that he is the humble White Dove - while the truth is he is one of the most ignorant ruthless people in the industry. There are not many Humble White Doves with as much money as him.

No More, bed for me :)

Heh heh heh, you make your initial post like you're stunned that they've mimed on TV, like this is their greatest sin, now you've been disppointed with them for years, so why are you making such a meal of them miming on TV, surely with Bono being no white dove this is the sort of thing they'd have been doing for years? You say you're gutted? Surely you've seen this fateful day coming through the years of mediocrity? Now they finally went and mimed and oh woe is me! How could they do this to us. Bastards. They mimed, a knife through the heart of all that was left of honest Irish music. It seems to me you're just looking for a reason to gripe about them. If you're a recording professional then I'd hazard a guess that it hasn't been for long. Not taking a swing here, but you've changed your arguement since this you started this thread from "I'm gutted" to "They've been **** for years" and Bono can't sing. Studio etiquette is a big part of recording, my friend, don't find that out the hard way. You're an engineer, right? Do you know what kind of facilities were available in the Jonathan Ross studio? Do you reckon they would've been able to push the amps up without the floor manager ****ting himself? Do you know if it's that show's policy to have live music? Most TV shows are very definitely against it, in my experience. Do you reckon, if Bono had instisted on singing live with the band playing live and the studio manager was arguing against it, that you'd be calling Bono a whore and an arsehole because he said "do you know who we are?" in that big headed way and put his foot down like an arsehole and we've got to play live or we're walking way blah blah blah If you're really an engineer you should be very well aware of this stuff already. Why should they stop? Just because you think they've sold out? Come on, are you 15? If you work in the music industry you should know better, a lot better. I guarantee your studio has no issue sucking corporate cock to get paychecks to record the next pop boy band bull****. And I guarantee your lips will be puckering up too. "Would you like milk with that tea, Mr McFadden, sir?". Gotta get paid, right? :)

You question the way they milk it? Why would they not milk it? What do they owe you? Why would any band not want to make the most of their opportunity for as long as they can? As for artisitic credibilty, as you're a pro you'll be aware he records with a 58? No expencive tube mics here, just a 58 with the monitors blaring. Not exactly prissy prima donna type of stuff. The guy records vocals in a way he's happy with despite the leared opinion that he should be wearing cans and isolated. Is that not even a teeeny bit artisitic? I've heard plenty of stories about Bono, I have contacts too, and as I said before, I hear he's a **** but I've never met him myself, so I'm going to refrain form making any judgements about the guy until I can say it for myself. If you want to make a career for yourself you'd do well to not get into the habit of slagging people who may one day be paying for your bread and milk, especially when you're only passing on second hand info.

As I said, do you seriously expect a band in their 40's who've knocked out that many albums to re-invent music with each release? I'm long enough in the tooth to remeber people who said they had sold out long before The Joshua Tree was released. Meh, it doesn't sound like their old stuff whaaaa whaaa whaaa! For some reason, Irish people seem to reserve a special kind of pettiness for Irish bands, which I just don't understand and they dig up all these petty reasons to try to make out such and such a band are arseholes. It's tiring. Bono, regardless of what sort of personality he is, has expoited his postition to try to alleviate thrid world debt. That's alot more than you or I have done. If they only put out one **** album after another just so he can keep in the news and bringing this shameful issue to the medias attention then that'll do for me. U2 are never going to keep everyone happy. They manipulate the filthiest business there is to their advantage. Get over it. If only more Irish bands would do the same. Artistic integrity? That doesn't exist in the music business. It's a business. Music is the commodity. That's the real world. Shift units. Your job, as an engineer, is to record the ****e that will shift units and lap it up and to come back for more. So who's the bad guy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Ok, last few posts were too long for me to read and im short on time, but bottom line is, I hate U2 and the Corrs' music (im a pure metalhead) but if it wasn't for those two bands (arguably two of the most successful irish bands), along with Thin Lizzy and Rory Gallagher, do you think and major labels would think of looking in this country for any new talent???

Aswell as that, I can't think of any Belgian bands. Belgium is very like Ireland, in terms of population, geographical size and is in the EU. But I can't think of any major bands that have come out of Belgium at all, despite there being possibly hundreds of talented acts there. Even a Belgian metal scene? You might wonder what I'm ranting about, but I would imagine Ireland to be like Belgium these days if it wasn't for the likes of U2, The Corrs and Thin Lizzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

Hmmm, off the top of my head, the ones everybody knows....
    One
    With Or Without You
    Even Better Than The Real Thing
    Where The Streets Have No Name
    The Fly
    Mysterious Ways
    Pride(In The Name Of Love)
    Desire
    Angel Of Harlem
    Sunday Bloody Sunday
    I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    When Love Comes To Town
    All I Want Is You

Yeah, crap band alright, how did they ever conquer the world......

If you can't recognise the inherent quality in the above songs you are a musical retard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Phil_321 wrote:
    Hmmm, off the top of my head, the ones everybody knows....
    One
    With Or Without You
    Even Better Than The Real Thing
    Where The Streets Have No Name
    The Fly
    Mysterious Ways
    Pride(In The Name Of Love)
    Desire
    Angel Of Harlem
    Sunday Bloody Sunday
    I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    When Love Comes To Town
    All I Want Is You

Yeah, crap band alright, how did they ever conquer the world......

If you can't recognise the inherent quality in the above songs you are a musical retard.

Too true, its such a pity to see such begrudging bastards like the people writing on this form. Why is it that people cant handle an Irish band being this succesful. I will just quote something from Bono which has been prooved here -

"An American man sees another man standing outside of his mansion with his beautiful wife and three kids with all his nice cars and says to himself someday I'm gonna be as rich and succesful as that guy. An Irish man then see's the same guy and says - some day Im gonna catch that guy and beat the **** out of him and run a key down the side of his car."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

"An American man sees another man standing outside of his mansion with his beautiful wife and three kids with all his nice cars and says to himself someday I'm gonna be as rich and succesful as that guy. An Irish man then see's the same guy and says - some day Im gonna catch that guy and beat the **** out of him and run a key down the side of his car."

Yes, because aspiration to wealth is a key element of american society, and look where it's got them.

Irish society used to have something more than a crass obsession with accumulating material objects and status, which has sadly been eroded by the american values so eloquently advocated by Bono and his ilk.

This concept of 'begrudgery' is the Irish equivalent of 'Anti-Semitism'. If you have a problem with a person who happens to be rich or successful your opinion is automatically derided as 'begrudgery'. Much in the same way you can't criticise the politics of the state of Israel without them screaming 'Anti-Semitism!'.

Trust me, I have no interest in leading the sad vacuous existence that Bono has created for himself, nor do I have any interest in his money or fame. I just happen to think he's a puffed-up, nylon-hair-plugged little middle-aged man who is sorely lacking in dignity. I also think he's reasonably talented, and that early U2 stuff was good (I love New Year's Day etc). I just don't think anything they've done recently is very relevant, or good. The fact that he carries out good works for charity does not mean that he is exempt from criticism in his musical career.

And they were doing U2 Karaoke on Jonathan Woss. And that bit were Bono ripped his t-shirt open made me gag/laugh in equal measure.

In short, give it a rest grandad.

I can't think of any Belgian bands

Soulwax / 2 Many DJs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

magpie wrote:
    Soulwax / 2 Many DJs

Never heard of 'em.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement