Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 90's Metal

Options
  • 06-05-2001 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

In no particular order after the first one:

1. Helloween |TIE|
    1. Gamma Ray |TIE|
    2. Morbid Angel
    3. Stratovarius
    4. Iced Earth
    5. Rhapsody
    6. Hammerfall
    7. Satyricon
    8. Labyrinth
    9. Suffocation
    10.Primal Fear
    11.Running Wild
    12.Primordial
    13.Death
    14.Control Denied
    15.Marduk
    16.Immortal
    17.Cannibal Corpse
    18.Pink Cream 69
    19.Vision Divine
    20,Edguy
    21.Grave Digger
    22.Kamelot
    23.Bruce Dickinson
    24.Nile
    25.Pessimist
    26.Ayreon
    27.SymphonyX
    28.Dream Theatre (of course!!)
    29.Angra
    30.Angelcorpse
    31.Secret Sphere
    32. Judas Priest

I could of course mention many more but these are the ones the spring to mind!!

By the way, I would have stuck the awesome AVANTASIA (www.tobiassammet.com) in too but it's more of a project than a proper band. All the same, I rate this material highly. Manowar and Iron Maiden don't make it in simply because they have both only had one good album in the 90's - and that just isn't good enough.

Again, please note this list is *not* in order of preference. If I had to do that I'd drive myself insane heheh...

Does anyone here have similar tastes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Doh! Emperor should be in there, and after seeing Nightwish at wacken last year...why not stick them in too?

I'm sure I'll think of more and more bands that I've forgotten.

Like Kreator, Anihilator and Obituary!

Doooooohhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I scoff at thee...

You mention such fabulous bands, and yet Cradle Of Filth are not amongst these?
    biggrin.gif

Well thats another one to add to your list...

As well as:

Dimmu Borgir
    Opeth
    Lacuna Coil
    Type O Negative
    Nine Inch Nails
    Tristania

And just out of spite.
    I met Marduk. biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Death Metal wise Id have to have Bathory (Blood Fire Death), Death(Leprosy) and Obituary(Slowly We Rot). Putting in albums to tell u round about the time-frame i was listening to that. about 10 years ago really. Kreator yeah them too. I dunno there was alot of good stuff about back then. Napalm Death, from enslavement to obliteration and scum everything else they did imo sucked. Anyway.....

_ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _
    <A HREF="http://homepage.eircom.net/~cullenm&quot; TARGET=_blank>
    sig.jpg
    </A>
    http://run.to/pile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I seem to recall my taste for heavy metal getting heavier and heavier until I got 3 of deaths albums. I listened to them once and my taste returned to lighter stuff. I dunno, I like to have a vocalist that can actually sing to compliment the instruments, rather listen to some guy groan and roar into a mic.
    I was always fond of Kreator and Paradise Lost ...

Redesigned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Can we include Alloys? Oops biggrin.gif /me just realised the topics true meaning tongue.gif

Citer le Cordeau "JennyRooba" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

god, now some of these take me back.
    what ****e did i listen too?
    carcass, awww great stuff.
    death. well, i mean, the original death metal band!
    paradise lost. saw them in mcgonagles. you young uns wouldnt remember that place!!!
    metallica, still the best concerts i have ever been too.
    suicidal tendencies. like the band so much, i got the tattoo. mind you, its embaressing now smile.gif
    cannabil corpse. ahhh heppy re-birthday!
    god, too many other really crappy bands to mention. although liked helloween and stuff.
    mind you, these all seem to be bands that were left over from the 80's.
    did any good metal bands appear in the 90's?
    if the did, i think i missed them as my musical taste sort of changed when i left school in 92 and i found out there was sooo much more to listen to than people singing er, songs whilst chewing beer bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    people singing er, songs whilst chewing beer bottles.</font>

lol, very humourous indeed smile.gif

But oh, no tears please, fear and pain may acompany death, but it is desire that sheperds its certainty, as we shall see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dagon:

1. Helloween |TIE|
    1. Gamma Ray |TIE|
    2. Morbid Angel
    3. Stratovarius
    4. Iced Earth
    5. Rhapsody
    6. Hammerfall
    7. Satyricon
    8. Labyrinth
    9. Suffocation
    10.Primal Fear
    11.Running Wild
    12.Primordial
    13.Death
    14.Control Denied
    15.Marduk
    16.Immortal
    17.Cannibal Corpse
    18.Pink Cream 69
    19.Vision Divine
    20,Edguy
    21.Grave Digger
    22.Kamelot
    23.Bruce Dickinson
    24.Nile
    25.Pessimist
    26.Ayreon
    27.SymphonyX
    29.Angra
    30.Angelcorpse
    31.Secret Sphere
    32. Judas Priest

By the way, I would have stuck the awesome AVANTASIA (www.tobiassammet.com) in too but it's more of a project than a proper band. All the same, I rate this material highly. Manowar and Iron Maiden don't make it in simply because they have both only had one good album in the 90's - and that just isn't good enough.

Again, please note this list is *not* in order of preference. If I had to do that I'd drive myself insane heheh...

</font>

Wow, you know so many bands. Why don't you tellus EVERY band you know and impress us even more. rolleyes.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Shut up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    god, now some of these take me back.
    what ****e did i listen too?
    carcass, awww great stuff.
    death. well, i mean, the original death metal band!
    paradise lost. saw them in mcgonagles. you young uns wouldnt remember that place!!!
    metallica, still the best concerts i have ever been too.
    suicidal tendencies. like the band so much, i got the tattoo. mind you, its embaressing now smile.gif
    cannabil corpse. ahhh heppy re-birthday!
    god, too many other really crappy bands to mention. although liked helloween and stuff.
    mind you, these all seem to be bands that were left over from the 80's.
    did any good metal bands appear in the 90's?
    if the did, i think i missed them as my musical taste sort of changed when i left school in 92 and i found out there was sooo much more to listen to than people singing er, songs whilst chewing beer bottles.
    </font>

Well...actually you have missed a lot of great new bands and some great material by older bands. Helloween have progressed and grown throughout the 90's, never once being left choking in the dust (like Iron Maiden, who went backwards not forwards in the 90's). They have done the impossible by keeping with the times yet with one foot firmly in their glorious past. From the list, I'm sure you can see a decent smattering of newer bands like Rhapsody and Labyrinth and probably Stratovarius who only came into their own in 94ish. These are incredible bands too, and none of them sing whilst chewing beer bottles (heheh) although if you want some deathgrunts and thrash riffs, theres plenty of that around too. Destruction have a great new album out and the new Kreator is said to be a return to the old style (I love Pleasure to Kill).

I saw Cannibal Corpse last year in dublin and they were incredible, I've also seend Morbid ANgel twice in the last year and they slay live! As do Iron Maiden...

If you were into Helloween before, you should certainly check out Gamma Ray, it's basically Kai Hansens band and he is the singer too. They are possibly the second best live band I've seen (after Iron Maiden of course)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

1. Helloween |TIE|
    1. Gamma Ray |TIE|
    2. Morbid Angel
    3. Stratovarius
    4. Iced Earth
    5. Rhapsody
    6. Hammerfall
    7. Satyricon
    8. Labyrinth
    9. Suffocation
    10.Primal Fear
    11.Running Wild
    12.Primordial
    13.Death
    14.Control Denied
    15.Marduk
    16.Immortal
    17.Cannibal Corpse
    18.Pink Cream 69
    19.Vision Divine
    20,Edguy
    21.Grave Digger
    22.Kamelot
    23.Bruce Dickinson
    24.Nile
    25.Pessimist
    26.Ayreon
    27.SymphonyX
    29.Angra
    30.Angelcorpse
    31.Secret Sphere
    32. Judas Priest

</font>

amazing. someone has managed to post a list of 32 artists, only 2 of which i have ever heard of, not to mind heard their music

Durty auld Morris drums... they're fu*kin' great!!

I suppose that makes you COOL or something then, boddah?

no, where the f*ck did you get the idea that that was what i was implying?

i just said that i've only heard of 2 of those bands

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OSiriS:
    I dunno, I like to have a vocalist that can actually sing to compliment the instruments, rather listen to some guy groan and roar into a mic.

</font>

Are you implying that singers who do roar into the mic can't actually sing?
    A surprising number of metal vocalists who scream and groan are fantastic singers.

And anyway, why doesnt screaming into a microphone compliment really heavy metal?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

heavy metal is cack.

i too have only heard of 2/3 of those bands.

cack i say.....CACK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by the celtic tiger:
    heavy metal is cack.

i too have only heard of 2/3 of those bands.

cack i say.....CACK!
    </font>

All a matter of personal taste, that's what I say.

But oh, no tears please, fear and pain may acompany death, but it is desire that sheperds its certainty, as we shall see...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by --Kaiser--:
    A surprising number of metal vocalists who scream and groan are fantastic singers.

And anyway, why doesnt screaming into a microphone compliment really heavy metal?
    </font>

Hehehe, right now I'm listening to Angra's version of "Wuthering Heights". Anyone know who did that song originally? Well...Angra are one versatile band, they can do some fairly heavy speedy stuff but they also have laid back, easier listening stuff (like their version of w.h.). Believe it or not, this guy (Andre Matos) can sing as good as Kate Bush, not one note out of key (and I would know, I've done many years of classical piano/ear training). The only difference is the use of some electric guitars in the background and a really fantastic piece of lead guitar that obviously wasn't in the original version.

"screaming into a microphone"? Not quite...

more like farting into microphones, eh Kaiser? smile.gif

Durty auld Morris drums... they're fu*kin' great!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭zeemoud

music is what you want it to be its so vast and openly available, so everybody has a diferent favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by --Kaiser--:

</font>

I wasn't implying anyhting, just stating that I like to hear them sing. Knowing that they are fine singers doesnt change what they are doing, and while it is to many peoples taste, it is not to mine.

Redesigned

• Advertisement

Lots of metal bands variate between screaming gutterally and singing normally, you should listen to some Opeth

Yes, and lots of Metal bands have singers that *only* sing really melodic, difficult stuff with the precision of an opera singer. For examples, check out Rhapsody, Labyrinth, Angra, SymphonyX...open your minds to the world of music smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yeah, Opeth.
    Although I personaly prefer the clean vocals there, the distorted sounds a bit too much like Death Metal Vocals for my liking...
    But fantastic band none the less.

As for what Dagon said about the melodic singing, check out Nightwish. Their singer *IS* an Opera singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 strader

In my opinion the best metal band of the 90s is Amorphis. Check out their first 3 albums, The Karellian Isthmus, Thousand Lakes and Elegy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Hehehe, right now I'm listening to Angra's version of "Wuthering Heights". Anyone know who did that song originally? ...
    </font>

you will find kate bush originally did it.
    good tune as well

Your Dungeon Is On An Incline;
    Irate Creatures Cannot Play Marbles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Black666Evil

What the **** is your problem "Dagon"?

Ok you had some good bands in there, henceforth sprung the legions of gay Metal bands mixed in like a pot of bad stew. Rhapsody sing about unicorns and Gamma ray wrote songs based on ****ing Star-anorak-Trek. How cool is that? Not very cool at all I'd wager, in fact maybe they should all be destroyed!

And that band Immortal are also a totally homosexual bunch with all manner of makeup and eyeliner. And Dream theater? they are an overly musician oriented bunch of show-offs. By the way, Wacken is called off.

Sorry to **** on your parade and all --- but it has to be done.

Advertisement