Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hooking up a DVD Recorder to Sky Plus

• 05-12-2004 7:58pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just got myself a DVD Recorder and am having trouble hooking it up to the Sky Plus box. I've got the TV Scart connected to AV1 on the Recorder and Sky+ Scart connected to AV2 on the Recorder. When I record AV2 though it records what's on the TV and I can't seem to record the Sky Plus feed. Should it be possible to use the Copy feature in Sky Plus to record to the DVD Recorder and if so, how? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

You can only record onto a DVD what you are watching.
    If you want to record something that you are not watching, you will have to record it onto the Sky+ box.
    The Sky plus box may have two inputs but it definitely does not have two outputs.
    This makes sure people have to have a mirror sub if they want to watch a second program at the same time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I understand that I can't record something and watch something at the same time. The problem I'm having is that when I try to record something from the Sky Plus box, it actually only records what's physically on the TV. I was trying to record a recorded Sky Plus program but when I changed channel on the TV (analogue) it recorded the analogue feed. ie. it recorded what was on the TV and not what was coming from the Sky Plus Box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭thrillseeker

Can you not select which AV input to the DVD recorder is used for recording? It sounds like its recording AV1 and not AV2.

that's the thing. I have the Sky Plus connected to AV2 on the DVD Recorder but when I record AV2 it's still recording what's on the TV. ie. I can't turn the TV off or switch to Analogue with ruining the recording. I'm gonna setup the system again tonight and try and figure it. I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

have you tried disconnecting the AV1 scart link to the telly?

• Advertisement

dmeehan wrote:
    have you tried disconnecting the AV1 scart link to the telly?

Not yet but even if that worked it would mean putting it in or out depending on whether I was recording or watching a DVD. Gonna have fun trying to untangle* all the wires behind the TV tonight and put it all back together again.

* why do wires tangle themselves like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

LFCFan wrote:
    * why do wires tangle themselves like that?

The signals passing through the wires create a little magnetic field that is stong enough to attract other wires and twist them around each other. The more wires the stronger the various fields and the more tangled they will become. :D

ShaneOC wrote:
    The signals passing through the wires create a little magnetic field that is stong enough to attract other wires and twist them around each other. The more wires the stronger the various fields and the more tangled they will become. :D
    it's like that scene from Superman 2 when the machine traps Superman with it's wires. Does that mean if you set up a timelapse camera pointed at all the wires, you'd could see them moving about? That'd be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

LFCFan wrote:
    that's the thing. I have the Sky Plus connected to AV2 on the DVD Recorder but when I record AV2 it's still recording what's on the TV. ie. I can't turn the TV off or switch to Analogue with ruining the recording. I'm gonna setup the system again tonight and try and figure it. I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing.

It is to do with the auto-switching that the various pieces (TV, DVD and sky+) do when connected by scart leads, it can over-ride the manual settings, when several multi-function pieces are interconnected it can switch in all sorts of unhelpful ways.

There should be some settings on the DVD recorder and the sky+ to turn the feature on or off, on my Philips DVD I think it is called "Direct Recording"

Failing that you can always doctor the scart leads to stop the switching signal being picked up, just take them apart and cut out pin 8, it doesn't effect the picture or sound it just stops the auto-switching signal.

just reading the userguide and there's an option to tell the DVD
    Recorder that there's a seperate decoder being used on AV1. I think I
    have this set to on so maybe if I turn this off it'll start working
    ok. I'll try it this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

LFCFan wrote:
    it's like that scene from Superman 2 when the machine traps Superman with it's wires. Does that mean if you set up a timelapse camera pointed at all the wires, you'd could see them moving about? That'd be cool.

Unfortunately this would not be possible as the magnetic field would disrupt the recording process :D. It would appear as if they had not moved.

ShaneOC wrote:
    Unfortunately this would not be possible as the magnetic field would disrupt the recording process :D. It would appear as if they had not moved.

Ah, then how to we really know that this is what happens? Maybe it's the wire fairies coming out at night and ****ing about with the wires to drive us insane. Also, it doesn't explain how fairy lights end up the way they do even though you took time to make sure they were wrapped up properly the year before. It's kind of like the 'if a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound'. Ok, I'm losing the plot now. I need to get out of this office :eek:

Got it working at last. Changed a few settings and reconnected all the wires. Works a treat now. It's a great machine (LG 4912)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Hi LFCFan, I've have just recieved the same model(LG 4912) as a present, would you mind sharing your optimal set up? Might help me tonight when I set it up.
    i.e. Scart to AV1 etc??

Thanks,

P

padshea2 wrote:
    Hi LFCFan, I've have just recieved the same model(LG 4912) as a present, would you mind sharing your optimal set up? Might help me tonight when I set it up.
    i.e. Scart to AV1 etc??

Thanks,

P

Ok, hope this is correct:

AV1 on LG to Scart Connection on TV
    AV2 on LG to AV2 on AV2 on Sky Plus Box
    AV1 on Sky Plus Box to Scart Connection on TV
    I have my NTL Analogue looped through the LG aswell and can record this feed using the TV position on the LG.

There is an option for AV Decoder somewhere in the Setup screen. Make sure this is set to Off. You only set this to On if you have a seperate decoder.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭corm500

I too have a problem in relation to my Sky+ and DVD recorder setup. When playing a dvd I get a sound bleed coming from the sky box, sort of like muffled dialogue from whatever is showing on the digibox at the time. any ideas ?

Corm500

Advertisement