Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a Provisinol

Options
  • 05-12-2004 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm 16 at the moment and I'm turning 17 in January. I am hoping to apply for a Provisional Driving Licence after my birthday. I would like if you could give me some advise on the best way to go about getting it. I have very little experiance behind the wheel, but have practiced the odd time with supervision. Should I go for lessons from a Driving School? If so, how much would they be? When should I get the lessons? Which school is the best? etc.. If you have any advice regarding this matter, can you please post it!

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

you don't need lessons to get a provisional licence,, you just got to pass the theory test..

Why do you want a provisional licence? just for id? Or are you planning on being a named driver or something?

*edit* by the way, at 16 you should have NO experience behind ANY wheel.. unless its on the bumper cars..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Go into any garda station or liabary (spelling) and ask for an application form for a provo driving licence fill it in, then get your passport sized photos and send them off to your local motor taxation office. For driving lessons you might want to have a look in the golden pages or independant directory as the irish school of motoring are a bit pricey. You also may have to do a theory test if this is your first one since they brought in the theory test. This should put you on the right track.

lest not forget the theory test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Yeah I get ya's, So there's Definatly NO driving test to be done other than the Theory Test.

Where can I get stuff on whats gonna be on the test?

No driving test at all.. you won't have to step foot in a car..

you can get a good cd rom in easons that has every question that can be asked.. and you can take the test at home multiple times for practise.. much better than the book imo.. the test isn't hard tbh.. just keep doin the test on the cd rom until you get everything right and you're laughin

• Advertisement

How much is this cd, Whats it called?

Also.. If you have it, I may be interested in buying it off you!

I'm just leaving the pc now, probably for an hour i'll be back then to reply to your answers!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Shrimp wrote:
    How much is this cd, Whats it called?

Also.. If you have it, I may be interested in buying it off you!

I'm just leaving the pc now, probably for an hour i'll be back then to reply to your answers!

Thanks

You sure you can afford the insurance if you're questioning the price of a CD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Funny coincidence i was just practicing on it and for the name .... 'The OfficiaL Driver Theory Test'

Very good ... just keep at it ... true if you are worrying about the price of the cd and not insurance

Good luck

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hal1 wrote:
    Go into any garda station or liabary (spelling) and ask for an application form for a provo driving licence fill it in, then get your passport sized photos and send them off to your local motor taxation office. For driving lessons you might want to have a look in the golden pages or independant directory as the irish school of motoring are a bit pricey. You also may have to do a theory test if this is your first one since they brought in the theory test. This should put you on the right track.
    Do you not (or at least didn't you) need an eyetest for the prov licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭flyinfishmonkey

Here you go. You can practice the Theory test here till your hearts content and it will give different questions nearly every time you try it. It is very similar to the actual Theory Test that they run (though there are some questions that aren't on there but should be common knowledge to an experienced beginner who has read the Rules of The Road). Don't go near the real test till you're at least answering 38/39 out of 40 of these mock ones, even though you only need to answer 35 correctly to pass the actual test. Good luck!!

http://www.soyouwanttodrive.com/b.php?b_cat=1&level=1

• Advertisement

I suppose I shouldn't worry about the price of the cd..

I did the test on that site and got................. *Drum Roll*

32/40 FIRST TIME AROUND!!

I'm happy with that, First time with so study what so ever. I know it's a fail but not a terrible fail at that! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I didn't really know what order I had to do things when I was going about my provisional so here's a list:
    1. Apply for a theory test (by form or by phone) (info here). If you do it by phone (you'll need a credit card number, it's €34), they give you a date and place straight away. I was given about a month to study I think.
    2. Study for the theory test (with the official book or CD) (only takes a few days)
    3. Pass the theory test (you'll be given a cert).
    4. Get an eye test done at the opticians.
    5. Get two passport photos done.
    6. Get a provisional driving licence application form.
    7. Fill it out, and then submit it at your local Motor Tax Office (with the theory test, eye test, passport photos, birth cert or passport, and €15) (info here)

I don't think I've forgotten anything major there. Once you've them done you can start getting lessons, and then apply for a full licence.

More useful official info here: http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/

Shrimp wrote:
    I did the test on that site and got................. *Drum Roll*

32/40 FIRST TIME AROUND!!

I'm happy with that, First time with so study what so ever. I know it's a fail but not a terrible fail at that! :D:D:D:D
    Congrats!! I reckon everything you need to know is pretty much on that website also. Details about applying for the provisional and what you need also. Good luc with it and Happy Motoring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I failed the test! (31 out of 40) A I'd take issue with the seatbelt question, in my car I tell the passenger what to do!

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    I failed the test! (31 out of 40) A I'd take issue with the seatbelt question, in my car I tell the passenger what to do!

Mike.

I know, it's gas! I been driving for years and did it for the doss and kept getting the odd one or two wrong about Insurance questions or coming across an accident and giving someone a drink etc. and then the Missus sat down to try and has her second Provisional and badda-bing she gets the whole lot right first go! Now she thinks she's Stirling Moss!!! hehehe
    Ah well, she can dream. Beginners luck hey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My excuse is that I'm driving so long I've forgotten all the trivial rules! That and the fact no theory test existed back in the early 80s.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    My excuse is that I'm driving so long I've forgotten all the trivial rules! That and the fact no theory test existed back in the early 80s.

Mike.
    Yeah twas about '84/85 that I started myself and boy how things have changed. How we get old so quickly! OOps, maybe I should speak for myself lol

D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Sweet, I got 35 out of 40 and I've never even driven a car before! Hehe! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

kbannon wrote:
    Do you not (or at least didn't you) need an eyetest for the prov licence?

Almost forgot about that eye test :eek:

• Advertisement

Good job!

Thats a very handy lil site! I';m chuffed be my result! I'll be going over it again till I can get 40/40 five times in a row! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

so whats the story... are you planning on a buying a car.. i'm interested in how your gonna pay for it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

newband wrote:
    *edit* by the way, at 16 you should have NO experience behind ANY wheel.. unless its on the bumper cars..
    You can drive a car on private property
    can't you?

Yeah, Fletch you right!

I'm mainly getting it for ID and so that I'll have experiance for when I get my Full Licence! Also my mom is sayin she doesnt want me driving, but she doesn't mind me gettin a prov.?? maybe after this she will see that i've passed it and she'll see I would be safe!?

fletch wrote:
    You can drive a car on private property
    can't you?

not without a licence??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

38 out of 40, that musical horn was a sly one, I went for C. In hindsight the first one I got wrong should have been obvious :/
    wrote:
    Well done - you've passed.
    But you got 2 wrong. Here are the correct answers to those questions:

Question: Look at this sign. What does it mean?
    stop_ped.gif
    Ans A: No access. Pedestrianised street ahead
    Ans B: Stop
    Ans C: Pedestrian crossing ahead

Answer: b

Question: Are you allowed to use a musical horn on your vehicle?

Ans A: No
    Ans B: Yes
    Ans C: Yes, but only during daylight hours

Answer: a

Lol.. i dont think you can have a musical horn Full Stop! :p:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 funkyniff

in the test from what i remember you have 35 q's and have to egt over 30.
    these are easy..
    save your self some money tho dont buy the cd...
    go to the libery and get the book..read it make sure ya know everything...some qs are silly tho. and some are tricky.
    i now have a provitional and waiting for the nxt step..might get my boss to write a letter saying i need one soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

38/40 and one of the two I got wrong involved a sign I've not seen before.
    right.gif

Advertisement