Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How might I spell...

• 05-12-2004 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

the first syllable of the word casual.

You know what I mean... people say it all the time but we were just wondering how might it be spelt. Nothing looks right.

Cash
    Casu
    Caj
    Casj
    Cahj

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭cyberbob

SteveD wrote:

You know what I mean... people say it all the time but we were just wondering how might it be spelt. Nothing looks right.

Cash
    Casu
    Caj
    Casj
    Cahj
    by using that funky phonetic alphabet that dictionarys use :
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=casual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

SteveD wrote:

Cash
    Casu
    Caj
    Casj
    Cahj

what the fúck are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The original poster is looking for a way to phonetically spell the first syllable of the word "casual".

I would suggest maybe... cazj?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Hmm... kăzh just don't look right...

Besides they just say it's pronounced ca·su·al

That's ca-su-al like no j sound in the su part...

Ah well I guess we'll just never know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

You always use K for hard C sounds, and to make a letter sound like its capital, you put a line over it... i.e. my nick is Bāss.exe

Edit: Su would be Zhu , and Al would be... al:D

• Advertisement

The ă is more of a kind of up sound though (see it's not just horizontal like ā)

Like Kah which is what I'm going for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I.n.f.o.r.m.a.l.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

cah-shu-al

Bass.exe wrote:
    i.e. my nick is Bāss.exe
    And here I was thinking you were going for the executable version of Bertie's favourite tipple ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Might I just add that, if this is for some naff D4 email to some mate of yours where you're trying to write "dress code for the noight is cazj mon, ya know, so coolie beans yah?", a pox upon your progeny.

• Advertisement

Demeant0r wrote:
    cah-shu-al
    It's not the phoenetic spelling of casual I'm looking for. Just the 'cas'ual part of it...

Like kahj(best yet) to describe clothes or something

No it's not for some D4 head... who do you think I am?????

It just came up in a conversation one time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

SteveD wrote:
    And here I was thinking you were going for the executable version of Bertie's favourite tipple ;)

:D It gets more confusing when I just go by "Bass", cause then ppl are wondering "Does he mean the instrument/the megaman character/Beneath a Steel Sky/the fish/the drink/(and once) the type of jumping where you leap off a tall building.

In case you are wondering... it originally came from the instrument, but I had to add .exe because Bass is already taken on EVERY site on the internet.... much like Megaman, Zero... and all the rest of those characters. Bleh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Cas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Phonetically the first part of casual would be
    'kaз' The final symbol is Cyrillic/Russian and is pronounced the same way , Unicode value is 0437, so browser needs to be set to UTF8

Check out the IPA web site
    http://www2.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/ipachart.html

Alternatively any decent dictionary will show the phonetic spelling

is_that_so wrote:
    Alternatively any decent dictionary will show the phonetic spelling
    Well ya see the reason I can't find it in a dictionary is cos it ain't an actual word. All the dictionaries take into account the fact that there's a u after it which softens the s into a j-ish sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

the sound you're looking for is the same sound as the one in the middle of "vision" and "evasion", and the one at the start of "Zsa Zsa" (Gabor). perhaps the easiest way for a non-phonetician to represent this sound is something like "zh", like a voiced version of "sh". the IPA symbol for it looks like a "z" with a tail, or a fancy "3". (you don't really need to know, but the name of the sound is a voiced postalveolar fricative)

if you look at this website, you can click each of the sounds to hear how it's pronounced (he pronounces each consonant sound between two vowels)
    http://hctv.humnet.ucla.edu/departments/linguistics/VowelsandConsonants/course/chapter1/chapter1.html

look for fricative on the vertical axis and postalveolar on the horizontal axis and you'll find the one you want.

like a "z" with a tail
    Like Jimmy Page's Led Zep symbol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

i don't know the led zep symbol, but if you look at that website, you'll see the one i'm talking about. as I said, though, the best way to represent it for you would probably be something like "zh" - it's close to "sh"

Advertisement