Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 magnum

Options
  • 06-12-2004 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

i have just recently purchased a Cz .22 magnum from my local dealer. Im more of a shotgun person myself and this is my first rifle.

I was just wondering
    1. What would be the best scope to get for it be and the price
    and 2. are tha ballastic tip bullets any good or should i stick to the ordinary ones. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I suppose the Scope you buy depends on 2 main things ..
    1...What you plan to use it for ..
    2...How much your prepared too pay...

Best plan is to work out the maximum your prepared to spend ,
    Add €75.00 and go shopping .

I have read very good reviews of Swift Optics products ..
    I think they are around the €300 range..

As far as bullets go ... There again it depends what you are shooting at ..
    Also some rifles "Prefer" different types of ammo .
    Best bet is to get a small sample of each and see which groups best with your gun.

Hope this helps...

JayCee

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

I buy my scopes from
    http://www.skyoptics.com/
    they have an international order area on this site. With the euro so strong against the dollar they are very good value.
    I have bought a Tasco 4-24x50 a Burris 4-16x44mm bought excellent scopes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Skyoptics (and many other U.S. retailers) don't do International orders, and route foreign customers through 'American Goodies'.

American Goodies essentially purchase goods from American retailers, and ship them on to International customers, for a fee.
    Here's their 'Skyoptics' page-
    http://www.americangoodies.com/page/page/1000854.htm

Here's their pricing page-
    http://www.americangoodies.com/pricing.html
    Depending on the value of the item(s) purchased, they charge for postage, between $10 and $90 'shopping assistance fee', PLUS 8% 'of the total amount we spend on your behalf'.

As you say Terrier, the Euro is very strong against the Dollar at the moment, so even with all these charges it may still be good value, but it's worth being aware of them before going ahead with a purchase.

Also, things like riflescopes may or may not fall into some sort of Restricted Items catagory, depending on the techonolgy employed (night vision, etc), and retailers who aren't sure of the law might prefer not to export them as a general policy. They'd rather not have to deal with all the paperwork and attention from the BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives) and Homeland Security people, and just don't do it.

This stuff is a bit more complicated than buying a CD from Amazon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jaycee wrote:
    Also some rifles "Prefer" different types of ammo .
    And not just models of rifle, individual rifles prefer different makes and batches of ammo. In other words, you could take two of the same kind of rifle and feed them the same ammo and get different results; and you could take the same rifle and feed it two batches of the same kind of ammo (made on different days) and get different results.
    Best bet is to get a small sample of each and see which groups best with your gun.
    Exactly, it's called batch testing and it's a big part of getting the most out of your rifle, at least at the higher end of target shooting. If you're only starting off though, just buy a box of two or three types of ammo, with a moderate price (the high-end stuff is useless until you learn how to shoot - it'll shoot a group in the nine or ten ring, but you can only shoot a group in the 7 ring at the moment, for example), and see which works best for you. Stay with that for a while until you get more confidence in your ability with the rifle, and then try another few types and see if there's any improvement. And don't rely on your memory - write this stuff down. "Tried such-and-such ammunition today, no wind, group size was 25mm edge-to-edge". Then in a few months, you can check the new ammo against the old one and see which is better.

On the ballistic-tip stuff though, that's more for hunting. You could think of them as being a hollowpoint bullet with a small plastic point on the front for aerodynamics - when it hits the animal you're shooting at (they're mostly used for hunting), the plastic tip acts like a wedge to ensure the bullet deforms rapidly and transfers all it's kinetic energy to the animal, ensuring maximum damage and hopefully a clean, quick, humane kill. There's not a lot of point (so far as I know) in using them if you're not hunting - subsonic ammo is more accurate in a .22 and if you're at ranges where you can't use subsonic stuff (becuase it won't get far enough, you're talking 100m and more), there are better rounds to use for accuracy than the .22.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Rovi..
    I'm well aware of the extra costs American Goodies places on order's but I can assure you the saving a very impressive compare to rip-off Ireland. :eek:

There are no issues with exporting scopes from the USA as they are not classed under Firearms in the USA.. As for night vision thats a different ball game.

When you import to Ireland you are given the choice if you want to identify the goods on the packaging. Depending on your preference towards customs its your choice.

Since most people know someone in the states.. it pretty easy to organise purchases through them also...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

What is best for target shooting? I read something about hollowpoints being accurate due to weight distribution. Is such ammunition legal in Ireland?

I'm nowhere near enough proficient to worry about such things at the moment, so this is merely from interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hollowpoints are legal here Zak, but for target shooting are, well, not useless, but definitely not the best. Hollowpoints and ballistic tips are pretty much just for hunting as they're designed for maximum transfer of kinetic energy to whatever they hit.

For target shooting with .22lr rifles, you're talking about brands and varieties like Lapua (Master M, Master L, Midas in order of cost), Eley (Standard, Club, Match, Tenex in order of cost, and EPS variants of these which are a new bullet shape), RWS (R50, R100) and a fair few others. Personally, I use Lapua Master M, but you need to try them in your individual rifle to get what works best for you. Lapua Master or Eley Match would be a good comprimise until you get your position and technique sorted out - they're generally going to shoot better than you can, at least for the first year or two (or more if you're not training seriously).

With target shooting at a high level (and we're talking the top five or six shooters in the National Championships here), you're talking about going to the Eley or Lapua factories with your rifle and trying different batches of ammo in a benchrest and then buying five to ten thousand rounds or more from the best batch. Some shooters will have two or three different batches as well - ones for training, ones for competitions, and one or maybe two for really serious competitions :D

Terrier wrote:
    I'm well aware of the extra costs American Goodies places on order's but I can assure you the saving a very impressive compare to rip-off Ireland.
    Hi Terrier, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know that, sorry if it came across that way. :(
    I was just pointing it out in case someone went off ordering stuff, and got 'surprised' when the whole thing was totalled up.
    As you say, there can't be many Irish people who don't have some sort of contact in the U.S. to go shopping for them anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Pull!theother1

Any one ever had a look at www.cabelas.com?

Never ordered any sights off them but got loads of clothing and accessories as they cater for the "fuller" figure.

The price you see is what you pay, plus 20% for p+p or 40% for air mail.

Air mail tends to draw more attention from Customs though, as I have found out to my cost....... :eek:

Air mail takes less than 4 days for delivery and standard can be up to 6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

I do not know if air mail draws more attention, I live in america and shipped stuff 2 day delivery all the time to ireland and it never got much customs notice, never held by customs in IE (UK is a different story, but even there it was 2 out of 100 in a given month that were held and quickly released). I have shipped products with great regularity all marked as GIFT and they all went through no VAT or duty. The bigger problem I had was UPS claiming VAT & duty was owed (plus their 10-20 EUR fee for collecting it) because the destination address was a business (even though the product shipped was marked gift and the item listed on the customs declaration had nothing to do with the business, aparently UPS has never heard of people being at work during the day).

As for cabelas I agree they are a good store (and physically local to me :) ) and carry good products. We use a lot of stuff from them for hunting trips here.

Even though this last thread was a couple months ago I thought I would toss my two cents in, incase someone was considering purchasing and stumbled across this thread.

• Advertisement

trixter wrote:
    I live in america and shipped stuff 2 day delivery all the time to ireland
    <snip>
    As for cabelas I agree they are a good store (and physically local to me :) )
    Hi trixter, prepare yourself for a deluge of shopping-lists for Cabelas! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Pull!theother1

trixter wrote:
    The bigger problem I had was UPS claiming VAT & duty was owed (plus their 10-20 EUR fee for collecting it) because the destination address was a business (even though the product shipped was marked gift and the item listed on the customs declaration had nothing to do with the business, aparently UPS has never heard of people being at work during the day).

Yes it was UPS that hammered me the few times also. Some of my friends also got vatted with an Post........... :(

Waiting for my Christmas delivery at present. Cabelas bargain cave on the web site can be excellent with some massive discounts on sale items :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

FEDEX DHL,or UPS it.Do not send USmail!!!US mail ends up being distributed by a god awful courier company here in Ireland that takes on average SIX WEEKS to deliver a package from Dublin to Limerick.They advise that they have your package to clear customs and it costs E20 to clear it,irrespective of customs value.They advertise that you can pay by credit card.when i went to their office to collect the package.They couldnt do a credit card transaction,despite advertising such on their billing letterhead.CASH ONLY.
    Trying to get their head office in Dublin is ridicilous they never respond to email,fax or phone calls.All in all the company is a big company in Europe,but in Ireland it obvisouly is a franchise run by some chancer from his garden shed,who managed to BS the company that they could handle Ireland by the look of it.
    Another friend of mine who had his package deliverd four weeks late to Bof I Limerick.Despite his address being two blocks from the O Connell St branch!!!

OTOH UPS or Fedex has deliverd parts for me within their time stated,are internet trackable and have billed me customs clearance charges within 21 days.So for abit more money I would go courier anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RichieRich

hi, i just bought a .22 magnum also, i was looking at a .17 rimfire but was swayed by the extra punch of the magnum and also i am aware of the wind having a very noticeable effect on the .17 bullets, i hope i made the right choice? i didn't fire it yet as i am only today handing in my request for a licence to my local Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

E@gle. wrote: »
    i have just recently purchased a Cz .22 magnum from my local dealer. Im more of a shotgun person myself and this is my first rifle.

I was just wondering
    1. What would be the best scope to get for it be and the price
    and
    2. are tha ballastic tip bullets any good or should i stick to the ordinary ones. :confused:

Have a look through the for sale section here.

Bushnell scopes are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

clivej wrote: »
    Have a look through the for sale section here.

Bushnell scopes are very good.

Clive that orignal post by eagle was back in 2004.... But RichieRich might be interested.

+ 1 on the bushnell scopes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I have a lovely Burris Fullfield scope with a single piece mount I got it for half nothing in the US and it's €150 worth of kit easily.
    I've put both V-Max and hollow points through my rifle and I've found them both to be as accurate as each other out to 100~110yds. Haven't done much hunting with it since I got it unfortunately, too busy :(

As for
    Irishglockfan
    FEDEX DHL,or UPS it.Do not send USmail!!!US mail ends up being distributed by a god awful courier company here in Ireland that takes on average SIX WEEKS to deliver a package from Dublin to Limerick.

I believe you're refering to GLS who I though lost the contract for USPS stuff and now it goes with An Post again, although GLS were a truely terrible company. Bear in mind that all couriers are obliged to (and will) charge you duty it's not up to customs to "catch" them. Sending it to a private address by post gives you the best fighting chance.

NB I'm not in anyway condoning tax evasion it's illegal and God knows in this day and age the governemnt need every bit they can get ;)

Advertisement