Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats your fav dance style

• 06-12-2004 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

ive been listening to dance music since i was about 17 or 18,a tune called "for an angel" by Mr. Paul van Dyk gave me the dance bug and i havent looked back since, i just decided to start this thread to see what us irish folks are listening to and where you see dance music going within inin the next few years, personally im starting to listen to techno now,i blame this on a fella called loobz, (im really just nosey and want to know what eveyone else listens to!)
    ive noticed on other threads in the dance section that techno is very popular but all you trance and hard house addicts in here dont be afraid to post.
    let us know whats the first tune you heard that made your head nod :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i've been a fan of "hard house" since hearing Mark Kavanagh drop "what would you like to hear again?" back in '97 or something... the scene in ireland is nothing short of **** at the moment though. it seems to have a knee jerk connection to illiterate scumbags* (thanks in no small part to the hardbreed boys)
    i'm looking forward to nye and the chance of a proper rave, with real people.

tbh i'm just getting sick of the hard nrg sound that seems to be dominating at the moment. the honeymoon period is over :(

getting into housey **** and techno at the moment, and the next - and first in months - date i have on my callender is ocean colour scene:confused:
    going with the flow for now i guess...

*takes one to know one i guess...
    ehm... i might retype this when i'm sober....
    just been out on a jazz club crawl in Harlem :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Like techno, but I am starting to really like electro much more now.. can't wait to see dr lektroluv this thursday, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

ive heard a couple of electro mix's,1 by miss kittin which i thought was excellent,cant say i liked the others,can you point me in the right direction for good electro lenny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

For me it's a close run between The Watusi and The Mashed Potato.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Search for the dr. lektroluv @ i love techno there is only 2 secs of him floating about..
    its kinda 80'sish electro
    have a few homemade mixes that i got off people on slsk which are good too

• Advertisement

nice one ill have alook for the i love techno sets,as for soulseek i couldnt get it to work right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

I was mad into hard house myself, still am, but I agree tman, hard house scene is simply crap at the moment. Hard NRG sh*t all over the place. Pity. Had some good nights in Lamberts, Camolin a few years back, best night was BK and Ed Real Stephens Night, not sure when. A lot of my friends have decks and I started leeching a mix here and there around the same time.

I have steered towards the techno scene more recently, my main influence being my cousin who mixes techno (pure talent, even though he is family). My theory is if you listen to good quality mixing for long enough, you will be hooked. Chris Leibing, Chris Liberator, Ben Sims are amongst my favourites. I like driving techno (if ya get me) and good tribal stuff.

I do respect all styles of dance music, mainly because I have an affinity for making dance music. I can appreciate time and effort taken tro make a decent tune. I love listening to all styles for the technical side of it, how it is composed and for inspiration.

My two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

2 words
    Sven Vaeth!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Mostly electro for me (and a bit of electro/techno)

Try an album called Dr Lektroluv - An Elektion of Elektrifying Elektro Pop (tracklist). But it's from 2002, I'm not sure what stuff he's playing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Anything dirty. Especially dirty techno and dark, dirty prog. A bit of Chris Liebing, Satoshi Tomiie, that sort of business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭spyro_2001ie

Big electro fan.
    ive heard a couple of electro mix's,1 by miss kittin which i thought was excellent,cant say i liked the others,can you point me in the right direction for good electro lenny

You should listen to Dave Clarke's electro mix on cd2 of World Service. Top notch stuff.

Dj Hell's Dj Gigilo label produces some good stuff too.(check out Dj Hell too)

Also a big fan of Tiga, Felix da Housecat, Miss kitten colaberations, Jacques La Cont, Ladytron, Vitalic, Tok Tok, Laurent Garnier,David Caretta, Chris Liebing, just got listening to some Joris Vroon and swinging towards the techno side of the scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Ive been on the scene since the glory years of 1990 (probably way before anyone on here old git that i am :o;) ) and back then there wasnt hardly any what you would call "pigeonholing" of dance music,back then it was all just "Rave Music" some people still said "acid House" or just "house" but you didnt have all the silly pigeonholing you have nowadays,i used to go to Sides DC in 1990 where they played a mixture of Acid House and Beleric and Indie Dance and it was amazing..having been involved in just about every scene with the exception of hard house which is the bastard child of hardcore there can be only one winner and that Old Skool House Music from 1988 to 1993,also Old Skool Rave 1990-1993,ive been involved in the Jungle scene in Dublin when everybody hated it (not to mention hardcore) also Happy/Funky/Prog/Epic House..Trance/Techno,Garage,etc,etc but as i said for me nothing can compete with Old Skool House Sasha 1990 style,all Pianos,etc brilliant........ ;)

tman wrote:

tbh i'm just getting sick of the hard nrg sound that seems to be dominating at the moment. the honeymoon period is over :(

*takes one to know one i guess...
    ehm... i might retype this when i'm sober....
    just been out on a jazz club crawl in Harlem :D

The honeymoon ended for some of us back in the mid 1990`s my friend.........
    :rolleyes: ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

office_dance.gifoffice_dance.gifoffice_dance.gifoffice_dance.gifoffice_dance.gif
    office_dance.gifoffice_dance.gifoffice_dance.gifoffice_dance.gifoffice_dance.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Club Educate

Filthy dirty Wet & Hard all the way!

Your talking about sex?
    :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

No, his 'short fringe'

he;s taklin about filthy wet hard techno,its so dirty you need to have a shower after you listen to it for over an hour,
    i had to have 2 showers yesterday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Club Educate

Exactly Kinkstr! :D

Sexual tunage!!

is the Techno scene in Ireland still full of geeks who are trainspotters and clinically obsessed about the music...... :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement

i feel dirty just thinking about it lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I think it was Faithless that got me started, trance and hard house mostly but do listen to a bit of everything.

faithless have had some class tunes out - insomnia and we come one spring to mind,i saw them live at creamfields,fantastic live show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Like alot of people I'm sure, my electronic music taste is constantly evolving and maturing - I never lose sight of what I used to love but I always focus on what I currently love, in this case it's funky deep house with live instruments and vocals. To me this = party music! I have respect for all genres whether I'm into them or not and I also believe that good music is good music no matter what somebody somewhere decides to classify it as. Used to love DnB alot but I've gone off it quite a bit lately it has to be said. I used to be at Bassbin every week bar none up until maybe mid-summer this year whereas now 12ten or Bodytonic would be more my cuppa ona Fri/Sat night!

Always looking for new and interesting kinds of electronic music so I'll give nearly anything a chance until I firmly decide that I don't like it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I have to say, in my opinion dance and electronic music has been invented, and reinvented so many times by what people call trance and techno over the years, that it nearly has lost all meaning to me!

My favourite stuff going back to the early 90's were stuff like Westbam, Marusha, Alien Factory, KLF, Blue Alphabet, Technotrance, Scooter, Shades of Rythm and so on...

What was called Trance was stuff like Westbam & Red Jerry's Wizards of the Sonic and Blue Alphabet's Cybertrance and later on Andy Ling's Fixation and Vincent De Moor... they had a nice melody, and almost were like long songs without words in their verses and chorus...

Then there was Techno like 2 Unlimited, DJ Quicksilver's Bellisima and Planet Love and so on, Marusha's Go Ahead, and Legend B...

And then Techno Trance like Paul van Dyk, Tall Paul, Shades of Rythm, Alien Factory...

Dance music was stuff like KLF, Sash of Encore Un Fois fame, Robert Miles, Snap, Faithless, ATB, Usura's Open Your Mind, Run DMC remixes, among numerous others...

Electronic was stuff by The Orb of Little Fluffy Clouds fame, Air (All I Need featured a lot on MTV's own ad's), some of the Prodigy, and The Blueboy...

And what about Rave? Scooter for most of their 90's stuff, as well as some fast tracks by others like Nexus, Alien Factory, Legend B, The Bin Man, Ravers on Dope...

Today, Techno sounds crap and repetitive, Trance is something with a monotonous melody played over a 7 minute perioid that people think is a grate choon, and Techno, now Hard House, is stuff with the same beat pattern over and over and over again like Tidy Boys, Lisa Lashes, with little imagination for the making up of their song because its already done for them in a computer programme!! Bring back the midi keyboards for crying out loud!!

The few artists out there with originality left in their methods of the collective dance music scene are Paul van Dyk, Special D, Mauro Picotto, even Scooter... even some of these remixes are pretty good and some seem like a breath of fresh air (though from previous threads in Dance/Electronic, people think I am a cheesy git!!) like Jan Wayne (Total Eclipse of the Heart, Because the Night...), CK Dream Team (Dreamer), Eric Prydz (Call On Me), Scatman 2004, Aquagen's Hard to Say I'm Sorry, and others...

Seriously, and probably to the disdain of the younger dance music listeners here... Dance music has become lame compared to what it was 10 years ago... if you haven't heard of stuff like Happy Hardcore, Altern-8, 2 In A Room, Artmesia, KLF, Adamski, and the Smart-E's, then you haven't heard of Techno and Dance music!

Seanie.

PS If anyone can get me a copy of the 2 disc compilation HypnoTrance, I'd be forever grateful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

some seem like a breath of fresh air like Jan Wayne (Total Eclipse of the Heart, Because the Night...)

How is that a breath of fresh air when it is a cover? :confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

The few artists out there with originality left in their methods of the collective dance music scene are Paul van Dyk, Special D, Mauro Picotto, even Scooter... even some of these remixes are pretty good and some seem like a breath of fresh air (though from previous threads in Dance/Electronic, people think I am a cheesy git!!) like Jan Wayne (Total Eclipse of the Heart, Because the Night...), CK Dream Team (Dreamer), Eric Prydz (Call On Me), Scatman 2004, Aquagen's Hard to Say I'm Sorry, and others...

Oh god

Seanie M wrote:
    I have to say, in my opinion dance and electronic music has been invented, and reinvented so many times
    I agree

Then there was Techno like 2 Unlimited, DJ Quicksilver's Bellisima and Planet Love and so on
    ,2 Unlimited were never considered Techno..they might have chanted "techno,techno,techno" in one of their tunes but in reality they were only a commercial pop group allbeit a succesful one
    And then Techno Trance li Shades of Rythm,
    Shades Of Rhythm were never Techno/Trance..they would be considered to be Old Skool House bordering on Rave
    Dance music was stuff like KLF, Sash of Encore Un Fois fame, Robert Miles, Snap, Faithless, ATB, Usura's Open Your Mind, Run DMC remixes, among numerous others...
    mmm i suppose,although The KLF again would be considered to be Old Skool Rave...
    Electronic was stuff by The Orb of Little Fluffy Clouds fame, Air (All I Need featured a lot on MTV's own ad's), some of the Prodigy, and The Blueboy...
    The Orb have always been considered to be Ambient but you could also say electronic as well...Early Proigy was Old Skool Rave
    And what about Rave? Scooter for most of their 90's stuff, as well as some fast tracks by others like Nexus, Alien Factory, Legend B, The Bin Man, Ravers on Dope.
    ..Scooter RAVE..not a chance..cheesemeisters more like..happy hardcore would be an apt term for them.......
    Today, Techno sounds crap and repetitive, Trance is something with a monotonous melody played over a 7 minute perioid that people think is a grate choon, and Techno, now Hard House, is stuff with the same beat pattern over and over and over again like Tidy Boys, Lisa Lashes, with little imagination for the making up of their song because its already done for them in a computer programme!! Bring back the midi keyboards for crying out loud!
    ! I totally agree..
    whatever your into yourself..most of them artists for me are crap maybe the exception of early Paul Van Dyk stuff...
    Seriously, and probably to the disdain of the younger dance music listeners here... Dance music has become lame compared to what it was 10 years ago... if you haven't heard of stuff like Happy Hardcore, Altern-8, 2 In A Room, Artmesia, KLF, Adamski, and the Smart-E's, then you haven't heard of Techno and Dance music!
    Now your talking..although happy hardcore after 1995 is terrible..

here`s a few links to old skool sites younger people might be interested in... ;)

http://www.backtotheoldskool.co.uk/

http://www.everythingstartswithe.co.uk/

http://hardcorewillneverdie.com/pages/intro.html

http://www.hardscore.com/main.html

http://www.old-skool.freeserve.co.uk/

http://www.angelfire.com/music4/oldskoolrave/

http://www.theacidhouse.com/

http://www.oldskoolmadness.com/

http://www.onelovemagazine.co.uk/

http://www.h-e-experience.co.uk/Home.htm

http://www.oldskoolvibe.com/

http://www.bingobertys.com/

Enjoy.......... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

drum and bass, little bit of techno when i feel like just switching off my brain and not having to pay attention to the music, drum and bass was what i first got into about nine or ten years ago [dear god...] and i havent really found a good reason to not love it to the core so i still do... i even stuck with it when it sped up by 20 bpm in the late nineties and briefly turned into angry robot music for ex goths, i even looked the other way when some bright spark decided that it would be a good idea to turn it into really fast breakbeat disco trance.... i tolerated my all time favourite producers one by one falling off their perches and producing wobbly cartoon jump up turds of tunes, sometimes i feel like drum and bass is my girlfriend and shes cheating on me and nickin my credit cards to pay for the hotel bills but jesus i sure do love it still... most interesting type off dance music by miles, thought nu school breaks might have gone somewhere good by now and liked the uk garage that was around about three or four years ago... but drum and bass is the only true music out there.

• Advertisement

ro_chez wrote:

Oh god

Haha, that's exactly what I thought when I read this - but add in a rolleyes as well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Seanie M wrote:
    The few artists out there with originality left in their methods of the collective dance music scene are Paul van Dyk, Special D, Mauro Picotto, even Scooter... even some of these remixes are pretty good and some seem like a breath of fresh air (though from previous threads in Dance/Electronic, people think I am a cheesy git!!) like Jan Wayne (Total Eclipse of the Heart, Because the Night...), CK Dream Team (Dreamer), Eric Prydz (Call On Me), Scatman 2004, Aquagen's Hard to Say I'm Sorry, and others...!

this is a joke right?

i have no problem with you being a cheesey git, but saying the likes of special D, picotto, jan wayne and call on me is the only example of originality.

your not only a cheesey git, also a clueless one aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

I have to agree, that is really poor taste :rolleyes:

this is a joke right?

i have no problem with you being a cheesey git, but saying the likes of special D, picotto, jan wayne and call on me is the only example of originality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Also, isnt Picotto now in the "crap and repetitive" techno catagory?

He has only relatively recently joined the crap and repetitive techno category. He was previously in the crap and repetitive trance category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sico wrote:
    He has only relatively recently joined the crap and repetitive techno category. He was previously in the crap and repetitive trance category.

hes been at the techno lark for about 3 years now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

God love ya seany, you really have the worst taste in music, I admit to liking the odd cheesy tune but you take the biscuit. If your 14 you have an excuse. If your 18+ and have been listening to dance music for a few years you really don't have an excuse for listening to pure and utter ****e like jan wayne.

I started off liking trance and hard house when it was decent. More into techno and some funky house now.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Seanie M wrote:
    I have to say, in my opinion dance and electronic music has been invented, and reinvented so many times by what people call trance and techno over the years, that it nearly has lost all meaning to me!

My favourite stuff going back to the early 90's were stuff like Westbam, Marusha, Alien Factory, KLF, Blue Alphabet, Technotrance, Scooter, Shades of Rythm and so on...

What was called Trance was stuff like Westbam & Red Jerry's Wizards of the Sonic and Blue Alphabet's Cybertrance and later on Andy Ling's Fixation and Vincent De Moor... they had a nice melody, and almost were like long songs without words in their verses and chorus...

Then there was Techno like 2 Unlimited, DJ Quicksilver's Bellisima and Planet Love and so on, Marusha's Go Ahead, and Legend B...

And then Techno Trance like Paul van Dyk, Tall Paul, Shades of Rythm, Alien Factory...

And what about Rave? Scooter for most of their 90's stuff, as well as some fast tracks by others like Nexus, Alien Factory, Legend B, The Bin Man, Ravers on Dope...

Today, Techno sounds crap and repetitive, Trance is something with a monotonous melody played over a 7 minute perioid that people think is a grate choon, and Techno, now Hard House, is stuff with the same beat pattern over and over and over again like Tidy Boys, Lisa Lashes, with little imagination for the making up of their song because its already done for them in a computer programme!! Bring back the midi keyboards for crying out loud!!

Seanie.

PS If anyone can get me a copy of the 2 disc compilation HypnoTrance, I'd be forever grateful!

And the drugs dont work anymore either what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Current top 5 (in no order):

1. Bola - really nice ambient with an edge to it.
    2. Sh*tmat - Dancehall/reggae/jungle/hardcore/drum'n'bass mashups
    3. Squarepusher - Mixes jazz and acid with drum'n'bass/drill'n'bass in a really original way.
    4. Team Doyobi - Glitchy, dirty electronica made with more than a hint of ataris.
    5. Venetian Snares - Sometimes dark as **** hardcore/drill'n'bass/jungle, sometimes a slightly lighter version of the above. Releases about 20 albums/eps a year.

Anyone that says that dance/electronic music is dead just isn't looking in the right places.

Advertisement