Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDowell: Worse than General Franco?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

McDowell had been noted for baiting Haughey on occassion.
    FTA69 wrote:
    As I said on another thread I am not an IRA Volunteer
    The you are not part of the Movement (provo euphamism for the IRA).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

He was quoted as saying "our type of economy demands inequality". Now thats quite a shocking statement, as it implies that its ok if not necessary to stick to society`s most vulnerable.
    I would say that is an extreme interpretation of what he said.

The statement is a fact and I don't think Labour or anyone else can suggest how it would be otherwise. We cannot have everyone on the same income. Not even in good old Communist Russia was that managed. And the reality is that you will always have some people earning more than others.

But I fail to see how this is a suggestion that people should be deliberately kept in poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sliabh wrote:
    But I fail to see how this is a suggestion that people should be deliberately kept in poverty.
    I think the point is the interview came across as being ambivalent* towards inequality. That he didn't care.

He made no attempts to dissuade people of this perception.

* Psychology 201 - Ambivalence is anger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

sliabh wrote:
    The statement is a fact and I don't think Labour or anyone else can suggest how it would be otherwise. We cannot have everyone on the same income. Not even in good old Communist Russia was that managed. And the reality is that you will always have some people earning more than others.
    Where has anyone from here or Labour suggested that we should "have everyone on the same income"? Straw man argument I believe.

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Where has anyone from here or Labour suggested that we should "have everyone on the same income"?
    That was my interpretation of what you meant, sorry if it was wrong.

But
    "it implies that its ok if not necessary to stick to society`s most vulnerable"
    does sound like a straw man to me! :)

• Advertisement

sliabh wrote:
    That was my interpretation of what you meant, sorry if it was wrong.
    What I meant where? :confused: What's going on?

Sorry, I meant from Angelfire's comment. I should be paying more attention to what I am doing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

McDowell makes accusations then when asked to prove them he says, ah well that would be difficult and wouldn't help the Peace Process. If you can't prove something don't start mouthing it off in Public. Anyway the Local and European elections proved that the PD's bashing of SF was a failure, instead of bashing other party's the PD's would be better off trying to get votes for their own party ( tough task I know). McDowell talks hard but it's all an act really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Slaibh i recognise that not everyone can be on the same income, but i believe that everyone from the corporate managers child to the child of low income parents should be able to avail of the opportunity to acheive their potential. Unfortunately this is prevented by the stark inequalities in irish society. Mcdowells comments are out of line because inequality causes a massive waste of human potential, example people having to drop out of college because of lack of social protections and financial support.

but i believe that everyone from the corporate managers child to the child of low income parents should be able to avail of the opportunity to acheive their potential. Unfortunately this is prevented by the stark inequalities in irish society.
    I agree totally.

But I don't think McDowells comments were meant to imply that some people should not have the same opportunities. Everyone should have access to a very good standard of healthcare and education. But the reality is that those with the most money will usually be able to pay for the very best. To be truly "equal" would be to imply that everyone in the country, poorest to richest, will always have access to this best standard as well. And this is not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Yes but he said that inequality is somehow an incentive for people to work harder which implies that he favours incentives over social protections . How is sending a child to school hungry and not being able to concentrate an incentive? He or she needs a good meal not an economic incentive. Likewise the med student from a low income family needs an improved grant not an economic incentive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Victor wrote:
    McDowell had been noted for baiting Haughey on occassion.The you are not part of the Movement (provo euphamism for the IRA).

The term "the Movement" is an abbreviation of the term "the Republican Movement". This movement incorporates Sinn Féin, Óglaigh na hÉireann and Coiste na hÍarmhicí. Considering I am a member of Sinn Féin I am subsequently a member of the Republican Movement. While the term is sometimes used to express membership of Óglaigh na hÉireann, it doesn't mean that that is the only purpose of that term. Ok?

sliabh wrote:
    I agree totally.

But I don't think McDowells comments were meant to imply that some people should not have the same opportunities. Everyone should have access to a very good standard of healthcare and education. But the reality is that those with the most money will usually be able to pay for the very best. To be truly "equal" would be to imply that everyone in the country, poorest to richest, will always have access to this best standard as well. And this is not going to happen.
    The idiots in Finland see things somewhat differently. Free meals, no university fees, free childcare. Madness. :mad:

The basis of our education and teaching is equality.

Send McDowell over there to sort them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

At Labour Youth national conference, i emphatically spoke out against cooperation with blueshirts for reasons such as that.
    I'm sure there was someone at the (doubtless totally packed:rolleyes:) YFG conference emphatically speaking out against cooperation with pinkos for the opposite reason:).

Advertisement