Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ultimate Matrix Collection - DVD

• 06-12-2004 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

I'm sure some of you are going to buy this, here's a nice price guide i saw off msn..

the price diff. is quite scary

here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Is anyone here actually going to buy it...?

I mean, it's an awful lot of discs for only one good movie and a pile of garbage thrown in? I'm a completist when it comes to these type of things and I'm not going anywhere near the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

cdwow.ie have it for €56.99

from site..
    Disc 1 - The Matrix: The film in a new digital transfer supervised by the Wachowski brothers and director of photography Bill Pope.

Two all-new audio commentaries with written introduction by the Wachowski Brothers - The Critics: Todd McCarthy, John Powers & David Thomson / The Scholars: Dr. Cornel West and Ken Wilber

Disc 2 - The Matrix Revisited: Peel back a new layer of reality with a mind-expanding look at The Matrix from conception to phenomenon. Go behind The Matrix, take the Red Pill and follow the White Rabbit with 17 making-of featurettes, including 'What Is Bullet Time?', 'What Is Concept', and 'The Music Revisited'.

Disc 3 - The Matrix Reloaded: The powerful second chapter of the groundbreaking film trilogy.

Two all-new audio commentaries with written introduction by the Wachowski Brothers - The Critics: Todd McCarthy, John Powers & David Thomson / The Scholars: Dr. Cornel West and Ken Wilber

Disc 4 - The Matrix Reloaded Revisited: Go to the middle movie's furthest reaches via five documentary paths revealing 21 featurettes. Plus 23 extra scenes shot for the 'Enter The Matrix' game.

Disc 5 - The Matrix Revolutions: The epic war between man and machines reaches an explosive conclusion with the action-packed final chapter in The Matrix Trilogy.

Disc 6 - The Matrix Revolutions Revisited: The cataclysmic final confrontation chronicled through six documentary pods revealing 28 featurettes.

Disc 7 - The Animatrix: A visionary fusion of CG-animation and Japanese anime with nine short films exploring the world of the Matrix.

Audio commentaries on four of the episodes; 'Making Of' documentaries on each film, profiling the evolution of each one's unique style; biographical profiles of the directors and animation producers and 'Scrolls To Screen: The History and Culture of Anime' exploring the phenomenon of this art form.

Disc 8 - The Roots Of The Matrix: Probe the philosophical and technological inspirations of The Matrix Trilogy through two insightful documentaries - 'Return To Source: Philosophy & The Matrix' and 'The Hard Problem: The Science Behind The Fiction'.

Disc 9 - The Burly Man Chronicles: A profiles the 'society' of craftspeople, actors and filmmakers who shaped the movie trilogy.

Disc 10 - The Zion Archive: Showcases production assets developed for the universe of The Matrix, including concept artwork, storyboards, drawings, music videos, TV spots and trailers, plus a special preview of 'Matrix Online'.

the animatrix is in there too, in fairness it's not all that bad.

It's alright, it's not woeful but it isn't great either. It certainly isn't "visionary"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Again the wachowskis aren't on the commentary track to apologies for the sequels.

I heard that the critics on the commentary track for reloaded and revolutions take the films apart by rubbishing them. Worth a rent so I can agree with them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

tck wrote:
    the price diff. is quite scary[/URL]

£36.74 to £84.69. Scary is right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm definitely getting it, being an uber matrix geek and all.

apparently the critics are of a newsnight review ilk, so it should be interesting. the only new contribution from the wachowski's is written intro's to the films. oh well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

If I had to do a running commentary on Reloaded and Revolutions for the DVD, I'd just record myself saying the word "Shíte", and then set it to repeat.
    It would be a pretty accurate commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i will buy it matrix is brillent ive had the trailer for this 10 disc set for months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

It might be worth checking out but I Might wait a while for it to go down in price like the Alien Quadtrilogy box set, same about the Wachowski no show, the written intro just isn't enough. But some of the extras sound interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

was hoping that the soundtracks would be in there somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

koneko wrote:

I mean, it's an awful lot of discs for only one good movie and a pile of garbage thrown in? I'm a completist when it comes to these type of things and I'm not going anywhere near the thing.
    I'm pretending the sequels never happened. I tend to be a completist about these things too but I'll happily make an exception in this case.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

koneko wrote:

you see thats a terrible view, sorry but its one amazing film and two very good films when watched on their own merits. now if you dont like the type of films in general thats grand thats your opinion but if you like the first you have no real reason to diclike the other 2, cant wait to get this box set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

mayordenis wrote:
    you see thats a terrible view, sorry but its one amazing film and two very good films when watched on their own merits. now if you dont like the type of films in general thats grand thats your opinion but if you like the first you have no real reason to diclike the other 2, cant wait to get this box set.
    I liked the original movie. I liked the fact that it crept up on everyone, and turned out to be a really entertaining movie.

My view on the "other two" sways on an almost daily basis. Some days I dislike them with a hatred on a par with the hatred I feel for that kid that kicked me in the balls for NO REASON when I was 14 (if you're reading this, I'm going to get you). Other days, I figure they're okay and would willingly defend them to other people.

But even when I'm being most generous to the "other two", I couldn't justify the Ultimate Matrix Collection to my wallet. THere are a couple of reasons for this. Number one: The entire thing reeks to me of "Now contains 30% more Joel Silver explaining excitedly how this will be like nothing you've ever seen before and how the Wachowskis are visionaries". I've had it up to here (*points to top of head*) with Joel Silver. If I have to see his face again, I will lose the rag.

The second reason is, well, I just don't want to encourage this kind of thing. I don't want them to think that they can get away with such a cynical ploy to basically churn out what they want and rob us of our hard-earned. And from what I've seen, they're not getting away with it. Initial sales have been slow (at Christmas, too!) and as we've seen here, most completists (the people who this set was most likely aimed at) are saying "no thanks".

I wouldn't call myself a completist, nor someone who completely dislikes the "other two", but I'm still going to have to say "no thanks".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mayordenis wrote:
    now if you dont like the type of films in general thats grand thats your opinion but if you like the first you have no real reason to diclike the other 2, cant wait to get this box set.
    Poppycock. I can perfectly well like some movies in a series (the first three Alien movies) and hate other installments (the two that follow). It doesn't detract from my love of the first installment to say I thought the second was mediocre and the third just plain bad. It doesn't invalidate my opinion or make it any less worthy. I have plenty of reasons for not liking the sequels - pretentious, plodding, wincing dialogue, weakly acted, SFX-drenched - but still enjoy the first of what came.

Gotta agree with ObeyGiant though - anyone who tries to keep claiming the Wachowskis are visionaries may need to envision my hand slapping them across the face. Word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ObeyGiant wrote:
    I've had it up to here (*points to top of head*) with Joel Silver. If I have to see his face again, I will lose the rag.

The second reason is, well, I just don't want to encourage this kind of thing. I don't want them to think that they can get away with such a cynical ploy to basically churn out what they want and rob us of our hard-earned. And from what I've seen, they're not getting away with it. Initial sales have been slow (at Christmas, too!) and as we've seen here, most completists (the people who this set was most likely aimed at) are saying "no thanks".

I wouldn't call myself a completist, nor someone who completely dislikes the "other two", but I'm still going to have to say "no thanks".

first off, no one likes joel silver. he's a moron. i've met approximately 0 matrix fans online and offline who like him. he spouted pure muck before each movie, hightening expectations beyond all belief. hopefully the wachowski's wont work with him again.

second, it's out 2 days. and it's a steep price. don't expect it to set the world alight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

second, it's out 2 days. and it's a steep price. don't expect it to set the world alight.
    I wasn't expecting it to set the world alight. And I was just pointing out that sales (and I did highlight that these were initial sales) have been "slow", especially compared to other high-profile, similarly-priced releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I think the second and third are very good films in themselves.

The first was one of the greatest (and groundbreaking) films of all time.
    Naturally, what followed was going to be compared to them, which they were never going to live up to.

Apart from the dance/love sequence in the second one and some cheesy lines in the third (and still not sure about the ending), they are very good films!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i almost bought the set with the figurine yesterday in HMV for 100 smackers. it just looks so cool. then i realised the sequels were sh!t and that 100 quid is a stupid amoount of money to be paying for a dvd i already own plus 9 more thrown in for good measure. and a figurine.

still though, you have to admit, that's some fcuking cool packaging

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

MaceFace wrote:
    The first was one of the greatest (and groundbreaking) films of all time.
    Whoa! Hold it right there Mr. Silver. One of the greatest AND most groundbreaking movies of all time? It was highly enjoyable, yes, but aren't you exagerrating its impact? It was innovative mainly in its use of SFX, little more. The storyline was interesting but not shockingly original. All good fun only, very flashy and fancy visually, but I can't hold it in such high esteem.
    Apart from the dance/love sequence in the second one and some cheesy lines in the third (and still not sure about the ending), they are very good films!
    Oddly, I really love the dance/love sequence in the 'Matrix: Reloaded'. I break into paroxysms of laughter any time that I see it - the pretension, the stupidity, is hilarious!

And no, not from any POV IMHO, are they good films. The second is tolerable, the third is muck and one of the few movies where I felt like hurling my popcorn at the screen when the credits rolled and my eyes rolled back to view my optical nerve in sheer exasparation.

That's exactly it. The second is tolerable (besides the Rave scene, which nearly made me sick to my stomach), the third is absolutely woeful. I doubt I'll ever watch either two again, it's a pain I can't face.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I loved the first film but I can't really say its had a huge impact except that every sub par action film now has at least one ridiculous bullet time effect. And the action wasn't particularly groundbreaking either, being a mish mash of various action scenes in asian cinema. The special effects used to deliver the action with real actors instead of animation is what was groundbreaking.

And for the record I've never felt so disappointed with a film than I did after Reloaded and Revultions disgusts me.

Advertisement