Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gizmondo handheld

Options
  • 06-12-2004 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

www.gizmondo.com

anyone ordering this?

what do peeps think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It looks like a decent piece of kit aside from the ridiculously small screen, but the PSP and DS around the corner, I can't set it doing anything impressive.

Gizmondo's less than impressive attitude towards home developers and hobbyists also means that it's likely to lose out to the GP32 and Zodiac among retro and emulation enthusiasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 medZer

ive played one and theyre damn cool...

rumour has it that giz are in bed with microsoft game developing studios and a few others (EA sports range too i hear). With microsoft on board, this opens up a link to many other developers and games, old and new

the functionality is amazing too, GPS just rules for so many reasons - find your mates with giz's, find the pub, find you keys, whatever - nice touch
    it also allows you to mark territory - so when u play gangland games, people on you territory will know about it, and you can challenge them over bluetooth/gprs

movies and musci are top notch too...and its cheap considering the functions

they just wont tell us when the thing will come out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

medZer wrote:
    ive played one and theyre damn cool...

rumour has it that giz are in bed with microsoft game developing studios and a few others (EA sports range too i hear). With microsoft on board, this opens up a link to many other developers and games, old and new

the functionality is amazing too, GPS just rules for so many reasons - find your mates with giz's, find the pub, find you keys, whatever - nice touch
    it also allows you to mark territory - so when u play gangland games, people on you territory will know about it, and you can challenge them over bluetooth/gprs

movies and musci are top notch too...and its cheap considering the functions

they just wont tell us when the thing will come out!
    Nice bit of marketing there...

hey if theyre paying its marketing...i paying, so i guess its belief in the underdog. always nay-saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It's ever so slightly better (maybe) than the Tapwave Zodiac, which has been out for ages now. I didn't see any of the Gizmondo fanboys creaming themselves over that one.

It's all marketing BS. People should really stop believing marketing BS. It's not going to get enough of a slice of the market to make a significant impression.

• Advertisement

jaysus, as a marketeer i'll say ya, its easy sell something people dont want or need.

but ive seen one ad for this thing

theres no mainstream ads for it

you might hear about it in the circle of "friends" or whatever group you hang around with, but the kiddies who wil want it for crimbo wont havent heard about, my masters in MIS lecturers havent heard about, and they're king of the nerds.... so where is this negative marketing attitude coming from?

did you play it? did you use all the functions? if you did, you dont like it, fari enough...

give the thing a chance...not exactly the corporate sony machine pushing this, its a risk, and fair play to them...

fooking naysayers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

medZer wrote:
    the functionality is amazing too, GPS just rules for so many reasons find you keys, whatever - nice touch

how can you find your keys with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

medZer wrote:
    jaysus, as a marketeer i'll say ya, its easy sell something people dont want or need.

but ive seen one ad for this thing

theres no mainstream ads for it

you might hear about it in the circle of "friends" or whatever group you hang around with, but the kiddies who wil want it for crimbo wont havent heard about, my masters in MIS lecturers havent heard about, and they're king of the nerds.... so where is this negative marketing attitude coming from?

did you play it? did you use all the functions? if you did, you dont like it, fari enough...

give the thing a chance...not exactly the corporate sony machine pushing this, its a risk, and fair play to them...

fooking naysayers

He wasn't complaining about how much marketing the gizmondo has used. He was saying your post was like a piece of marketing. What's all this naysayers talk? He has as much right to hold an opinion on the device be it negative as you do to creme yourself over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

spec wise, its stronger than DS and psp ? 400mhz
    or was psp 700 ?

how can you find your keys with it?

Grow up...do you understand sarcasm?

as for the naysayers, YES, have your opinion...but people tend to knock A - what they dont have, B - what is different/an underdog....thats all im saying...

everyone to their own, fair enough...i want this thing, cause is plays games and ****, but ahs a gps....its cheaper than a gps...make sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

medZer wrote:
    Grow up...do you understand sarcasm?

as for the naysayers, YES, have your opinion...but people tend to knock A - what they dont have, B - what is different/an underdog....thats all im saying...

everyone to their own, fair enough...i want this thing, cause is plays games and ****, but ahs a gps....its cheaper than a gps...make sense?

Actually within the portable gaming community Gizmondo drones (paid marketing types) have being signing up on forums and hyping this thing for at least a year now (its slipped launch several times). Its also on many, many banner ads.

The GPRS functionality is there so ads can be delivered to the device, last time I checked you had to "view" the ads before you could play, it part-covers the cost of the device. Its also now-where near as powerful as the PSP (dont compare CPU speeds by MHz, and regardless, its GPU performance that matters). Its also got a dire low-res screen and looks quite naff.

It doesnt have the power of the PSP or the looks and support of the Zodiac... which kinda leaves it floating around out there.

Matt

Advertisement