Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting an airbag fitted

Options
  • 06-12-2004 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

It bothers me that my car doesn't have airbags (95 civic)
    is it expensive to get them fitted ?? has anyone had experience of this ?

Thanks

Fionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Wouldn't be cheaper to part-ex for a more modern (same price-bracket) car with one?

I don't really know, cost-wise, so feel free to ignore the post, but I recall airbags have to have sensors around the chassis, computer unit, etc... so, potentially requiring stripping a portion of the car, re-wiring etc.

All I'm saying is it might not be very worthwile/cost-effective relative to the value of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It would be much easier to change your car - I have never heard of anyone retro-fitting airbags and I doubt it would be an easy job. Airbags require several sensors and a controller to be fitted and your wiring loom won't have the necessary connections. Even if you got one fitted, how would you be sure it would be safe in the event of an accident?

An airbag is a nice addition but if you don't have one, add it to the list of must-haves for your next car.

And you are much more likely to die of old age anyway, which is an awfully slow way to go.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Well if your Civic is the old model (1991-1995?) there's little point installing an airbag in it anyway, it hardly improves the car's safety at all. I'd say the newer model wouldn't be any great shakes either.

I saw a crash test In Auto Motor und Sport from 1993 where an airbag equipped Civic did astonishingly badly in an offset head on crash. It's no good having an airbag if the safety cell is so weak that the car collapses around you in a 35 mph impact. So there's no need to be concerned about lack of airbags, you're not really missing out on anything. Just don't crash it.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

BrianD3 wrote:
    Just don't crash it.BrianD3

What He Said...

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

thanks for the replies, I had thought it would be cheaper to replace the car and you all confirmed this.

I got it for a bargain and it's only got 40k on the clock (genuine, neighbours car) and is a lovely automatic, but the one major flaw about it is the lack of airbags , it's something i'm now conscience of every time I start it .

Hmmm, any idea of an asking price for it ? given it's low milage/automatic ?? 95 civic lsi
    with mp3 cd unit and surround speakers .(yes i will have a look at the B&S)

Fionn

• Advertisement
Advertisement