Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Living Guitarist?

Options
  • 06-05-2001 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Living because Jimi would just pop up every single post. smile.gif
    I'd go for one of the more obvious, Eric Clapton.

If the leaves falling from the trees in Autumn were gold, or the white foam on the waves silver, Fionn would give it all away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Um methinks Jimmy Page outranks clapton by miles.

I also think slash is really handy at the geetar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Slash, ffs. get back in yer box smile.gif

Im pretty sure that all the replies after this are going to be either blues guitarists or metal/grunge/goth types. So ill go for summat different.
    The Edge or Prince (hate his recent stuff, but good god, ive heard some bootleg club gigs and he can do just about anything).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭syringe

Ah! Dustaz just made me realise how naive I was. I was so young then, didn't know right from wrong. Tom Morello for his originality, and Muddy Waters cos he's funky.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by syringe:
    Tom Morello for his originality, and Muddy Waters cos he's funky.</font>
    Hard rock and blues smile.gif
    BTW, An on/off switch for your pickups is original?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

want to hear savage guitar ?? Listen to Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson or ... Steve Vai(Guitar god), that guy can do some insane stuff on guitar. Try downloading a song by Steve Vai called The duel from the crossroads, some savage guitar in that.

slaan

• Advertisement

Didnt Ry Cooder do the other parts for that Duel sequence? gotta say that was pretty good smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

*cough* Slash *cough*

Eye ham zee Walroos.
    You ham zee Flyhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Ahem, did someone mention the Edge in a "Best living guitarist?" topic ?!?
    Are you on crack?!?
    I'm sorry but the Edge is a pretty mediocre guitarist by anyones standards.
    Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying he's not good at what he does. And i quite like some of the stuff he does. But come on, he is hardly an exceptional guitarist.
    I do agree with most of the other people mentioned, Vai is an exceptional guitarist, Clapton is also really good, likewise Satriani, Page and Slash are both great as well. I really only replied because i saw The Edge mentioned.
    When people think about great guitarists they always seem to mention rock guitarists. But never a mention of classical guitarists. You should really check out John Williams stuff. He is an exceptional guitarist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Marty Friedman.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dustaz:
    Slash, ffs. get back in yer box smile.gif

The Edge
    </font>

Me get back in my box? Fell off my seat laughing at that one smile.gif

Also forgot Santana, Gilmore and as mentioned above, satraini

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭syringe

Tom Morello, yes he's original. smile.gif And he's bald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

i'm off to resurect hendrix so i can win the arguament, but imo tis.....

BB King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

yep David Gilmour, sure he's not doing anything particularly special.. but his perfection and use of the equipment are just so good.
    see Comfortably Numb (played live is one of my favourite solos ever), Time, Echoes (those who have seen Pompeii video will know what I mean about equipment) or Shine On You Crazy Diamond...
    Many players have tried to imitate those on Roger Waters "Live In The Flesh" tour, and its only then do you realise how bloody damn good he was/is.

Little known Floyd fact #1:
    Waters originally wanted Clapton to join instead of Gilmour but thought his price would be out of their league, I personally am well damn glad they didn't get him smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Jeff Lang - Australian Blues Guitarist
    The best guitarist I have ever seen, he can play an acoustic guitar faster than I have seen anyone (including steve vai and joe satriani) can play their electrics.

Redesigned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Nice topic...

Always a matter of taste, as there's the best in a genre, and then there's the best there is in the world.

..and they have to be living too.

Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, (Satch practically taught Vai how to play, however definatly a case of the student surpassing the master after time in the 'Space Age' guitar thing!), two talented people and by far the best two rock guitarists I have ever heard.

Eric Clapton, definatly.
    BB King YES, the man taught himself how to play, and apparently couldn't even string chords together for quite some time, there's only so long you can go just playing the notes on strings one by one, BB king has gone the longest I think!

And what about classical guitarists? No-one has mentioned any names there? Probably because no-one here knows or is interested? Jazz too. Come to think of it, most rock guitarists get into jazz guitar at some stage, when they reach a certain level of skill and musical awareness.

As for some of the chancers people have mentioned... The Edge for one, give that idiot an acoustic guitar and take away his RACKS of effects pedals and you're not left with much real talent at all, I'm sure if you asked him, he'd probably admit that himself. And Slash? AHAHAHAHA

Hmmm, Osi mentioned Jeff Lang, I've seen the name around a lot, haven't heard any of his stuff, can you recommend an album to pick up Osi?

[This message has been edited by Lucutus (edited 07-05-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dustaz:
    oh yeh and say what ye like about Edge but at least he never appeared on stage with a 3 necked guitar in the shape of a heart..Stand up Mr Vai!</font>

ROFL, Yea, but even worse than the guitar, (which BTW, has a great sound due to it's HUGE size!), is appearing on stage with David Lee Roth *shudder* OH THE SHAME OF IT ALL!

Always liked his solos with Whitesnake tho...

I wasn't commenting on Edge's writing ability, purely guiter ability.

As for Satch and Vai's song writing, it's decent, they can write excellent songs...and both have, they just can't sing them.

Luc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

4153_st4_thumb.jpg

Look at the flame on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 High_Ping_King

One of the boys from the Presidents of the United States of America has got to be in there with a shout.

I mean like, come on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Brummers

On pure talent it has to be Joe satriani.

On the most influential and unique, obviously Hendrix.

At present the best guitarist IMO would have to be Tom Morello from RATM, just cos' he is the man and also is very unique (he only started learning @ 17 or something.)

In a dark dark place, in a dark dark house, in a dark dark room, in a dark dark cupboard, in a dark dark shelf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 HendrixSEVEN

Jimi Hendrix is dead??

Guess it will have to be the bass guitarist Victor Wooten.
    Some of the stuff he does on his one bass album, I can't remember the name, sounds like three in one, rythm beats, got to listen to it. Can one post music on this message board?? oops sorry Napster!

Hmm. I feel i must defend Edge here smile.gif
    As Luc said its entirely a matter of taste, but i feel the edge edge has is the ability to write better music smile.gif
    Sure, Vai and Satriani are technically brilliant, but neither can write a decent song to save thier lives *IMO* and neither does stuff thats hugely original. oh yeh and say what ye like about Edge but at least he never appeared on stage with a 3 necked guitar in the shape of a heart..Stand up Mr Vai!
    Cant argue with Dave Gilmour or Carlos Santana tho smile.gif
    Robbie Krieger had an interesting style too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd definitly say Tom Morello - he's introduced (looking for the right words) a new style of playing with effects and LOADS of bands are doing it - Korn, Limp Bizkit, At The Drive In, etc...

I had my Mum (who's a church musician for over 30 years) watching a live performance from RATM and she was impressed at the sheer range of sound he was able to produce from a guitar - she couldn't believe it, so I took out my effect board and started creating some crazy sounds to convince her curlydav.gif

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So I turned around to Jack Charlton and said: "Well of course it's not a football Jack, it's an '86 Chardonay!!!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Eric Clapton and The Edge are both sh|t!

The best are Jimmy Page(god), Tom Marrello, Max Cavalera and Jeff Beck
    and some others i cant think of...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by --Kaiser--:
    Eric Clapton and The Edge are both sh|t!

The best are Jimmy Page(god), Tom Marrello, Max Cavalera and Jeff Beck
    and some others i cant think of...
    </font>

Are you serious?? (about Clapton of course wink.gif) Listen to "for Love" and the control he shows in the solo, on acoustic so he has talent wink.gif

I'm suprised Ignmie Malmstein (spelling is totally wrong) hasn't come up, he's not my sup of tea, but he is a very gifted guitarist.

Stephen Hawking: "Your idea of a donut shaped universe is intriguing Homer. I may have to steal it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

well i'm gonna mention John Fruisciante (chili peppers), mostly cos no one else has mentioned him here yet smile.gif
    just thinks of the classic riffs from under the bridge/scar tissue, and all the cool funky stuff most people havn't heard

Durty auld Morris drums... they're fu*kin' great!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

Best living guitarist - hmmm, could'nt pick one, but im sure if i heard more classical guitarist's then i would pick one of them, that sh!t is really hard to play.

Best ever guitarist (had to do it) - Rhandy Rhoads...An absolute god, imagine what he'd be doing today if he was still alive, he'd blow the socks off satriani/vai/malmsteem, hurts my head thinkin about it.

But oh, no tears please, fear and pain may acompany death, but it is desire that sheperds its certainty, as we shall see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Winning Hand:
    Um methinks Jimmy Page outranks clapton by miles.
    </font>

Outrageous, I reckon even Jimmy would disagree with you there. I have to say Brain May was pretty innovative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Dave Navarro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

CLAPTON... great.

All else... not as great.

I have spoken.

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

Advertisement