Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Living Guitarist?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr .Bungle

Vai and satriani are obviously ledgends, Dimebag Darrel from PanterA has to be one of the best guitarists/songwriters from recent times. He can play at amazing speed while streching half way down the fretboard, he plays as speed that even makes the best guitarists i know die after a few seconds, And his tremolo work is just ****ing amazing. Hes also uses Pinch Harmonics work really well with the his songs he plays, instead of just playing them cause he can. And well his ****ing solos are something else, they are songs in thier own right :).

Overall he just milks the guitar for everything its worth, getting every sound possible out of the guitar.

DIMEBAG IS GOD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

1) Angus Young
    2) BB King
    3) Santana

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Huey Morgan

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Dimebag, Chuck Schuldiner (RIP), Alex Laiho, Trey Azagtoth, and of course, Tony Iommi.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Well theres...
    Dimebag Darrell (Pantera)
    Trey Azagtoth (Morbid Angel)
    Zakk Wylde (Ozzy, BLS, Pride and Glory)
    Steve Vai
    Joe Satriani
    John Petrucci (Dream Theater)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead.
    For me the most inovative guitarist of the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

YAY Someone mentioned J Greenwood. I was talking to him on the Radiohead Msgboards ages ago.
    Steve vai and co. are unbelievable technical guitarists, and steve is the master of throwing shapes (see crossroads*). But it all gets very boring, no real emotion most of the time.

*not the britney spears one, the ralph macchio one (karate kid)

Originally posted by Giblet
    YAY Someone mentioned J Greenwood. I was talking to him on the Radiohead Msgboards ages ago.
    Steve vai and co. are unbelievable technical guitarists, and steve is the master of throwing shapes (see crossroads*). But it all gets very boring, no real emotion most of the time.
    Errrr... how can you say that Radiohead is NOT boring and that Steve Vai is. I remember listening to Radiohead once and it literally put me to sleep. And plus the fact that all that soft rock stuff is nearly all chords put together makes it very boring to play. Steve Vai makes you work hard if you want to learn one of his songs. Vai's songs are nearly all one big solo. Which gives you a test whereas chords is just constant strumming or sometimes picking. And youre just there going "down, down, up, down, up down" because its all beginners stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

mark knofler, billy corgan and the edge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by Singer
    Corgan and Mascis. Pity Corgan's gone to ****, but J. Mascis still kicks ass. Best gig of last year.

Hey Singer, is that you?

This is the first post to mention anyone other than Hendrix who I'd actually listen to more than once in a blue moon.

Musicianship is irrelevant, there are plenty of s/h/i/t records made by technically brilliant musicians and vice versa. But Mascis is that rare breed who is technically ace but actually makes decent records too. And kicks immense ass live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Oh wait, somenbody mentioned Dave Navarro too - yes, I'm quite fond of a bit o' the old Jane's, takes me back to my misspent youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Jimmy

everyone seems to have forgotten frank black.

he f**king rocked witnness last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭MelKor

santana and paul simon (im serious, stop laughing:mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭carl_

Check out Jazz guitarist Stanley Jordan...

I only heard about him recently but apparently he was a big figure in American Jazz in the 80's.
    ... afaik he was (with Wynton Marsalis) expected to revive jazz (in America at least).
    ... kinda faded out though

His albums are often a mix of some fairly weak renditions of popular tunes and some fantastict pieces of improv.
    ... always seems like he has the potential to do great things

The real attraction for me is his technique though - he uses a two-handed tap technique that allows him to play rhythm and melody at the same time.
    ... although he wasn't the first to do this, he is widely regarded as the first "Touch Virtuoso".

Check out "Vol. 1-Standards" [track 3 - Georgia on My Mind] at amazon.com
    ... just type "Stanley Jordan" into the search field and work your way from there.
    ... need Real player to listen to the sample though.

"Best Living Guitarist?" ... i doubt it, but certainly innovative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

I quite like the guitarist from Metallica-Kirk Hammett- he's pretty good:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭KyUss

I reckon , not being a guitarist though , that forming a good sound and unique style is half the skill in being a great guitarist.

ie Edge wouldnt be the fastest ( or Clapton , or BB King ) but they all have a style and sound that are always un mistakeable....

My favs that I ve heard so far would be :

Angus
    Jeff hanneman
    Steve Vai - class
    Slash
    The guy from Stone roses * Whats his name ???? god ***
    Jimser Page
    Jeff Buckley
    The guy from Suicidal Tendencies ( what s his name again ...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

any1 mention santanna?
    i like his early stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Well the best guitarist I have ever heard was.... u ready for this?? A bloke in Waltons on parnell street, I went in there one Saturday and asked him would he play a few tunes on a particular guitar I was interested in and this was my reaction :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Un - believable, I've seen fast but he took the biscuit, I told him stop he was pissing me off :D

Originally posted by KyUss

Jeff hanneman
    Yes indeed!! How could I leave him out?! He's probably the best riff writer ever. Kerry King gets all the credit but its Jeff who should be the one who should take the praise. Truly an excellent guitarist.

Advertisement