Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Music...

Options
  • 11-05-2001 10:08pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

(Pointless Musical Thread Ahoy)

Im a hardcore fanatic of Computer / Game music (Anyone who has witnessed my mIRC music script can vouch for that) and im dissapointed at the difficulty of obtaining Computer related collections...

The likes of CastleVania SOTN and the Resident Evil collections are great, but to obtain them you have to find someone who can order them from abroad, and these days Zhivago's dont do that any more...

Are there any Game Music fans out there?
    If you want any recommendations, drop me a line... Got a couple'o'hundred mp3's in my collection...

Other than that, my favourite band are "The Crystal Method" and I bet hardly any of ye know who they are... biggrin.gif

I have to send away for their albums also...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The music in American Mc'Gees Alice was fantastic!

Download some of that Rope, you'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Wipeout. Nice.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I've collected the full HardSID collection (99.9% of all 64 originals),~120 redone mixes and 7/8 remastered CD's of 64 stuff.
    Yes great for annoying your friends with... smile.gif

Check out http://remix.kwed.org for MP3 remixes (I recommend DJ-Lizard, Wobbler for Dancey mixes - THC,o2,MistahDistah for ambient - Puffy64 for Rock)
    http://www.C64Audio.com for remastered CD's

These 2 were my soundtrack for the Euro TFC championships.....
    http://remix.kwed.org/download.php/545/MistaDistah%20-%20Last%20Ninja%203%20%28Old%20School%20Sonny%20Chiba%20Remix%29.mp3
    http://remix.kwed.org/download.php/295/DjLizard%20-%20International%20Karate%20%28remix%29.mp3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

Ne1 remember Cannon Fodder on the AMIGA 600.
    The song in the Intro was so fu**in' class.
    "War Has Never Been So Much Fun".
    hehe
    CLass Song.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Cannon Fodder music was amazing - The tune for a completed mission was great, and the one where they list all the slain soldiers...

Wonder if you can get it off Nappy - Some of the Wipeout music was good, I have some of that myself...

I have almost all the Final Fantasy VII tunes, with a rake of FFVIII also...

...I have so many mp3's, yet im still not content... Anyone know some nice depressing music or orchestral that I could get my grubby nippers on!?

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Oh, and thanks for the URL's CreeD, much appreciated biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

All the Final Fantasy stuff is well worthwhile, as is Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears and anything else by Yasunori Mitsuda. Grab the orchestral FF7 Reunion album if you can, it's a stunner.

Metal Gear Solid has top music as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

and lets not forget the original command & conquer and red alert, class... smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Aw c'mon... Quake/Quake II sountracks folks!!!

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

anyone remember xenon 2 on the atari ST? it had the coolest music by bomb the base

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Any of the final fantasy games or Secret of mana on the Snes, great boss music biggrin.gif

All in all is all we are.

Here is a list of Games that I have music from...

Alien Trilogy
    Bloody Roar
    Breath Of Fire III
    Bubble Bobble
    Bust A Groove
    CastleVania NES
    CastleVania SNES
    CastleVania SOTN
    Diablo
    FinalFantasy VII / VIII
    Grand Theft Auto
    KingPin
    Kirby NES / N64 (lol)
    Megaman
    Quake II / III
    Resident Evil I / II
    Rival Schools
    Silent Hill
    Starcraft
    Street Fighter II / EX+A
    Mario
    Tekken 2
    Tenchu
    Tetris
    Tomb Raider
    Tribes II
    Wild Arms
    Wipeout
    Half Life
    And a collection of C64 tunes / medleys...

Im more into the depressing / orchestral music, and CastleVania SOTN has an absolutely adorable soundtrack...

There are other games out there that I haven't played yet, so Im sure there's some good tunes out there I should grab...

I'll give Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears a browse (Thanks Shinji)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Xenogears is the best place to start for Mitsuda-san's work, the intro track in particular is magnificent and Small of Two Pieces is probably the best vocal track I've ever heard in a game. Chrono Trigger is magnificent of course, but it is SNES music so it's a bit dodgy in terms of sample quality; Cross reprises some of the themes and is great.

I'm reliably informed that Grandia has fantastic music although I haven't heard that much of it. And if you find the Elemental Gearbolt soundtrack anywhere, let me know - it's great but really hard to find!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Like I said...

American McGee's Alice has some of the most fantastic music there is.
    Check it out Rope...

Again, cheers Shinji for the feedback!
    Angel, I heard the music from my times up at your house playing the game - I have to get some of those tracks!

Good atmospheric haunting tunes... Lubberly Jubberly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭zeemoud

can anyone tell me the name of the song at the end of metal gear solid the classic one i think its a violin witch goes "hi lo hi lo ..."

ohh and the music from
    america mc gees - alice
    is made by your guy fron Nine Inch Nails

Can you guys post links to any sites that deal with game music/downloads?

Oh, nearly forgot, the Version of Adaggio For Strings in Homeworld has to be the most amazing piece of computer music ever written....mainly because it dinnae have any strings and still works.... smile.gif. Finally got the MP3 of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

If you can find it anywhere (short of a decaying C64 somewhere) I recomend the music from Creatures 2 for all those true game music lovers. Those guys were the Chemical Brothers ahead of their time.

*I have killed a man, a man who looked like me*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The music for Doom and Doom 2 (don't laugh).

Very good music for music that is basically done in MIDI, and some of the tracks are versions of metal songs, eg

Them bones - Alice in chains
    Behind the crooked cross - Slayer
    This Love - Pantera
    Master of puppets - Metallica

Also Quake(nine inch nails), and Quake 2(sonic mayhem)

The orchestral music for Warcraft 2 was excellent also, and most of the music in Diablo is class

So many coming to mind.

Total Annihilation - pure class. Symphony of a CD.

Starlancer - very atmospheric, not great on their own though.

Unreal - Yes I actually liked the single player, and the soundtrack suited it perfectly.

MotorHead

Parallax main tune, Last Ninja 1+2, Delta, Cybernoid on the 64.

• Advertisement

Speaking of C64 music, does anyone remember that extremely cool loading screen music for Renegade and some other games?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

F-Zero X on N64 = best music in a computer game EVER!! It's incredible!!

Sounds just like Gamma Ray, Iron Maiden and Steve Vai smile.gif Perfect for me, at least the japs have some decent taste in music, not like those stupid british people who put dance **** into Wipeout!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

Guilty Gear -> great soundtrack, sounds like Iron Maiden riffing, great stuff.

Quake 1/2 -> Excellent, really adds to the atmosphere.

[This message has been edited by black_wizardd (edited 14-05-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Good music;

Shadow of Beast 2 (especially when you are reborn)
    Xenon 2

Atmosphere Indy 4: Fate of Atlantis
    Monkey Island 1
    Actually any of your lucasarts man's stuff

Intro to Zelda 64
    Music for Aliens3 on amiga
    No-one lives forever, spot on.

Btw theres plenty of sites that do mod files; music files for the amiga and winamp will play them - so just look around.

I'd love to get some of the Amiga Music - Especially the Cannon Fodder / Aliens Music...

There's a tune also, the load up theme for Pinball Dreams / Fantasies (Cant remember which of the two) but it was an amazing theme...

There was also a tune from SuperFrog that I really liked, and "The Chaos Engine" had some lovely tracks also...

Alien Breed 2 Main Title Page music was freaky and amazing...

Anyone have any ide on how to obtain some of these!? Napster is a no no with 40% of game music... Emulators dont seem to work well for me either frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭zeemoud

most of the good music isn't made for games its just adapted pieces

Rope, the best way to get Amiga music is to hunt down the original Mods (modules). Most of the good ones have been converted to the PC. I dont have links handy but they're not hard to find. (You could try www.overclocked.org for remixes of mainly amiga stuff)
    You can use FastTracker to edit/play, or better still just go to Winamp.com and download the TFX (Chris Huelsbeck format, Turrican 1/2/3 etc.), MOD and MED plugins.

If you really want these on MP3/CD send me the links. I converted a lot of my own Amiga stuff (Yes, I used to 'compose' on it, badly...) across a while ago and found that Cooledit has some good filters for adding false-stereo/removing buzz etc., they sound a LOT better afterwards.

KAISER - That'd be one of the Ocean-Loader themes. If I remember rightly there were 3 (For ~90% of their games). 2 by Martin Galway, 1 by Johnathan Dunn. Go to www.c64audio.com and you'll find loads of mixes of it (Michael Briel's are very good). It's also on some of the Back In Time cds available there. Great tune.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 15-05-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by --Kaiser--:

Also Quake(nine inch nails), and Quake 2(sonic mayhem)
    </font>

Didnt "White Zombie" do most of Quake 2's soundtrack

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Slydice:
    Didnt "White Zombie" do most of Quake 2's soundtrack</font>

I'm pretty sure it was Sonic Mayhem that did both Quake 2 and Quake 3 Arena.

The first song on the original Quake CD was unreal! I really love that whole CD.

The best tune from a game HAS to be Red Alert's Hell March - that rules!

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So I turned around to Jack Charlton and said: "Well of course it's not a football Jack, it's an '86 Chardonay!!!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Advertisement

the first song on quake 1? yeah that Nine Inch Nails song kicks ass, pity the rest are just atmospheric (still quite good though)

Most Red alert music is all right, but 'hell march' is an exception!

Advertisement