Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about multi-scart.

Options
  • 06-12-2004 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I have a setup at home which consists of a panasonic 28" widescreen tv, a JVC home theatre setup and an xbox.

I will soon have an xbox, a PS2 and a Gamecube on the same tv.

What I need to know is if there is a scart/digital splitter that I can get that will deal with all the consoles plugged in at the same time and also know which one to choose, I would prefer not to have to stand up and switch a box or to mess about with the back of the tv all the time ( I know I'm lazy aiight)
    Anyway, does anyone know of a way or a product that I can get that will sort this out?
    Thanks.

<edit> all with optical digital sound btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Blub2k4 wrote:

<edit> all with optical digital sound btw.
    Ah, it was all going so well until this line.... :D

You shouldn't need your scart splitter to switch audio for you, the home theatre system should do that for you. If you don't have 3 optical inputs on your home theatre system, something like this will sort out the problem for you.

For the scart switching, there are 2 options. The automatic scart switcher like this which detects the last piece of hardware to be switched on and selects it, or something like this that will allow you to use a remote control to select the source. While the first option looks more attractive, bear in mind that it works off scart control voltages, which as far as I can remember are on pin 18 of a scart. When it detects the control voltage coming on, it switches to that input. The thing is, none of the game consoles output that control voltage, because they all give you just the basic composite output through scart, so the box won't automatically switch and you'll have to make the dreaded walk across the room to hit the button on the scart switcher box...

So option 2 will work via remote control for you. Another possible alternative might be to examine the back of the JVC home cinema system to see if it has video inputs (yellow RCA plugs). If it does, you can use the home cinema system to switch both video and audio with one simple press of the remote.

Hope some of that helps,

Robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

thanks for the help Robbie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I would agree up to one point.
    As far as I remember the Gamecube does not have an Optical output.
    And also there is no addon from what I know.
    seems a b**** but the sound was still really good in Pro Logic.
    I think the problem would also be, as you said, that consoles don't have the master current, so the scart boc won't detect them.
    from what I understood Blub2k, you want to be a gaming couch potatoe and don't want to move after you've sat down.
    getting up to change the Scart would be too tough then.

Btw, what is the model of you homoe cinema system?
    maybe there is a way to do it through that

Advertisement