Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Drummer?

Options
  • 28-05-2001 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

This came up in the Best bassist thread, so... Why not have the full sheebang and have a best drummer thread?

I'll wait for someone else to start a best keyboarder thread though...

Anyway... Here's my choicest cuts:

Nick Barker: Dimmu Borgir / ex. Cradle Of Filth
    The god of thunder, in other words...
    Officialy the fastest double bass drummer in existance. But he also does some of the fastest all round drumming I've ever heard in my life...

Trym - Emperor / Zyklon
    One of the few drummers who I've heard that can even come close to Nick.

Adrian Eraldsson - Cradle Of Filth / ex. At The Gates
    Possibly the one of the few drummers alive that could fill Nick's place in Cradle. This guy kicks ass...
    Also check out some of his older At The Gates stuff, seriously something, that is...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Klay

1. Dave Grahl (Is that how you spell it?) of Nirvana/Foo Figthers. The guy is a musical genius..he plays everything.

Don't kill me for this...
    2. Phil Collins...
    redface.gif

Let the flaming commence..

"(Shaft error to Klay[b-airlock140.esatclear.ie]: Erection reset by queer)"

[This message has been edited by Klay (edited 29-05-2001).]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I love the way lip service is paid to black metal bands. Especially since their drummers aren'y bothered with such trivial matters as melody and rhythm. What non-conformists! Those craxy cats! What whacky Norweigian Satanists!

HAIL KEITH MOON.

Rob.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Nervana Drummer.. he can sing biggrin.gif and drum and have his own band smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by -ADREN-:
    Nervana Drummer.. he can sing biggrin.gif and drum and have his own band smile.gif</font>

personally i suggest you check out pretty much any jazz drummer and i think you will find most of them are, well, better for want of a word, whan most any other type of musical drummer (thats an oxymoron isnt it smile.gif)

One Of your Imps Does A Good Impersonation Of You
    He Can Even Do The Ears.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

SHUT THE HELL UP ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially AngelWhore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

definitely dave grohl. he is rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dr. Loon:
    Dave Grohl - Nirvana????!!! Are you takin the ****, also the drummers from the metal bands are pure speed drummers, which isn't what drumming is about. I think it's hilarious tat people think to be good at drums you have to be fast.....a bunch of **** . Someone said look at any jazz drummer and you'll see the best drummers in the world (or something like that!) sorry i can't remember your name but yeah, you're right.
    Do any of u play drums,if so, it's upsetting to see you think speed is the essence of drumming. It's about perfect timing, co-ordination, rhythm, and skill, and of course speed doesn't hurt either....I'd personally say John Densmore from the doors is one of the best drummers around, as he learned all the seperate drums by themselves in a marching band in school, so he had a better understanding of eac individual drum than most other drummers, and that is generall how most jazz drummers would lear their trade. Starting on snare, then bass drum, side drum, cymbals etc.....eventually combining the lot!!! Sorry if I'm ranting, but Dave Grohl!!!!! I can't believe it!!!
    </font>

Saying that speed drumming is not part of what drumming is about is the same as dismissing any non-virtuoso violin pieces. Speed drumming might not be as aethestically pleasing to the ear, but there is a degree of skill and coordination involved.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Man's got a point - good drumming != speed.

Sure, the likes of Dave from Nirvana/Foos and All these Black Metal heads are fast and stuff, but hitting drums at speed does not mean they're good.

I know one formally trained drummer and he's fantastic - he doesn't play speed drums (but I'm sure he could if he really wanted to), but instead he can read music and play what's required of the song without ever having heard it. THAT'S the kind of duumming that takes talent...

all that said, I love Jimmy Chamberlain and Joey from Slipknot - I think they do amazing things with the skins.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    We were all set for a game of Ice Hockey when Frank Williams says "Sorry lads, I've forgotten my skates!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

animal!!

animal.gif

- Dead Bank Clerk -
    "It's like soccer" said Dr. Teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I didn't say speed drumming isn't part of drumming, I said it's rediculous the way alot of uneducated (musically) people think that drumming is all about speed. It's not all about speed.
    I play the drums, I know I could sit down behind a kit in front of people who don't have a clue about the drums/music and play fast, fast beats and rolls, and they would think it's the most amazing thing they'd ever seen, and then If I was to play a slower beat with more skillful, fills, flams, slurs, rolls etc...they wouldn't think it's as good as the fast stuff!!! Now that's rediculous. There's alot of rudiments involved in drumming, and if you were to begin playing you'd soon learn that speed is one of the last things you will learn!!
    On the note of speed, Lars Ulrich was officially the best speed drummer in the world, I don't know if that still stands but if you're looking for speed and co-ordination in both his hands and double bass drum style, there's your man!!

Just to add to that, Animal is wicked too!! :-)

[This message has been edited by Dr. Loon (edited 29-05-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 t-bag

I gotsta agree wiv Dr. Loon.
    The bestest in my books anyway:
    Buddy Rich, bleedin rapid, did that Beat Goes On song with his daughter.
    and theres,
    John Bonham
    Lars Ulrich
    Charlie Watts
    Mitch Mitchell
    Russell Batiste - from The Meters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oh, two new additions...

Raymond Herrara - Fear Factory

Vinnie Paul - Pantera

Ok, most of you think I picked the drummers just because of speed?
    HELL NO!
    Well... Yes that is one of the main reasons why I picked the drummers I did...

But if you think that they have no rythem? You are by far wrong...

Just listen to any Emperor album.
    I picked my favorite drummers.
    And I'm not just going to say: "Some jazz dude I've never heard off..."
    Why is Nick Barker my favorite drummer?
    Well for one he is fast enough to smack those drums in time with the guitar notes, which is something I REALLY like...

Just listen to some of the stuff from the new Dimmu Borgir album. He's a fantastic drummer.

Maybe I should have named this thread "Who do YOU think is the best drummer?"

This is about opinions rabies and genteeelmen...

Maybe "Favorite Drummer?" would have been an even better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

DadaKopf -> suck my flute dumbass.

Best drummer IMO...

Dave Lombardo -> For his Slayer stuff, I think he's currently with Testament.

But oh, no tears please, fear and pain may acompany death, but it is desire that sheperds its certainty, as we shall see...

[This message has been edited by black_wizardd (edited 29-05-2001).]

David Ghrol (sp??)

Mitch Mitchelle (Hendrix's Drummer, Manic Depression.. totally improv)

Dave Grohl - Nirvana????!!! Are you takin the ****, also the drummers from the metal bands are pure speed drummers, which isn't what drumming is about. I think it's hilarious tat people think to be good at drums you have to be fast.....a bunch of **** . Someone said look at any jazz drummer and you'll see the best drummers in the world (or something like that!) sorry i can't remember your name but yeah, you're right.
    Do any of u play drums,if so, it's upsetting to see you think speed is the essence of drumming. It's about perfect timing, co-ordination, rhythm, and skill, and of course speed doesn't hurt either....I'd personally say John Densmore from the doors is one of the best drummers around, as he learned all the seperate drums by themselves in a marching band in school, so he had a better understanding of eac individual drum than most other drummers, and that is generall how most jazz drummers would lear their trade. Starting on snare, then bass drum, side drum, cymbals etc.....eventually combining the lot!!! Sorry if I'm ranting, but Dave Grohl!!!!! I can't believe it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Surely John Bonham of Led Zeppelin should go down here - Just listen to Moby Dick or Bonzo's Revenge and you'll know why smile.gif
    The guy is a classic.

Ta,
    Lampsie.

PS First one to make a drummer joke gets a nylon-tipped Promark in the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Ooops, someones already posted him smile.gif
    Ah well, he should probably be down twice anyways.

Not trying to get an argument going or being too abusive, but I was just wondering who here is actually a drummer, 'cos the majority wouldn't have a clue about the drums and why or how they are good or not!!

Quote: "Well for one he is fast enough to smack those drums in time with the guitar notes, which is something I REALLY like..."
    What the hell does that mean, in time with the guitar??? You're nuts!! Never mind having a clue about the drums, there needs to be some education on music.
    It's all fair enought though, if you personally like what you hear, I suppose that your taste, whether it be up your **** or good taste and musical sense.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    Man's got a point - good drumming != speed.

Sure, the likes of Dave from Nirvana/Foos and All these Black Metal heads are fast and stuff, but hitting drums at speed does not mean they're good.

I know one formally trained drummer and he's fantastic - he doesn't play speed drums (but I'm sure he could if he really wanted to), but instead he can read music and play what's required of the song without ever having heard it. THAT'S the kind of duumming that takes talent...

all that said, I love Jimmy Chamberlain and Joey from Slipknot - I think they do amazing things with the skins.

</font>

I agree, but what I'm saying that some speed drummers do exibit alot of skill. I still would have more respect for a very technical drummer, but I wouldn't call a speed drummer untalented.

It's a bit like comparing (guitar) an improvised solo, and a solo based soley from scales. The improvised one shows a very high degree of talent and skill, while the scales type solo is usually just sheerp practice, but I still wouldn't call the second solist untalented so long as his piece had some aesthetic quality to it smile.gif

[This message has been edited by nesf (edited 30-05-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Brian Downey from Thin Lizzy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

I read through this one fairly quickly so I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Jimmy Chamberlain yet but he is definetly my favourite by a country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dr. Loon:
    Not trying to get an argument going or being too abusive, but I was just wondering who here is actually a drummer, 'cos the majority wouldn't have a clue about the drums and why or how they are good or not!!

Quote: "Well for one he is fast enough to smack those drums in time with the guitar notes, which is something I REALLY like..."
    What the hell does that mean, in time with the guitar??? You're nuts!! Never mind having a clue about the drums, there needs to be some education on music.
    It's all fair enought though, if you personally like what you hear, I suppose that your taste, whether it be up your **** or good taste and musical sense.
    </font>

1. These boards would be pretty ****ing boring if people DIDN'T argue... Keep it up, I'm having fun...

2. I admit, I don't play drums... Never have, doubt I ever will...
    I play guitar and bass. Planning on learning a bit of keyboards...

3. I think what I said was pretty clear.
    Made sense to me anyway...
    Nick Barker plays in time with the guitar notes on the new Dimmu Borgir album.
    And if you ever listened to Dimmu Borgir, you'd know that the guitars are ****ing fast!
    And every note that is hit, Nick smacks his snare drum, while still thumping out a blast beat on the Double Bass like a gatling gun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

My favourite drummer is the Roland R-8 MK II.

-Son of Blam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

ya drum machines rok!!

i dont play drums or anything, but as far as i know travis barker of blink 182 is pretty good...

AngelWhore -> Vinne Paul, nice one, I was trying to decide between him and Lombardo, he's a god.

But oh, no tears please, fear and pain may acompany death, but it is desire that sheperds its certainty, as we shall see...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

To be a great drummer they need

Speed
    Power
    Rythem
    Timing
    and good compostion qualities

Dave is all off the above. The guy is a ****ing animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Prof.Frink

John Otto of Limp Bizkit

THANX

Glaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Well for one he is fast enough to smack those drums in time with the guitar notes, which is something I REALLY like...</font>
    £50 says if you ask most guitarists in a band, they will say THEY keep time with the drummer and not the other way around. Well I definately would (but then Ive awful timing smile.gif ) and same with every guitarist/bassist I know. Now this isnt exactly a world-wide survey, but people like Kharn, you play a bit, what would you or other band guitarists you know do?
    Keep time with drummer or vice-versa?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paladin:
    what would you or other band guitarists you know do?
    Keep time with drummer or vice-versa?
    </font>

Most of the time I keep my timing with the drummer but sometimes he keeps time with me/the other guitarist/the bassist, depends on the song/part of the song really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

IVe got very good timing, but I would keep time with the drummer, no point in flying ahead of him or anything.

Advertisement