Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Drummer?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Most of the time I keep my timing with the drummer but sometimes he keeps time with me/the other guitarist/the bassist, depends on the song/part of the song really.</font>
    Yea I guess, but even if only from listening to songs (in rock anyway) it always seems as if its the drummer that sets the tempo. Thinking about it now, maybe professionals have it pretty sorted for rythym most of the time anyway d'ya think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paladin:
    Well for one he is fast enough to smack those drums in time with the guitar notes, which is something I REALLY like...
    £50 says if you ask most guitarists in a band, they will say THEY keep time with the drummer and not the other way around. Well I definately would (but then Ive awful timing smile.gif ) and same with every guitarist/bassist I know.</font>

Yeah, I know...Thats what makes Nick Barker so cool and original...

[This message has been edited by AngelWhore (edited 06-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rabbit_Fascist

Reni from The Stone Roses is widely regarded as a phenomenal drummer.

The Green Day drummer is pretty good too, and of course, Keith Moon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well, having hear this "God of Thunder" AngelWhore is talking about, I can confirm that it is indeed pretty amazing what the guy is doing, but it's not original.

Jimmy Chamberlain or Joey are 2 of the most creative drummers I've ever heard.

Listen to the fist Slipknot album's drums - none of the beats on any of the songs sound the same. Here's the difficult bit, there are 2 other drummers in the band, but it's easy enough to filter them out as they're only there to compliment his stuff and beat each other up.

Jimmy Chamberlain speaks for himself - such diversity over how many different songs on how many different albums while the band went through how many different changes?
    Quality.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    We were all set for a game of Ice Hockey when Frank Williams says "Sorry lads, I've forgotten my skates!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well...

I'd like to say that the drummer with Type O Negative is pretty cool.
    He doesn't do anything amazing, but he just has great sound...

He does this kind of... Atmospheric drumming, which is damn cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

The drums are the backbone of ANY band, including oochestral movements, just in a different sense, generally the bassist then locks in with the drums to set a groove. That's common musical knowledge....drums+ bass = backbone, now a drummer, may while playing the groove or backbeat, accent a guitar riff with the snare/bassdrum, floor tom, cymbals or whatever the **** he/she wants.... it's obvious, there's some unusual situation where a drummer might completely go with the guita but again, it's still accenting, becaus the drums are the backbone of any rockband, no matter how diverse or seemingly out of time it is with the music, it's always in time in the drummer/bassplayers head.....whatever the guitarist wants to do, they can do, just stay in time!!! Make sense? 'Course it does....there's offbeats, double beats inside a single beat, half time feels, accenting, cymbal rolls, and alot of other things drummers do, that makes it sound like they're going with something else, but it's all just build ups and bridges.....they don't follow the bleedin guitar!!!

Advertisement