Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing a BIOS chip?

Options
  • 06-12-2004 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

What is the best method for removing a socket bios chip? I'm expecting a replacement in the post shortly and need to do a swap. I've heard there's sucha thing as a chip swapper?
    I tried a small screwdriver i had and gave a go at prying it slightly but its wedged in tight.

Also, in doing so i managed to crack the housing slightly. Nothing major but enough to make me figure out a better way.

here's mine. i should point out that since its in a shuttle its fairly tricky to get at.

ite_bios.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

There is a special tool which looks a bit like a tweezers, but with hooks at the end. They used to be common in the days of Maths Co-Pro's but I haven't seen one in a few years. I'm sure you'd pick one up in Maplins, or from the likes of Radionics.

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what u need is something like a pin only thicker,

i used a big paper clip (really big one!) basically u need something small enough to fit the small holes at one of two corners, push it in there and lever it up, done it loads of time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

i have one i got it in a pc-tool kit i got in maplins..... it was only cheap ...but if they dont have anymore give me a shout and ill give you a lend of this one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

tis grand i managed to jimmy it out.

thanks lads.

Advertisement