Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best live album?

Options
  • 11-05-2001 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

i only have 4 so i'm open to opinion;
    out of:
    Metallica: S&M
    Nirvana: From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah
    Thin Lizzy: Live and Dangerous
    Nirvana: Unplugged in New York
    ...here are my verdicts:

Metallica: liked S&M, despite what the critics and the diehard metallica fans had to say. the orchestra worked well for most of it
    Nirvana: fine, despite some dodgy renditions. preferred most of the studio versions
    Thin Lizzy: blistering guitar solos, great versions of the originals. though apparently it was polished up alot in the studio.
    Nirvana Unplugged: excellent. showed that nirvana's songs were timeless, take About a Girl for example. also some excellent covers here, such as David bowie, the meat puppets, the vaselines, ledbelly

any more views/contributions?

Durty auld Morris drums... they're fu*kin' great!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

S&M was a great album, but it left out some of their best songs. The orchestra made it sound amazing, check out the start of hero of the day smile.gif

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous is my personal favourite live album, top stuff

From the muddy banks... was good, Unplugged was far superior

Strangely, they are also the only 4 live albums I have smile.gif

Eye ham zee Walroos.
    You ham zee Flyhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

If you like U2 and want to hear them at their best get "Under a blood red sky"

Rory Gallaghers BBC live stuff is pretty good.

But the best live album of all time has to be "Pulse" by pink floyd. The video kicks major ass smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Bjork - Violently Live
    Jeff Buckley - Mystery White Boy
    Pink Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There (The Wall Live)

Each are absolutely essential live listening if you like the artists mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I don't have that many Live albums, to be honest.

But for all I've heard, S&M - Metallica takes the cake.
    But as far as ochestras go, Dimmu Borgir, Therion and Tristania have them beat.

I hear Marduk's live album is really quite something, have yet to get it though...

S&M ? oh no.. over-glorified crap imo, I'll say no more.

You want orchestras? Portishead Live in NYC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The delicate sound of thunder by pink floyd. oh god yes.

Also, i know its a cliche but Frampton Comes Alive by Peter Frampton is worth it just for that live version of Do You Feel Like I Do.

I honestly haven't listened to Delicate Sound of Thunder at all.. without Waters its just not too appealing to me smile.gif

might dl it see what its like though.
    I presume you've seen Live At Pompeii Dustaz?
    If not go buy it, get wrecked and enjoy the most mind opening Floyd performance ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭[fist]Snowball

Will be The Frames 1 when it comes out

Snowball.

Another sign in name ... he ... whats new.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

mmmmm S&M the only album I've got in YEARS that I liked more than 90% of the songs. Quite simply it rules. Leaf Clover and Hero of the Day are simply sublime.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:
    I honestly haven't listened to Delicate Sound of Thunder at all.. without Waters its just not too appealing to me smile.gif

might dl it see what its like though.
    I presume you've seen Live At Pompeii Dustaz?
    If not go buy it, get wrecked and enjoy the most mind opening Floyd performance ever.
    </font>
    It took a while for DST to grow on me, but after a few weeks in India , i became convinced the sun COULD NOT go down unless comfortably numb was playing smile.gif
    And no, ive never seen Live at Pompeii *hangs head in shame* I always forget when i go out to get stuff frown.gif

• Advertisement

Nightwish have a live album aswel...

I've only heard a couple of tracks from it, but they sound fantastic live, I can tell you...

I don't know the name of the album though...

Can't get it here in Ireland, unfortunatly...
    I have to get a lot of my CD's specialy ordered in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Brummers

No way, has to be the Band of Gypsy's Live at the Filmore East.

In a dark dark place, in a dark dark house, in a dark dark room, in a dark dark cupboard, in a dark dark shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

What about the "Live Sh|t, Binge & Purge" box set from Metallica? A bunch of live CD's, videos, and other stuff in a big metal box.

I haven't seen/heard the material myself-... anyone comment?

btw... I kinnnnda agree on S&M ... being a Metallica fan, I bought it regardless without having yet heard it... and it was definately a grower. I can certainly see how the orchestra helps in certain songs, and creates an entire new experience for some others... Call of Ktulu... maaan... wow!!!

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 12-05-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

"Amarok" - Mike Oldfield.

While not normally a fan of this type of music I have to say "MirrorBall" - Sarah Mclachlan is stunning. Technically imaculate for a live performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭syringe

Eric Clapton - Unplugged. That's a pretty funky album . RATM Unplugged and Rare - schweeeee. That's the only two I know that are worthy, I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

hehe, everyone seems to love S&M. heres a little something for S&M fans: http://www.stickdeath.com/sticktallica.htm

(plug in your speakers smile.gif)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by boddah:
    hehe, everyone seems to love S&M. heres a little something for S&M fans: http://www.stickdeath.com/sticktallica.htm

(plug in your speakers smile.gif)
    </font>

Um...

ok...

That sucked... Where's the death?

um, that particular one didn't have death. goto www.stickdeath.com and click on shockedsh!t for some stickdeath

!!WARNING!! features green and blue stickmen ripping each others limbs off

Durty auld Morris drums... they're fu*kin' great!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The best live album and live video is Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads. The video was directed by Johnaton Demme (Silence of the Lambs) and was conceived as a stage show and planned rather than just shooting a concert all crappy like.

It's bloody great.

Go out and buy it and listen to it.

I command it.

I'm the Dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

Slayer -> Decade of Aggression.

What an album, the majority of the best tunes on two cd's, what more can I ask for, well maybe Jeff Hanneman's guitar smile.gif.

I wonder would he give it to me, I doubt it.

Me -> "Look Jeff a diversion"
    Jeff -> "Huh"
    Me -> *snatch*...followed by running, inhumanly fast running, probably followed by Jeff waving furiously.

But oh, no tears please, fear and pain may acompany death, but it is desire that sheperds its certainty, as we shall see...

[This message has been edited by black_wizardd (edited 16-05-2001).]

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    What about the "Live Sh|t, Binge & Purge" box set from Metallica? A bunch of live CD's, videos, and other stuff in a big metal box.

I haven't seen/heard the material myself-... anyone comment?
    </font>

Yep, I have "Live sh|t binge and purge" on tape, its the best live MetallicA album going period. Dont have the video or whatever else comes with it, just 2 tapes of live stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hmm, binge and purge. yeah i have i on mp3 and its ok.
    S&M is far superior i think thou. its just the whole arrangement. all the wy though, the little bits in it that blows me away. its still the only album i listen to on a regualr basis.
    however, its an oldie but a goodie, the best live album i have or have heard still goes to iron maiden with live after death. i have the tape, the cd and the video. not sure why, but there you go. every single song is a classic to an old rocker like myself.
    probably not 'heavy' enough for most of todays metal heads, or classy enough for anyone else, but damn, its an incredible show and they are a band who were made to play live

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hmm, binge and purge. yeah i have i on mp3 and its ok.
    S&M is far superior i think thou. its just the whole arrangement. all the wy though, the little bits in it that blows me away. its still the only album i listen to on a regualr basis.
    however, its an oldie but a goodie, the best live album i have or have heard still goes to iron maiden with live after death. i have the tape, the cd and the video. not sure why, but there you go. every single song is a classic to an old rocker like myself.
    probably not 'heavy' enough for most of todays metal heads, or classy enough for anyone else, but damn, its an incredible show and they are a band who were made to play live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 [PS]SéaN

I got Pearl Jam live at the Point not so long ago on double cd and have to say it roxors. Maybe not the best live album ever, but it certainly is worth a listen. Top Notch stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by syringe:
    Eric Clapton - Unplugged. That's a pretty funky album . </font>

I'm agreed 100% Amazing clarity and control for a live acoustic set, esp on "For love", "Walking Blues", and "Layla".

I forgot Emperor's "Emperial live ceremony" fu<kin excellent album/video.

But oh, no tears please, fear and pain may acompany death, but it is desire that sheperds its certainty, as we shall see...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

blink182 live album is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Bounca posted a good one there , the Blink 182 one is excellent , I really enjoyed even for someone who comes down on the NoFX side of the camp

Shrewgar!

Does anyone have the NoFx live album?
    (its called "I heard they suck live") smile.gif
    is it any good?

Durty auld MORRIS drums...
    they're fu*kin' great!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live At Luther College for me. No question.

My Adolescent website:
    http://www.iol.net/~mullent

Advertisement