Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't play PS2 online with ZyXEL Prestige 623R-T1 Modem/Router!

• 06-12-2004 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Dear boards.ie members,

I have a PS2 with a Network Adaptor. I have an EsatBT Broadband Plus connection. I have a ZyXEL Prestige 623R-T1 ADSL Modem/Router. But I can't play online! :( I spoke to the guys at the "PS2 Online Help Centre" and they said my problems were due to the in-built firewall of my Zyxel Router. They asked me to create a DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) in order to be able to play online using my PS2...

My question: How the hell do you do that? Has anybody managed to play a PS2 online game (in my case WRC4) with the ZyXEL Prestige 623R-T1 Modem/Router? How do I set-up my Router to play PS2 games online? I hope you can help me!

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Come on guys! I'm sure I'm not the only one on boards.ie with an EsatBT connection and a ZyXEL Prestige 623R-T1 ADSL Modem/Router who is having problems playing PS2 online games!

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated! ;)

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pingoo

Hi Steffano, ok so I play online but not with this kind of router but the problem could stand somewhere else. I need to know at which stage is the error message appearing. Can you at least connect to the Central Station Server? When using the Network cd from the PS2, run the diagnostic and tell us if you have any fail tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Also there is no firewall on that router.
    As for the PS2, does it connect to a PPPoE or does it prefer routing?
    Does it recieve an IP address? Can u specify one instead?

pingoo wrote:
    Hi Steffano, ok so I play online but not with this kind of router but the problem could stand somewhere else. I need to know at which stage is the error message appearing. Can you at least connect to the Central Station Server?
    The Error Message appears in-game when I try to connect to the WRC4 server(s): right after the DNAS Authentication and just before the Terms & Conditions appear. I can indeed connect to the Central Station Server, no problems there!
    pingoo wrote:
    When using the Network cd from the PS2, run the diagnostic and tell us if you have any fail tests
    No fail tests. I assume the ports used by WRC4 are blocked by my router's in-built firewall...

Thanks for your help pingoo! ;)

Diabolus wrote:
    Also there is no firewall on that router.
    I'm pretty sure there is Diabolus
    Diabolus wrote:
    As for the PS2, does it connect to a PPPoE or does it prefer routing?
    Does it recieve an IP address? Can u specify one instead?
    :eek: Haven't got a clue about all this Diabolus! I just put the CD in when I bought the Network Adaptor and the PS2 detected my connection settings automatically. I don't know anything about PPPoE/routing settings or creating a static IP address! :eek: How do I do all this? Help (and sorry for being useless)!

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure there is Diabolus

:eek: Haven't got a clue about all this Diabolus! I just put the CD in when I bought the Network Adaptor and the PS2 detected my connection settings automatically. I don't know anything about PPPoE/routing settings or creating a static IP address! :eek: How do I do all this? Help (and sorry for being useless)!

Hi Steffano, well Diabolus is right there is no in-built firewall in the Zyxell 623, only Security settings such as ICMP Traffic blocking or telnet for example, no other restriction. Now one thing for sure is that if you can connect to Central Station is that your PS2 is setup properly and because you do not have any in-built firewall, it's more likely to be maybe a specific port blocked by the ISP which is possible, in that case it would explain why you can connect to Central Station, passing the DNAS, you mainly use port 80 and 443 according to the documentation. In the opposite side, games such as WRC4 will use ports exceeding 10000 after passing the DNAS check. Well I don't know if I make myself clear but that's what I think ;)

Hope it's useful to you.

pingoo wrote:
    Hi Steffano, well Diabolus is right there is no in-built firewall in the Zyxell 623, only Security settings such as ICMP Traffic blocking or telnet for example, no other restriction. Now one thing for sure is that if you can connect to Central Station is that your PS2 is setup properly and because you do not have any in-built firewall, it's more likely to be maybe a specific port blocked by the ISP which is possible, in that case it would explain why you can connect to Central Station, passing the DNAS, you mainly use port 80 and 443 according to the documentation. In the opposite side, games such as WRC4 will use ports exceeding 10000 after passing the DNAS check. Well I don't know if I make myself clear but that's what I think ;)

Hope it's useful to you.

Dear pingoo,

Thank you for your help! What you explain above is pretty much what I was thinking... But what do I need to do in order for my router to stop blocking the ports used by WRC4? I rang my ISP (EsatBT) and they said there was nothing they could do and that I had to contact ZyXEL...
    How do you get this stupid-ass router to do its job? :(

Thanks a million lads! ;)

All you need to do is forward the port in the router to the ip address of the PS2.

Go to the 192.168.1.1 page and access the NAT feature.
    Then go to Sua Only and Edit details.
    Assaign the ports needed to the ip address of the PS2.

Diabolus wrote:
    All you need to do is forward the port in the router to the ip address of the PS2.

Go to the 192.168.1.1 page and access the NAT feature.
    Then go to Sua Only and Edit details.
    Assaign the ports needed to the ip address of the PS2.

Dear Diabolus,

Thanks a million for your help! I had indeed messed around with these NAT settings but how do I find out my PS2's IP address? Do I have to set a static IP address for my PS2? This looks very tricky...

Once I have this static IP, all I need to do is add it to the very 1st line (the very top) of my NAT settings where it says "Start Port No.-All ports /End Port No.-All ports". Is that correct?

Again, thanks a million for all your help! :)

If the PS2 picks up the IP Automatically and its the only thing connected then the IP address will be 192.168.1.33 ... If you have PC etc connected it gets tricky.

• Advertisement

Diabolus wrote:
    If the PS2 picks up the IP Automatically and its the only thing connected then the IP address will be 192.168.1.33 ... If you have PC etc connected it gets tricky.
    Hi Diabolus! :D

Well my ZyXEL router is plugged straight into my PS2. So my IP is 192.168.1.33?
    Am I right in saying all I need to do now is add this IP to the very 1st line (at the very top) of my NAT settings where it says "Start Port No.-All ports / End Port No.-All ports"?

Thanks again for all your help! Really appreciated! ;)

Yes.

Also try putting the exact port if u can its works better.

Diabolus wrote:
    Yes.

Also try putting the exact port if u can its works better.

Thanks again for all your help Diabolus!

I'll try giving that a try this evening and I'll let you know! ;)

Thanks again for all your help Diabolus!

I'll try giving that a try this evening and I'll let you know! ;)

Hi Steffano, just a quick note to confirm how to get your IP on the PS2:
    Run the diagnostic in order to test your connection and then click on details, you'll see the IP address that you are receiving. Not really important but that can be useful.

Just to let you know, the first IP given by default from the Zyxel 623 is 192.168.1.33 so there is a big chance that it is the one ;)

Hi guys,

Well I tried all this last night and nothing worked... Still having the same problem. I asked my ZyXEL router to open all ports for IP 192.168.1.33 but I still couldn't access the WRC4 online server(s).

I asked for the ports used by WRC4 on the PS2 forums and I'm still waiting for a reply... :(

So frustrating... Don't know what to do next... :confused:

The major problem is that the PS2 doesnt run well on SUA only.
    Its rather difficult to get going.

X-Box on the otherhand works perfectly.
    Its just the way the PS2 is made.
    I'd suggest a different router to be honest as the PS2 is picky with that one.
    (Hence why IOL do not support the PS2 but do the XBox)

Ok, fair enough. I was thinking about getting a standard BB modem for the PS2. Can anybody here suggest a cheap one that would work with the PS2 and be easy enough to set-up with my EsatBT connection?

Thanks again for your invaluable help! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

bush wrote:
    Thank you bush. BB Modem purchased. ;)

Hi bush,

I got this modem/router today (my God that was fast!) but I can't get it to work with my EsatBT/IOL connection! :o

Could you please help me with the settings? I did my best (even rang EsatBT but they could only help to some extent) but I always fail the "Test PPPoPvc 0 PPP layer connection" test... Every single test above that was successful.

What am I doing wrong? Can you help me please?

My MSN (just in case): stephaneonckel@hotmail.com

Thanks again for all your help! ;)

• Advertisement

I think the problem lies in the fact that IOLBB uses PPPoE.
    Not PPPoPvc or whatever u said. Make sure its on PPPoE.
    Also check ur username - johnsmith@iolbb

Diabolus wrote:
    I think the problem lies in the fact that IOLBB uses PPPoE.
    Not PPPoPvc or whatever u said. Make sure its on PPPoE.
    Also check ur username - johnsmith@iolbb
    Hi Diabolus,

I believe I did all this already... I'm sure of my User Name (they confirmed it when I rang IOL) and the guy on the phone also told me to make sure it was set to PPPoE (it was set to PPPoA but I changed it to PPPoE >>> no luck)... :o

PM sent.

Guys I still need help! Diabolus did you get my PM?

HELP!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Hi bush,

I got this modem/router today (my God that was fast!) but I can't get it to work with my EsatBT/IOL connection! :o

Could you please help me with the settings? I did my best (even rang EsatBT but they could only help to some extent) but I always fail the "Test PPPoPvc 0 PPP layer connection" test... Every single test above that was successful.

What am I doing wrong? Can you help me please?

My MSN (just in case): stephaneonckel@hotmail.com

Thanks again for all your help! ;)

Dunno if this is too late but anyway

Go into WAN and press submit for pvc0

Change Encapsulation to PPPoE LLC
    Change VPI to 8
    Change VCI to 35

Then enter your username and password on the right hand side

Press submit on the bottom

Save settings and reboot

Should work after that, sorry if its too late. If you need anymore help with the router giz a shout

Thanks bush!

Didn't get to try the above as I now have an IBB connection with no modem/router! Everyting sorted as a result! :D

Thanks again for your help guys!

Advertisement