Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying from the US - How much Duty do I have to pay on entry into Ireland?

Options
  • 06-12-2004 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying some camera equipment. I have noticed that I can purchase equipment much cheaper from suppliers outside the EU

My case at the moment is a Flashgun in the States for €222 plus €25 shipping compared to €399 for the same unit in Dublin. :(

Can anyone please tell me how much Import Duty I would have to pay for this item?

How is it calculated?

Is there any chance of it getting through Customs without having to pay extra?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Ok, the first €40 or so is Duty Free, but after that, you stand a high probability of being hit for Customs and VAT. Customs is 20%, and VAT is 21%.
    You'll get hit for around €44 customs, and €46 of VAT, so you'll end up paying €312.

Edit: Sorry, the start of my post was mis-phrased. Anything UNDER €40 is duty-free. You'll get charged on the full amount if it is over €40

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Got yeah! - still cheaper than Dublin even if you add the shipping! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If it goes by regular post it will almost certainly get past Customs. Companies like UPS have to declare the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bass.exe wrote:
    Ok, the first €40 or so is Duty Free, but after that, you stand a high probability of being hit for Customs and VAT. Customs is 20%, and VAT is 21%.
    You'll get hit for around €44 customs, and €46 of VAT, so you'll end up paying €312.

Edit: Sorry, the start of my post was mis-phrased. Anything UNDER €40 is duty-free. You'll get charged on the full amount if it is over €40

These days you WILL get charged. Post from US now goes to Germany and some subsidiary of the UK Post Office handles it. They ensure that duty is paid. Think they charge An Post who in turn will charge you. I believe you can be charged excise duty on delivery charges as well. Happened to a friend of mine on kiddie Chrimbo pressies. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You might want to wait until the new year, as I think US postal are cancelling their contract with the utterly inept GLS then. Am i right in this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

Based on €222.00 plus €25.00 shipping it's calculated as follows

€247.00 @ 3.7 Duty for Photographic equipment = €9.13
    €256.13 @ 21 Vat = €53.78

Total Vat & Duty = €62.91

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Highlander wrote:
    Based on €222.00 plus €25.00 shipping it's calculated as follows

€247.00 @ 3.7 Duty for Photographic equipment = €9.13
    €256.13 @ 21 Vat = €53.78

Total Vat & Duty = €62.91

This is a totally different calculation to what Bass.exe posted earlier.

Are you sure there is only %3.7 Duty for Photographic equipment? This is a long way off %20!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

is_that_so wrote:
    These days you WILL get charged. Post from US now goes to Germany and some subsidiary of the UK Post Office handles it. They ensure that duty is paid. Think they charge An Post who in turn will charge you. I believe you can be charged excise duty on delivery charges as well. Happened to a friend of mine on kiddie Chrimbo pressies. :(

You sure of that?

I received a package from amazon.com yesterday, value $65. Came standard post through Frankfurt, but was delivered by my local postman with not tax/duty payable. I've received 5/6 packages over the year, all sent through Germany, all over $50 in value, and all delivered by postie with no tax due.

My advice is get it sent by ordinary post, it will take longer but may just avoid extra charges. Not sure about the security of getting larger expensive items sent this way.

Advertisement