Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesiac: Opinions

Options
  • 14-06-2001 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Just took receipt of Radiohead's Amnesiac: Limited Special Edition version from Amazon today- comes in a little arty book with a stamped library card and the CD tucked into the front... no actual jewel case... kinda cool... but it's the music that matters, of course.

On first listen, it's uninspiring and not very memorable. No particular tracks stick out strongly enough. Sorry- this isn't a slating, -it's just a first impression. My first impressions of Kid A, when I heard Fanning playing the tracks "exclusively" on 2FM was "okay, so what's this experimental stuff... and when the hell is he playing Radiohead??"... but I now adore that truly gorgeous album and long shall it last near the top of my playlist!!

Perhaps Amnesiac needs time to grow on me like Kid A did- I dunno... it *shouldn't* really need it though, - that's the thing... there should be tracks that jump up and scream "Look at me! Listen to me! I f**kin' rock, man! I do!" - and even on first listen to Kid A, some tracks (National Anthem, How to Disappear, Idioteque...) pretty much did just that... and just needed a few more listens before I took proper notice.

The most truly noticeable track on first play of Amnesiac for me today was "Morning Bell/Amnesiac", but that's because I liked Morning Bell on Kid A - and while this sounded like he was singing it while going demented from lack of sleep (- hence the title, I presume), it was still little more than an encore of the Kid A track.

I'll give it a chance to grow - because as far as music goes, Radiohead are utterly top notch IMHO. It's an interesting direction they're taking- I'd just love to hear them do another Pablo Honey... (wouldn't we all??? smile.gif ) At the moment, for me, it's an impossible one to call.

Nice arty book thing tho'... smart.

Thoughts?

[Edit]: Here's NME's fairly non-committal review, in which they award it 8/10

Bard
    Does exactly what it says on the tin.

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 14-06-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

I like the 4th song and the 2nd last song and last song - (I'm not big on names) after a couple of listenings too. This is very much as it was for me when listening to Kid-A which I now mark as one of my favourites. The only bad thing I can note this far is that where Kid-A was pretty much a continuous array of vaguely similar experimental songs that blended into each other (and made it really easy to click into once you liked one or two), its not the same with Amnesiac - thus far. Initially I don't think I'll hang around with this album as much as Kid-A made me do - I think Kid-A will be considered the better of the two.

Maybe in the end it will be considered the difference between The Bends and Ok Computer - I still don't know which of those too I prefer more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 sphincter_boy

I think knives out is a better song than anything that was on kid a.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Listening to it on the headphones in work with no distractions and no other sounds to hear - makes a big difference - and yes... it's beginning to grow on me.

I'm starting to like "You & Whose Army?" and yes, sphincter_boy, Knives Out is a good song, but there'd be tracks on Kid A that I'd still rank higher.

All in all, it's getting better (man).

Bard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Amnesiac has more great songs on it than bad. Here's my Black and White call on it...

Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box - Great

Pyramid Song - Great

Pullk-Pull Revolving Doors - shíte

You And whose Army - Great

I Might Be Wrong - Great

Knives Out - Excellent, Best Track

Amnesiac-Morning Bell - Not bad, prefer Kid A version

Dollars & Cents - *sigh* no thanks

Hunting Bears - Nice instrumental thing

Like Spinning Plates - Nothing acheived here

Life In A Glass House - Radiohead mixed with a jazzy 'New Orleans' type thing, not bad at all.

bearlite.gif

[This message has been edited by Lucutus (edited 14-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I have to agree with that helpful track-by-track analysis...

Well put, Luc!

Bard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭frood4t2

While nothing sticks out to me on Amnesiac like stuff did on Kid A, i think it is more rounded and consistent...and not quite as experimental. All in all, i consider the radiohead i have (those aforementioned and ok computer) to be great background music while im doing other stuff. It's groovy stuff.

frood4t2

frood4t2
    3stooges@mags.net

Advertisement