Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distilled Water

Options
  • 07-12-2004 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Ok whats the deal with distilled water and where do i get it?
    I'm leak testing my watercooling with normal water but somewhere it mentions Distilled water?
    Whats the difference?

P.S if it refers to limescale or something i dont have that in my water.
    Its amazingly soft. Had the same kettle for 8 yrs and no limescale

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

As far as I know, distilled water is closer to pure H2o (which doesn't conduct electricity).
    So in the event of a leak all over your PC innards, there'd be less chance of destroying components.
    Although I may be talking complete bollocks here, so don't take my word for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭The Dr00g

Distilled water is just normal water vapour (steam :p) condensed back into liquid form. So you can make your own with a pot of boiling water and a lid or two... The water that collects on the lid/s is distilled water. Let a good bit build up on the lid and then pour it off into a clean (steamed) glass container.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

I know you can certainly but purified water (laboratory purified) in the a chemist. I got some in a 2 or 3 litre bottle for medical purposes. I just remember because it said it was made in a laboratory in Mayo :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

Distilled Water is used in car batteries so you should be able to get it quite cheaply at a garage. I'd try the Advance or Kwik Fit type of garage tho, not the Esso type. :D

Distilled water has less salts in it so it doesnt conduct electricity as well as water and it'll be kinder to your water cooling system.

edit:
    I know you can certainly but purified water (laboratory purified) in the a chemist. I got some in a 2 or 3 litre bottle for medical purposes. I just remember because it said it was made in a laboratory in Mayo

This is probably a bettter option if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

What daveJAM said, basically there's less minerals in the water like there is in tap water so it's less likely to conduct. Also your less likely to have algae growing in your pipes after a few weeks just make sure and get some additives such as Zerex, Water Wetter or Purple Ice they will help reduce the temps in your system and keep algae away. Distilled water is actually quite corrosive so don't forget the additives or this will happen to your pumps :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Thanks all for the help.
    So does anyone know where i can get both in one go?

I got a 5 liter bottle of Distilled water in a motor factors on cable street in Dublin but any motor factors should have some. I got a bottle of Zerex from here I've heard a couple of times that Zerex is the best. I'm not sure where you would find some offline though so that may not be any help to you.

Well what exactly do i need?
    Distilled Water, Anti Algae or something, and some other stuff??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

The Dr00g wrote:
    Distilled water is just normal water vapour (steam :p) condensed back into liquid form. So you can make your own with a pot of boiling water and a lid or two... The water that collects on the lid/s is distilled water. Let a good bit build up on the lid and then pour it off into a clean (steamed) glass container.

I always thought that was called 'condensed' Water.
    I always said about the difference, to try and drink Distilled water and see how you feel.
    As far as I know, Distilled water is moreless pure H20, meaning there are no type of bacteria, minerals etc. in it which could cause corrision or algi buildup, that why it is used for Car batteries and adviseable for Waterpumps, as it won't bugger the system up.

Also I agree with the lower conductivity.

I could be wrong, but that is my info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Well okay here is the better definition, so we were moreless both right, hehe

Water which has been cleansed by passing through one or more evaporation-condensation cycles until it contains a very low amount of dissolved solids (usually less than 5.0 ppm TDS).

• Advertisement

Just distilled water and an additive like the Zerex or Purple Ice that's half way down this page.

And Distilled water _ALONE_ will bugger your system.

Also here's a brillian begginers guide which might help you out, depending on what kind of kit you went for. There's a beginners guide to the theory of watercooling on that forum too somewhere which would be worth reading too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

i just went to a petrol station...67p for a 500ml bottle of "distilled" or "de-ionised" water..it said both on the bottle, slapped some..er cant remember the name of the stuff im usi..oh water wetter!..little capful of that and everything seems fine after..well must be 3 months now

Viper u just went to a normal petrol station?
    Thanks a lot all! Most appreciated...
    Ill get the distilled water asap and hopefully have a system by the time the other stuff arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

yes m8 next to the antifreeze and stuff some bottles of distilled water

and GL with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Yep got it in my local chemist like people above, only had a 5litre bottle, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭The Dr00g

Gilgamesh wrote:
    Well okay here is the better definition, so we were moreless both right, hehe

Water which has been cleansed by passing through one or more evaporation-condensation cycles until it contains a very low amount of dissolved solids (usually less than 5.0 ppm TDS).

Yup, that's about it... Mostly just pure H2o gets vaporised and it condenses on the nearest cool surface (the pot lid), leaving all the minerals and sh1t in the pot. You'll see the same thing in action when you brew poteen - Those curly copper pipes coming off the boiler tank are the condensers. :p

Also, this is why you're not supposed to leave previously boiled water in your kettle, because the mineral build up is very bad for you. It also makes your tea/coffee taste crap. Just for the record, I always use fresh filtered water for tea/coffee, and even boiling veg. Did you ever notice that layer of "scum" floating on the top of your cuppa? Try filtered water instead and you'll see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Isn't there some stuff you can fill your watercooling system up with that is completely non-conductive, I can't remember the name though

yep its http://www.inertx.com/intro.htmlalso there are other ones too, called xp or somethin, cant remeber where i saw it, there are a few liquids that are non conductive

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Another source of ion free water - dehumidifier, best to boil it first.

Pity that CFC's are banned and transformer oil attacks capacitors else you could just go for total immersion.

http://www.growingedge.com/community/archive/read.php3?c=ED&q=1205
    Distilled water is created by boiling water, which releases steam. This steam is then condensed, forming liquid water that is collected in a clean container. This process not only produces pure water since any minerals or other substances in the water are left behind, but also the heat sterilizes the water so that live fungal and bacterial pathogens are not present in the distilled water.

A dehumidifier works by simply condensing water from the air (from the water vapor that is present in household air) and collecting it. Since this does not involve boiling the water, the water is not sterilized. In fact, older dehumidifiers, which may not have been cleaned out, can feature many fungal spores in the equipment and in the water that is collected (since fungal spores are naturally found in damp air anyway).

So, while the water collected in the dehumidifier may not contain problematic minerals and chemicals, such as sodium or chlorine, that might be in your town water supply, it can contain high levels of microbial contamination and it not suitable for drinking or for hydroponic systems--unless it is boiled first.

• Advertisement

u can totally immerse your hardware in the inertex liquid i mentioned earlier

Advertisement