Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Seen New UTV Internet Advert?

Options
  • 07-12-2004 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

UTV Internet are now running an advertising campaign focused on 100% broadband availability throughout Northern Ireland - this at the same time as Eircom are boasting about 100,000 lines.

I hope the ad appears on Christmas Day when Eircom Executives, Regulators and Government Ministers are sitting down to dinner and gives them all well deserved indigestion :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes I'm sure it is 100% exchanges, not 100% people :-)

But Eircom's claim is misleading as they count wholesale resale users as well as their own.

Very, very few places have non-Eircom DSLAMs. Raheen in Limerick is on eof the few.

Anyone know how many wireless BB connects there are? Even Eircom surely doesn't include them.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

watty wrote:
    The ad comes across as 100% people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

watty wrote:

But Eircom's claim is misleading as they count wholesale resale users as well as their own.

Very, very few places have non-Eircom DSLAMs. Raheen in Limerick is on eof the few.

Anyone know how many wireless BB connects there are? Even Eircom surely doesn't include them.

nope , 100% of lines...

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Eircom as a PLC are going to enable exchanges and lines that will provide the most revenue first as would any sane company, why would they bother enabling lines and exchanges were the takeup would be minimal and the cost per user would be very high. Why would IrelandOffline not setup a company to provide broadband to all areas not covered by any current means of broadband and run it at a loss and then the whole situation might be a bit clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

There is supposed to be 100% availability of broadband in the north. But its not all fixed line, but AFAIR BT are very close to 100% of lines of in the north are DSL enabled/compatible.

Eircom are a joke in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

UTV Internet are clearly saying they can supply broadband to everyone. The Advertising Standards people in the North are much stricter than in the South so I'd be surprised if UTV Internet were making a claim they can't stand over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

100% of people with a BT telephone line:

Details
    ...All exchanges within Northern Ireland will be upgraded to supply broadband services by the 22nd February 2005. The broadband service is guaranteed to be at least 512k...
    If a customer is too far from the exchange and the line length is to long to effectively carry the DSL signal... further line tests are carried out and if still unresolved an engineer visit is scheduled to determine the problem
    If all attempts to provide a 512k broadband service over the telephone line fail then ... the order will be progressed and an alternative solution provided before the end of 2005 at the same price as the standard DSL service.
    Y'know, on Newstalk, David McRedmond was browned off with people (us and others) talking down BB in Ireland when eircom announced their 100k wholesale BB customer figures, but if people are comparing incumbents on the same bloody island what else are they to think!!!

Viking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

TCP/IP wrote:
    Eircom as a PLC are going to enable exchanges and lines that will provide the most revenue first as would any sane company, why would they bother enabling lines and exchanges were the takeup would be minimal and the cost per user would be very high.
    Therefore, do you feel that BT are insane for enabling all lines and exchanges in the North? There must be a business case for it so...?

There is, LLU is coming and Ofcom will force BT to open their exchanges at a more realistic price level and with smoother internal LLU processes which will mean loads more competition. By BT enabling all the exchanges now and signing up as many customers (even wholesale/reseller ones) as possible before LLU kicks in means that there are very few new BB LLU customers for the competitors.

Quite sane really... :)

Viking

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Also, BT use a more advanced DSL technology that allows the DSL to go furthur that €ircon's. They will also fix lines that fail and not fob you off with the usual crap €ircon do. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Northern Ireland has the same population densitys as Ireland so if they can do it, so can we, IF we had a more progressive and co-operative Telco.

Advertisement