Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December BSOP Surprise

Options
  • 07-12-2004 10:50am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Now we all know that some apathy has set in regarding the BSOP and the monthly numbers - and subsequently the prize pool - has suffered. Now the December event in the Fitz (12/12 4:30pm) could suffer the same fate - despite the great spot prizes that Special Days has given us.

A suggestion was given to me last night to make available a 10th seat in the grand final in January. This seat would be won via a freezeout on Sunday while the Monthly final was being played. Something on the lines of a one table satellite with the winner getting the seat - although if their was enough interest it could run to a two table satellite.

Now this 10th seat will be made available primarily to boost the prize pool so there will be a charge to enter. Only players who have competed in a previous BSOP month can take part - so there will be no Jonny come Lately taking the seat.

Obviously before I agree to this I need to ensure that it is not going to create a negitive reaction to you guys.

Only previous BSOP players can vote

This is a public poll - your vote is visible - this is to ensure that only BSOP players' votes are counted.

Hyzepher

Should there be a 10th seat available? 16 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    DeVorekarlhWookieKrusty_ClownWaylanderevilliveEdserDapperGentLafortezzakenclearyCorben DallasHyzepherhenbanegerireIagotricky D 16 votes

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No
    If its on at the same time as the monthly final arent you going to get people who get to the final but cant possibly get enough points to get a ticket, preferring to play the Freezeout for the 10th ticket?

Also, the person who comes 10th in the points standings is going to feel a bit fooked over arent they? I mean, there IS a 10th place at the grand final but rather then give it to the person who slogged through the heats and finals, someone got it for a single game?

Overall I think its a good idea but there are things to think about.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

No
    Some good points there Dev. Will there be any additional funding for the prize pool at all? Won't the participants in this freeze-out just be players who would otherwise have been playing in the December BSOP final, who see this is a better opportunity to hit the final, then trying their luck with the BSOP qualifier game?

I'm voting yes, because I play the BSOP for the entertainment value.
    Why not run it at a seperate time (maybe directly after the BSOP).. Kind of like the last shot at getting into the final? Then you get the additional money for the prize pool, and everyone has two shots at making the final..

(Maybe you meant this anyway?!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

No
    The main reason why it would take place at the same time as the monthly final is due to time constraint. If we had to wait until after the final we would be running well into the Fitz €20 game.

I had initially wanted to have it completed that night - so that we could maximise the numbers who might enter. But on reflection it might be a better idea to have it before the Grand Final in January and be contested by players ranked 10 -18.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

No
    Hyzepher wrote:
    But on reflection it might be a better idea to have it before the Grand Final in January and be contested by players ranked 10 -18.

Thats a much better idea can we vote for that instead?

No
    Well the vote is purely on whether there should be a 10th table

Hyzepher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

No
    Hyzepher wrote:
    I had initially wanted to have it completed that night - so that we could maximise the numbers who might enter. But on reflection it might be a better idea to have it before the Grand Final in January and be contested by players ranked 10 -18.
    This gets my vote in preference to it being run for all players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

No
    I am with Ken, I think the 10-18th place playoff is a fair idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

No
    It's a good idea to run it for the guys finishing 10th to 18th, I presume that if any of them decides they don't want to play in the satellite the option will go to the next player in line..

good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

No
    10th-18th sounds fairer, good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

No
    having a playoff for seat 10
    from places 10 - 18 is fine with me

but a decision should be made before the december game

and in the event of a tie for 9th and someone being placed 10th on a countback of final appearances/placings then that person should get the seat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

No
    Iago wrote:
    It's a good idea to run it for the guys finishing 10th to 18th, I presume that if any of them decides they don't want to play in the satellite the option will go to the next player in line..
    good idea
    This gets my vote also.

How is the BSOP December heats going to be run? I'd be surprised if we got more than 15/16 players turning up... 2 tables of 8 then the final 9 play the Monthly Dec final as normal?

No
    There will be 3 tables at least - 3 from each going to the monthy final.

No
    OK, this is how it is going to go down.

This sunday we have the December heats & final in the fitz (4:30pm). POints will be awarded as usual and there will be spot prizes of cards etc from Special Days - some worth €40.

The January grand final will consists of the top 9 players plus a 10th player who will win their seat via a single table satellite which will be run one the day of the final.

The 9 players to make up this satellite will be decided by their points placing starting from position 10 on the leaderboard. There will be a fee to take part and each player from position 10 will be given the choice to partake until we have 9 willing players.

The final will pay out the top 3 - I am hoping for a 1st prize near the 1000 mark but this will depend on the December turnout and whether we get 9 for the satellite.

So, at this point it is possible that anyone on the ladder can make the final either immediately via the first 9 method or by finishing between 10th - 18th position and playing in the satellite.

Hope to see everyone on Sunday for the final heats.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

No
    Hyzepher wrote:
    OK, this is how it is going to go down.

The 9 players to make up this satellite will be decided by their points placing starting from position 10 on the leaderboard. There will be a fee to take part and each player from position 10 will be given the choice to partake until we have 9 willing players.
    Hyzepher
    Roughly, how much will this fee be? I'll have to work out the EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

No
    lafortezza wrote:
    Roughly, how much will this fee be? I'll have to work out the EV.
    If you're playing the cards it's negative.

Advertisement