Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave Questions

• 07-12-2004 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi there..again I had no alternative to broadband except Ripwave. I got it yesterday and find it slow, even during the day.

My question is:

1. How do i find out exactly what speed I am getting? Is there some web tool that will tell me this? It seems no faster than dial up at the moment.

2. The signal indicator light is steady red all the time. Does this colour change if you get a better signal..i.e does it go to steady amber/green??

Many Thanks for any help!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

1. Think best way is just to download a big file from a decent site, it will tell you your download speed. try www.download.com

2. The LED goes Red -> Orange -> Green. However, i've never had green. my connection flicks between red and orange.

In more or less the same boat as you. I usually get speed marginally above dial-up, and only rarely speeds > 20 KB/s. but like you Ripwave is my only option. Tech support is a joke. I won't even bother ringing them. Nothing good has ever come from it, I'm usually told to like or leave it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

go to some "good" website and download a large file, thats the best way to see what max speed you are getting.
    You can also use www.netlimiter.com for a while to keep track of D/L speeds.
    Try and move the modem until you get a steady amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Thanks a million. I moved the modem til I got a steady amber and its marginally better..not much though! Will also try Netlimiter.
    cheers

what are your pings like?

c:\ping -n 20 boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

I need to buy an extra long etehernet cable to facilitate all this moving about of Ripwave Modem...

Firstly, what's the diff between a Straight cable and a cross over one ??

And secondly, is there a wireless solution to this??

Cheers
    D

• Advertisement

Greebo..how good/bad is this??

Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=124ms TTL=61
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=128ms TTL=61
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=128ms TTL=61
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=61
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=108ms TTL=61
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=112ms TTL=61
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=112ms TTL=61
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=123ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.130:
    Packets: Sent = 17, Received = 16, Lost = 1 (5% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 108ms, Maximum = 229ms, Average = 129ms
    Control-Break
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=97ms TTL=61
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=107ms TTL=61
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=97ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.130:
    Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 19, Lost = 1 (5% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 97ms, Maximum = 229ms, Average = 124ms

Punchbowl wrote:
    I need to buy an extra long etehernet cable to facilitate all this moving about of Ripwave Modem...

Firstly, what's the diff between a Straight cable and a cross over one ??

And secondly, is there a wireless solution to this??

Cheers
    D
    a straight one is just a pure extension cable, a crossover cable is where the two plugs would have a mirror image of each other (so, the live and neutral would have swapped for example)
    some routers need them, though I think nowadays its pretty rare?

loup wrote:
    Greebo..how good/bad is this??
    Yep thats pretty much as good as you are going to get from Ripwave, the dropped packets might be a bit of a concern, Id do another ping, maybe for 100 iterations and see what the packet loss was like.
    When you say it feels slow what do you mean?

I originally had th ebod standard NTL in my old house and since moving my only option was Ripwave. By slow I mean internet pages take a while to load. I know that scertain sites are busy all day eg Hotmail, but other pages still taking a while to load.
    I know the contention ratio with NTL was lower but I feel the speed of Ripwave during the day is still not much quicker than my parents UTV dialup!

Sorry typed too quick..I should have said 'the bog standard NTL in my old house.'

• Advertisement

it should be faster than dial up, but it will not be the same as Breeze or any of the fixed line solutions.
    Put it this way, you will be able to open "more" webpages and they will all open at the same speed, i.e. you have a bigger bandwidth.
    I found that until I went back to dial up I had forgotten how slow it really was.
    Try a direct compare and see...

Advertisement