Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get ntl bb next week what wireless gear do i need?

• 07-12-2004 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry im a complete networking noob! we are gettin ntl bb next week and my sister has a wireless enabled lappy, added to the fact i dont want her near my pc id like the have the bb wireless

so basically i need a wireless modem and a wireless pci card for myself?

what is the cheapest and cheerfullest? getting a 1,5mb connection if that helps

also her uni is wireless enabled will she have any trouble having two wirelelss configs?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

could u give me a brief overview of how that works, im confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cyrus wrote:
    what is the cheapest and cheerfullest? getting a 1,5mb connection if that helps
    At the moment there are two standards of wireless equipment available:
    802.11b - This is 11Mbit networking equipment. It's older, so has more support and is cheaper, but is all but obsolete at this stage.
    802.11g - This is 54Mbit networking equipment. It's newer, so is more expensive.

What you want is a Cable router. Be careful, as some routers only do DSL, some only do Cable, and some do both. A DSL router would be no use to you.
    This one is an example of what you want.

You will also need, as you say a Wirelss PCI card. Most people recommend buying a Card and Router from the same manufacturer, but personally, I've had no problems.

When I say "support", I'm really only talking about running anything but Windows. If you run Windows, support isn't really an issue. I'd advise going with 802.11g equipment (usually termed "Wireless G" :rolleyes: by the manufacturers), as it future proofs you better if you decide to add more machines or start filesharing between the machines. It's rapidly dropping in price anyway, as it's ageing very quickly.

For cheap and cheerful stuff, I'd advise checking out Belkin's wireless gear. It's about the cheapest gear you'll get out there, is as reliable as you want, and is pretty much aimed at networking novices.
    also her uni is wireless enabled will she have any trouble having two wirelelss configs?
    Windows should automatically detect which network is in range and use the settings for that network. I've never tested/used this feature in Windows, so I don't know how reliable it is.

preciate that thanks

so a router and card shouldnt be too tricky :D

I havent a clue how the whole electricity circuit/LAN works.Ya just plug on end into the ethernet and the other into the power socket in the wall and ya can connect computers through the house like that.

• Advertisement

do you use it yourself?

No. I read about it on slashdot.org a while ago but didnt think it was actually comercially available yet. I only came across that site this mornig after i read your post. I'm thinking of gettting a couple of them over the Christmas holidays.

[edit]
    HAHA all my hard earned rep is gone

Rep points R.I.P.(beginning of admin insanity - end of admin insanity)
    [/edit]

Advertisement