Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuban beat

Options
  • 08-04-2001 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Ok, hoping against hope on this one: Recently the manic street preachers released their album and had a concert in Cuba; now to show this Channel 4 had a documentary on them "our manics in havana" or something. I'm not looking for the manic music, but instead I'm looking for the song they played during the advertisements for the documentary about 3 weeks ago, and also during the actual show.

I'm presuming it was cuban; since it was topical to the documentary - it had some deep and funky beat, again cuban style. Dunno if this will trigger anyones memory. But failing that can anyone suggest some bands which do a good cuban beat anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

not what you are looking for i know but Ali Hassan Kuban Kicks World Music Butt its Eygptian/Cuban fusion with a beat that could outstrip any drum machine on the planet.

Also Try the latin Brothers from colombia

I bought some compilation cuban music recently hoping to find some class acts and was very disappointed.

oh well in case of emergency recomend... The Gypsy Kings

Tito Puente...how could i forget to recomend it...play it while cruising around in an old battered sierra with the windows open and you'll feel like you have steped out of the opening scenes from carlitos way.
    Vaya Con Dios.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

I'm told Buena vist social club is good cuban music, but I'm fairly certain its not what I'm looking for; maybe it will turn out to be the Cuban music you were looking for Clinton.

you could try the new carlos santana albumn theres a couple of tracks on there that fit the bill but your best bet is to post something on the Channel Four Board some one the will know what it is your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Greenbean:
    I'm told Buena vist social club is good cuban music, but I'm fairly certain its not what I'm looking for; maybe it will turn out to be the Cuban music you were looking for Clinton.</font>

Buena Vista Social Club is just a group effort from great Cuban stars such as Ibrahim Ferrer, Ruben Gonzalez, Julio Fernandez etc. I think it's great chillout music when youre really dusted, still.

btw, is anyone going to see Buena Vista Social Club on 5th May in Smithfield?

adnans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

I have Buena Vista Social Club and two Ruben Gonzalez albumns by him.
    there all very good well worth getting.

Coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Ok, note this post is several months old, but is relevant due to the reshowing of that documentary again a day or two back. Since I posted this I realised I actually had the song already - its the very very start of a song which goes on to sound relatively unsimilar in the middle.

It turned out to be my favourite Cuban band, Up Bustle & Out, which I've been listening to alot over the last year and a half. The style is original cuban style music of the highest degree mixed in with some dancy samples and deep beats from a drum machine. Think Air mixed with Beuna vista social club with a lively but rational use of drum machines or perhaps this quote is better

"the ensuing long recording hours were liberally spiced with chugging rhythms, sweat, dark rum, colours."

On further research I found out it wasn't a band at all, but more a collection of recordings done from cuban musicians by a guy (whos name I can't remember).

The main website is
    "http://www.upbustleandout.co.uk/site_index.htm&quot;
    With "http://www.ninjatune.net/&quot; being their publishers/label or something - I must check out some of the other bands under that label.

Anyway up bustle & out is no longer being done as a live set, its been around a while at this stage, but they still do dj sets with a rather close one coming up with funky porcini soon. Two birds with one stone I think.

Fri 10.8.01
    S. IRELAND
    DUBLIN, The Shelter
    FUNKI PORCINI & UP, BUSTLE & OUT (DJ set)

I recommend listening to "hip hop barrio", its the most immediately likeable imo. Move on from there. Oh and that song I was talking about - carbine 744 520 che guevera

Advertisement