Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brrr I'm, Cold...NO I'M NOT! YOU ARE!-Tips for dealing with bitter Irish Winter

• 07-12-2004 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

If you're outside a lot, wear a decent pair of snowboarding pants. These are so warm and comfortable even in extreme, cold, wet and wind. You can get them at a reasonable price in TK Maxx. You can get pairs that look like a nice pair of tracksuit bottoms.

Otherwise wear pyjama bottoms under your jeans.

90% of lost body heat goes out through the top of your head. Make sure you have a decent hat!

A few light layers of clothes provides better insulation than a couple of bulky layers.

Windchill is a big contributor to making you cold in Ireland. Get a jacket that is fairly windproof. A decent snowboading jacket, leather jacket, or raincoat will make a huge difference.

Don;t go out in the cold on an empty stomach! This will make you get very cold very easily.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Wear wellies, so if you feeet get cold u can piss into them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

also. wear a wetsuit under your clothes and wee into it :)

/edit
    good thinking, meditraitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭ED-209

I'm off to Bavaria for christmas. It can get to -20c there sometimes.

Now that's fu*king cold.

I think we have it easy in Ireland when it comes to the winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

I've a simpler solution. Stay at home and sit beside the fire for the whole season! You'll be nice and warm and comfy with no bother whatsoever! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

turn on the heating

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I've a simpler solution. Stay at home and sit beside the fire for the whole season! You'll be nice and warm and comfy with no bother whatsoever! :D
    yeah. you could even wee into a basin and warm your feet in that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

LOL.......but wont you look like a prat?.....Unless your on farm or something now!

HAHA designer wellies!

Trigger! wrote:
    LOL.......but wont you look like a prat?.....Unless your on farm or something now!

HAHA designer wellies!

Once the sheeps hind legs come out of the wellies the feet get cold pretty quick, worry about appearences later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

Which winter ? Winter in Ireland in general is a joke. Not really cold at all.

You should live on the continent in December, January, February, and you will never complain anymore. TBH, I don`t like it too cold, but especially around Christmas I miss the bitter cold, going after work onto a christmas market, have a "gluehwein" and something nice to eat, and just to take in the nice atmosphere. Even better when there is snow.

BTW, I am still wearing short sleeve shirts in the office and outside. :D

dsab wrote:
    Which winter ? Winter in Ireland in general is a joke. Not really cold at all.

You should live on the continent in December, January, February, and you will never complain anymore. TBH, I don`t like it too cold, but especially around Christmas I miss the bitter cold, going after work onto a christmas market, have a "gluehwein" and something nice to eat, and just to take in the nice atmosphere. Even better when there is snow.

BTW, I am still wearing short sleeve shirts in the office and outside. :D

You should have felt the cold cold this morning bucko, i was out in the back field sniggin turnips at 7 o clock, still have chillblanes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭ED-209

tman wrote:
    yeah. you could even wee into a basin and warm your feet in that!

What's with the wee thing Tman ???

You have "issues" !!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pffts, wimps.

Driving a bike makes you hardy in the Irish winter. I walk around in T-shirts when there's ice outside, and people shiver. It's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Are you, and I'm not trying to be rude here, very fat and/or very very hairy, however?

I used to have a bike that made hard too, she moved out a while back though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Coming from a rural background I can't see that catching on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

How many t-shirts though? ;)

Coming from a rural background I can't see that catching on :)

Were getting of the subject boys and girls,,

lovely fleeces in dunnes for 6yoyos, coming from a rural backround yu might appreciate that :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pwd wrote:
    Are you, and I'm not trying to be rude here, very fat and/or very very hairy, however?
    It has more to do with a better tolerance or more likely a desensitisation to the cold. I'd still be as cold as someone else, but I wouldn't react to it as much as they would. Much the same way as I don't react very much to certain types of pain on my skin (burning, stabbing, pinching), I tend not to react to the cold until my testicles have retreated inside me and I can't feel my kneecaps anymore. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

My bro was talking about importing a load of those and selling them at a fraction of the price shown there. Hadn't realised they sold for that much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I know a few producers in China that export them and are quite cheap. PM me if you need more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

If youre a bloke, grow a beard.
    If youre a girl, dont shave your armpits.

Advertisement