Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verdict on Origin of Symmetry?

Options
  • 18-06-2001 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I've been playing Muse's new album pretty much as much as possible over the past few days and I am very impressed indeed. Most of it is heavier than the first album and it has no tracks like Unintended. The band seem more confident and seem to be having more fun. Even though many of the ideas are dark and not exactly happy, the album is fun. You get the impression that they really enjoyed making the album and this reflects in the overall sound, which is a major improvement over their first (excellent) album. The cover of Feeling Good suits Bellamy remarkably well. No bad tracks.

There's a freshness and excitement in the music that sets it apart from most recent rock albums. This is no Hybrid Theory or Infest. It's a classic.

Life is like a pyrotechnics display. You've got to stand back and let it happen, othwerwise you're are sincerely bollocked....

thegreensock.com

Can you feel the love?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Mmm...

Yes, i agree, I can't wait until I can scrounge up enough cash for this album...

It sounds FANTASTIC from what I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

I've tried to stop posting negative comments on bands i don't like of late, but I just couldn't ignore this one.
    I'm sure everybody is sick of the radiohead comparisons after the last album, but really, the pseudo angst thing is getting absolutely ridiculous.
    There was a great comment in the Irish Times last week on how having ripped of the bends on album one, Muse have now moved on to do up OK Computer.
    Although IMO they sound like Placebo with less shrill vocals and slightly less makeup.
    Infact, they're even making coldplay sound good.
    hmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Oh yeah

... I can never recall Radiohead sounding like this.

And as for Placebo - I just don't see the comparisom. Apart from them playing the same instruments, there is much to distinguish them from Placebo. The vocals are completely different (Bellamy is surely shriller than Brian Molko...). As is the guitarism (yes, laugh at the word smile.gif). Where's the makeup on Muse?

The Radiohead comment is touted at every oppertunity by people who don't like Muse. It ****es me off a little bit. This album is some of the best music I've ever heard. "The psuedo-angst thing"... oki, you win on this.

The music is completely over dramatic waffle (often about people Matt Bellamy doesn't like), and on stage the way he behaves is totally ludicrous. It depends how you look at it. There's a lot of showmanship involved in the live shows. It's like a frikkin' play. The weird thing is... it's fun. The riffery (I stole that word from a Kerrang! review) is absolutely marvellous. What can Radiohead show to rival the likes of Fillip or Unintended from the first album, or New Born, or indeed that lovely Feeling Good cover.

And incidentally, I've got nothing against Coldplay. The album's a little on the poppy side, but I actually quite like it.. shoot me.

Life is like a pyrotechnics display. You've got to stand back and let it happen, othwerwise you're are sincerely bollocked....

thegreensock.com

Can you feel the love?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I picked it up the other day for £13 and I'm quite impressed.

I can see where they could be compared to early Placebo stuff, but the most striking thing about Muse is the guitar work - something that not many bands excell at.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Oh yeah

Exactly. This is no JJ72 chord-thrashing ******** (which, by the way, is all well and good in it's own right smile.gif), track 6... yanno, the 7-minute one, can't remember the title, and the album's someplace else... some very nice work right there. One great solo, 'bout halfway through if I recall correctly...

thegreensock.com

Can you feel the love?

• Advertisement
Advertisement