Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rep is gone!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Scruff wrote:
    too right, there seemed to be a nice little club of people who had like 7+ green apples and it was all the same names and er, avatars who were moderators and the like. oldie members as well. oh yeah, i was watching ye's alright...oh your so great heres some rep, oh thank you heres some for you for giving some to me..oh look theres one of the old boy posting, i say lets rep him!

Except that people who were long time registered + moderators automatically got bonus points to their apples and protects them against negative apples. Thats why they were so high. I think I ended out on 1750'ish. About 500 of that was rep whoring (to prove a point a while back), the rest was just general rep points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've decided I'm turning on my own karma system. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Praetorian wrote:
    I've decided I'm turning on my own karma system. :D
    Please God make it stop :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

omg this is a dark day indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

PiE wrote:
    The amount of people I'd never heard of on these boards strutting around with like... 8 green things was truly shocking.

I'll have to agree there, i thought the rep idea was good but it was abused. What was really good was as many people have said here that people could give you feedback quick and easily.

I think that there's more people for rep than against.

But you can't please everyone....so its in the hands of our benevolent rulers

Farlz

Don't ya just love a dictatorship! hehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Should we have a five minute of no posting for our tragic loss (and there should be a fourm for mourning)

Oh wel, can say what I want now with no fear of neg rep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I liked the rep system, shame it wasn't implemented better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I for one thought the rep system was good... why should we get rid of it because a bunch of muppets were abusing it....

the rule should have been, abuse = 1 week ban. That would sort out the karma whoring pretty quickly...

I for one was proud of my 3 little green dots... It was only yesterday that i progressed from 2 to 3 dots. None of this was whoring as karma is a great idea and shouldn't be abused as it was...

I think it actually gave a good indication to the reputation of the poster. Now muppets have the same look in their details bar as a reputable poster...

The idea that someone could comment on your post and you could see it in your user cp was a great idea... Even if the green dots are not turned back on, the messages that could be left about your posts should be brought back... it was a great feature...

I for one am sorry to see it go...

TO THE POWERS THAT BE.... BRING IT BACK!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

If it had worked usefully, it would have been great. But nay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The important thing is I neg repped syke, and he didn't get moi back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

WHO CARES?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

the rule should have been, abuse = 1 week ban. That would sort out the karma whoring pretty quickly...
    Rep whoring in the open, yes.
    Rep whoring by people who know eachother in IRC and IRL, no.
    It can be done very subtly, giving rep to posts that appear to deserve it no matter what the real motive... any bannings for people who take this approach would be contested and the results would be far worse than a ton of threads moaning about rep.
    Even if the rep system was to be watched so closely, no doubt there'd be a few false positives and pointed fingers causing yet more moaning.
    I think the ideal system would look after itself and be closed to abuse from the get-go... I'm sure the admins have better things to be doing than policing/babysitting the rep system for what may or may not be rep whoring.
    I think the rep system just tipped the scales in "usefulness vs hassle"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

An idea might of been to allow people who have been members for a certain amount of time the ability to actually effect your amount of rep points.

A bit like the way people with lots of rep could do more damage than those with féck all.

I think there should possibly be a poll to see if its wanted or not seeing as everyone seems to be giving it so much attention?

*cours behind tree

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No neg repping , I'll just have to go back to banning people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Ah what a shame, I was starting to like the greenies, and I even had gotten soem good rep, in fact if I'm correct my rep said I was well known here, shame ye did away with it!

I request that it be returned.... with all the greenies we each had too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Just looking at the vbulletin site's documentation regarding rep. Some insight to what the admins can do with repuation in vbulletin:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/

Under 'vBulletin options', there a 'User Reputation' section. Its worth taking a look.

Direct link: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/vboptions_reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If it had worked usefully, it would have been great

The point proven is it can't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Someone please lock this.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

it's Christmas time..there's no need to be afraid...

best christmas everimho..I get out of jail and the fuedal system is gone, There's a wonderful sense of peace flitting across my lovely green isle and that Ecksor chap is a very decent fella.

merry tristmas all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I give this thread:

red%20apple.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The Muppet Says No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It was good to see if someone disagreed with your opinon, or agreed with it. Also for the funny comments:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

merc wrote:
    I dunno.

I reckon we need photo graphic evidence of the actually turing it off before I can believe it!

Whatever you say Big Ian.

Come to think of it, has there been any early releases from prison? Could DeV and Ecksor be up for a Noble Peace Prize? Are thoe my feet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

NOoooooo! My entire social status is ruined.... RUINED FOREVER.

oh wait...

I meant to say "meh"

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

"repz not dead"
    just takin a break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Come to think of it, has there been any early releases from prison?
    Registered Rep Offenders are not eligible for early release, as I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

merc wrote:
    I dunno.

I reckon we need photo graphic evidence of the actually turing it off before I can believe it!

LOL
    greenapple.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Clearly the only reason rep got removes wasn't that it was abused or not, but that admins got bored with the PM's.

That's such an insightful post it derserves rep, so I'm just going to sit here and imagine to myself that all the admins sent me a rep.
    Comments:
    Devore: "Got it in one again. You're the most intelligent man on boards"
    Regi: "Do you have any idea what it was doing to the load balancing?"
    Ecxsor: "One week ban for leaking information about the admins to the feedback board"

and from my esteemed fans:
    Berethuiel: "So what if I had 10,000 apples 60 seconds after the rep system came online? I'M NO REP WHORE"
    Giblet: "I say, jolly good manners should prevail. Let's all be lovely to one another."
    Some Frames muppet: "Teh fraimes are teh win! U R sucky they are better than nervanna and sell more records than elvis u suck"

Advertisement