Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bank/Public Holidays Over the Festive Period

• 07-12-2004 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

So, Xmas Day is a Saturday, and Stephens' Day is a Sunday.

Does this mean that Monday 27th and and Tuesday 28th are Bank/Public Holidays in lieu.

Also, what about New Years Day, does the following Monday count for that too?

Cheers everyone, this is important, I can't seem to find anything online, neither can any of my friends.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭samo

your are correct, but its a grey area as to payment for the monday/tuesday, i'm in battle with HR in my job over this as they dont want to pay me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

We where told in work that they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/employment/holidays_and_leave/annual_leave_public_holidays.html

Public holidays falling on weekends
    While it is clear about the entitlements of employees regarding time off work and public holidays, there is no specific provision in law governing what happens when a public holiday falls on a weekend in Ireland.

Where a public holiday falls on a weekend, you do not have any automatic legal entitlement to have the next working day off work. This will occur over Christmas 2004 where Christmas Day (25th December) and St. Stephen's Day (26th December) fall on a Saturday and Sunday respectively. (New Year's Day 2005 also falls on a Saturday). In these cases, Monday 27th December 2004, Tuesday 28th December 2004 and Monday 3rd January 2005 are not public holidays. Your employer can require you to attend work on those days but you are entitled to the normal arrangements concerning employment and public holidays - that is;

A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
    An additional day of annual leave
    An additional day's pay
    The nearest church holiday to the public holiday as a paid day off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cheers FX Meister, very informative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The government released a statement about this about a week ago in order to clear up all the confusion. It's exactly what the previous poster said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

dudara wrote:
    The government released a statement about this about a week ago in order to clear up all the confusion. It's exactly what the previous poster said.
    yeah I glanced at something about that in the paper the other day, but didn't take it in.
    Any links to this news item?

It would seem to me that every employer in the country will be doing their best to wangle a way out of paying out more than they have to by law, so being armed with the facts before confronting the boss would be a big help.
    For now I'm just gonna go with FX meister's take on it.

[edit] I couldn't give a f**k about the time off, only about being paid for that day and NOT have it count as one of my annual paid leave days...

Advertisement