Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bring back the rep please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭ED-209

Lump wrote:
    YORE MA!!

John

Sorry it had to be done.

Leave my poor mother out of this.

She's probably turning in her grave :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    Good people != People who posted on the rep thread in the cookoo's nest.
    That's just the sour grapes talking :rolleyes:
    Anyone I gave rep to in that thread deserved it for being so jolly... abuse of the rep system? I don't think so.
    And isn't that what its all about?
    If I'm enough of a moron to think "LOL GIMME REP LOL" is a quality post, who are you to tell me I can't give rep for it?
    Must we all conform to your standards of what makes a good post?
    I like to think boards.ie caters for a wide range of psychological makeups.

To bridge this gap, I'd suggest adding more variables than rep alone.
    Think of it as an RPG where users can be awarded not only reputation, but other subjective attributes like charisma, helpfulness, muppetry, troll-rating, persuasiveness, logic, humour, knowledge, crankyness, fight-the-powerness.
    Maybe adding a javascript that lets you roll a set of dice before every post that determines wheater the post should be written in correct English or txt spk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

SantaHoe wrote:
    Anyone I gave rep to in that thread deserved it for being so jolly... abuse of the rep system? I don't think so.
    If I'm enough of a moron to think "LOL GIMME REP LOL" is a quality post, who are you to tell me I can't give rep for it?

To bridge this gap, I'd suggest adding more variables than rep alone.
    Think of it as an RPG where users can be awarded not only reputation, but other subjective attributes like charisma, helpfulness, muppetry, troll-rating, persuasiveness, logic, humour, knowledge, crankyness, fight-the-powerness.
    Maybe adding a javascript that lets you roll a set of dice before every post that determines wheater the post should be written in correct English or txt spk.

green rep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I cast Reputation increase

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

SantaHoe wrote:
    I'm not really anyone to tell you you can't give rep to whom ever you choose. I don't doubt that "LOL GIMME REP LOL" is, in your opinion, a quality post. But I hardly think it's sensable to assume you (or who ever posted on the rep thread) thought that they were all worthy posts. A little too convienient. Also I was referring only to the fact that it's not the best system of identifying the "good people" from the "bad people" if it's "morons" who give out the rep...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭flyinfishmonkey

Here's ONE of the reasons it has been banned AFAIK. It caused bickering and back biting among the sewer rats who used it to slag each other off and now 'tis gone, finnito, kaputz!! Better off without in my opinion.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=207822

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You can please all of the people some of the time...

Also I was referring only to the fact that it's not the best system of identifying the "good people" from the "bad people" if it's "morons" who give out the rep...
    I agree with that point and have made similar points myself, but in fairness when you say "I was referring to" - you seem to be trying to flesh out your original post beyond what it actually was.
    Good people != People who posted on the rep thread in the cookoo's nest.
    To suggest that people who posted in that thread (~231 individual users) are "not equals good" people is just plain wrong in my opinion, it was just some people who either resented the whole reputation system and found it belittling or pointless and decided to have a bit of fun with it, or newbies who naturally enough wanted a leg-up and/or join in the fun.
    It wasn't a refuge for muppets who'd already been marked with red reputation.
    If that thread was bombarded by egocentric muppets I wouldn't have given out any rep. The true egocentrics, troublemakers and up-their-own-arse types didn't touch that thread at all for some reason... go figure.

Unless you mean they're "not equals good" because they somehow brought about the removal of the rep system... I put it to you that the rep system was 'abused' from day 1 and has never been such a great measure of character even before that, now infamous, thread.
    Really though, to what depths of low self-esteem does one have to plummet to whine about the removal of such a frivolous system of approval?
    You people need more huggs or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

I miss my 11 green apple's! :confused:

I also miss the witty comment's people left when giving me rep. :D

X

SantaHoe wrote:
    I agree with that point and have made similar points myself, but in fairness when you say "I was referring to" - you seem to be trying to flesh out your original post beyond what it actually was.

To suggest that people who posted in that thread (~231 individual users) are "not equals good" people is just plain wrong in my opinion, it was just some people who either resented the whole reputation system and found it belittling or pointless and decided to have a bit of fun with it, or newbies who naturally enough wanted a leg-up and/or join in the fun.
    It wasn't a refuge for muppets who'd already been marked with red reputation.
    If that thread was bombarded by egocentric muppets I wouldn't have given out any rep. The true egocentrics, troublemakers and up-their-own-arse types didn't touch that thread at all for some reason... go figure.

Unless you mean they're "not equals good" because they somehow brought about the removal of the rep system... I put it to you that the rep system was 'abused' from day 1 and has never been such a great measure of character even before that, now infamous, thread.
    Really though, to what depths of low self-esteem does one have to plummet to whine about the removal of such a frivolous system of approval?
    You people need more huggs or something.
    Perhaps I could have been clearer on what I meant. What I meat was: Just because one posts on that thread and recieves loads of rep for it doesn't mean one is any more important, decent, upstanding, clever, nice, good, than anyone else. I'm not saying they're not. They could very well be. But a lot of the people with loads of rep only had it because of that thread, and wouldn't have had it otherwise. My "not equals" remark was a direct reply to PH01's question/statment "How the hell are we suppose to know the good people from the bad people now?" I was just pointing out that it wasn't much of a system of routing out the "bad" ones. Not a lot more.

Is that bit about low self esteem and whining about me too? 'Cause I ain't complaining...

• Advertisement

"Ooh but but but what I meant to say was... ooh ooh"
    Well you didn't say it, just admit it and we won't have to go through this.
    Ah I'm just messing with ya, relax :)
    Is that bit about low self esteem and whining about me too? 'Cause I ain't complaining...
    Nope, just a thought about the system in general... some people seemed a bit upset over such a small thing, makes you wonder sometimes.
    I'm not upset either way, I'm just making conversation ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

daveirl wrote:

You are not your postcount! (Although now that rep is gone what do we have to use... ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

you were not your rep count either :)

WizZard wrote:
    You are not your postcount! (Although now that rep is gone what do we have to use... ;))
    Think that's what he's saying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

daveirl wrote:

Quality not quantity! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

DeVore wrote:
    *sigh*

...shakes head...

DeV.

BEHOLD! DEVORE HAS HAD A VISION FROM THE INTERNET! TRULY HE IS A NET VISIONARY!

Also, great work by the admins who explained the reasoning for the removal of a feature a lot of people enjoyed. It's this level of involvment with the board community that makes us feel warm inside. Not for a second do we feel taken for granted! Honestly!

Also good work on getting photopost working and making sure the censor is on for journals.

I'm +repping you all in my head. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

frodi wrote:
    Ok so rep is gone, at least you could post the final scores in the rep whoring contest for those who couldn't check their place before repping was cut in its prime.
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Why the hell is there a thread on this?

I had god knows how many of those green squares, circa 1500 points and I couldn't give a toss that they're gone.

• Advertisement

That charming gentleman is one "Griffith" of "The Band of the Hawk" from the anime series Berserk.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Victor wrote:
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies.
    Or, to borrow a phrase "Dignity plus and empty sack is worth an empty sack..."
    What I liked about rep was seeing the comments, my rep count didnt mean that much to me coz most of it was people bitching about me starting "a rep thread", so I ignored them. The genuine negative rep's I looked at and thought about (as long as I got a comment) and the positive ones I was chuffed about.
    If they can reintroduce a new rep system that is a bit more resiliant to muppets then all well and good, if they cant then we (as a community) will just have to move on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

GreeBo wrote:
    If they can reintroduce a new rep system that is a bit more resiliant to muppets QUOTE]

what he said!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

For the love of god people. They were little green specs on a computer server miles away from where you live.
    In no way did rep validate your existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

$||-><-||$ wrote:
    classic wood for the trees santa, all the up-their-own-arse types were there, but they were so up-their-own-arse that they didn't realise that a) they were stuck up their arse and b) most everyone else in there was too, alot of the ppl shouting about how they were in the top blah blah and turn it back on were hanging around in that thread

How would a newbie like yourself know what the user on that thread were like?

Let me guess, you have been a browser for ages but only joined now to voice your informed opinion on the rep system. Am I warm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

For what it's worth, I quite liked the rep button. I didn't realise it was there for quite a while but I enjoyed getting feedback in a concise form (usually positive but of course some were negative. There's some people here I would hate to be on the same side of an argument with, after all). It's the sort of feedback one would never get via a PM and would clutter up threads quite a lot if people used normal posts to deliver it.

Of course there are going to be a few muppets who abuse the privelege but if you're taking soundings as to whether to restore it or not, please record my vote as being in favour.

$||-><-||$ wrote:
    classic wood for the trees santa, all the up-their-own-arse types were there, but they were so up-their-own-arse that they didn't realise that a) they were stuck up their arse and b) most everyone else in there was too, alot of the ppl shouting about how they were in the top blah blah and turn it back on were hanging around in that thread
    weeh wehh weeh blah blah blah loooky me maw I aer registering with a noo email address so I can teach those boards muppets a lesson lol oke
    The fact that none of your previous troll accounts posted on that thread proves my point I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

i'm quiet glad the rep system is gone. it was pointless and only served to increase conformity among posts as alot of people were so concerned about the dots under their user names that they dared not disagree with the likes of pam or smak or beruthiel (sorry, first names that came to my head) or anyone with loads of green for fear they would receive negative rep.
    threads often descended into such crap as poster a "i'm gonna negative rep you"
    or poster b contributing "wait for the negative repping you're gonna get."
    the rep itself was farcical, (sp?) i never got involved in the rep system because a) i dont post too often and b) i never had much faith in it, but when i saw the cuckoo thread i decided to see how many people really were repping just for the sake of repping. within a couple of days i had amassed circa 400 points without providing any real contributions to any threads. i'm just suprised the rep system lasted as long as it did

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

You have to of been a part of that thread as you +repped me a week ago for nothing but that thread and looking at my list I +repped you back a week ago.

X

• Advertisement

Xcom2 wrote:
    You have to of been a part of that thread as you +repped me a week ago for nothing but that thread and looking at my list I +repped you back a week ago.

X
    ...isn't that what Shaque Attack said?

Advertisement