Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoW PvP - A paladins tale

Options
  • 07-12-2004 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Well, my server is down AGAIN... so just thoguht I'd give you guys some idea of what PvP in WoW is like. :)

I'm level 36 now and while this isn't uber compared to some other people its pretty highish on my server.

So there I am as a paladin, running around the hillsbrad foothills happily killing evil cave yeti's for their fur so that a kind villager in South Shore village can make me a nice cloak to wear on those cold cold trips up into the alterac mountains. Turning around I spot a red name in the distance. Red, Red means enemy, red means horde! I cannot tell yet what the class/race is. I turn and charge towards him. There is a good deal of distance between us.. I know he has seen me, I don't want him running away, as the vile undead often do the moment they see a guardian of the light! I swallow my swiftness potion quickly that my good friend Suunto made for me, it gives me a burst of speed, I close down the distance within seconds, its a rogue, lvl 31, I've just hit 36, this will be a piece of cake. I start to attack him, get one hit, before I notice he is not alone! The rogue is healed, and I find myself shadow-worded.. in pain.. my hp starts to trick down. There was an undead Shadow priest hiding near by!!! These guys are strong, very strong in small PvP encounters, and they are a defensive tank's worst nightmare, oh crap.

Then things started happening very quickly, I switch targets, going for the priest, I gotta bring this guy done, the priest is running around trying to kite me, somehow I've picked up a stupid grey con bear and lion's aggro in chasing the priest and now I have this rogue + these 2 hitting me. My hp whittles down fast and I haven't really done much to the priest yet, i've only just approached him. I turn on divine shield, yes invulnerable. I cast my holy light spell to heal myself back to full. The divine shield wears off, I'm still chasing the priest, who is constantly nuking me, the rogue is still at my back, and fully healed up now. The priest has his shield up, its absorbing my hits, i'm still being pounded on by 4 guys. This continues for a few seconds, the priest's mana is almost drained, but so is my hp, ****!!! Quickly, F1 (select self) 9 (quickslot for blessing of protection). I'm now invulnerable to PHYSICAL damage for 6 seconds. Which is fine since the priest is out of mana now and can't nuke me. I heal up once again, now my mana is getting dangerously low. The priest however has regened some mana, and heals himself, i'm still being pounded on by 3 guys and out of mana. But so is the priest, and his instas are gone, he has eaten a pot already and can't for another two minutes (but neither can i, remember my stupid swiftness potion earlier on? ). He has also been bandaged by the rogue already, and can't be again.

Okay I've no choice left, both my invuln's are used up, my mana is gone, I can't take a pot, my hp is fast whittling down, its time for the mother of all spells, my ultimate on a 60 minute timer. LAY ON HANDS. My HP is instantly restored to full and i regain 250 mana. Right now the rogue and priest collectively go OH ****. Because they thought they had me dead. I use my mana to cast hammer of justice, the priest is stunned, frozen for 4 seconds. I lay waste to him with my sword, the stun wears off and he tries to run, but there is no escape. I beat him down, still 2 mobs and the rogue at my back whittling down my hp very fast. He dies, i have very little hp left i start to run. The aggro stops chasing me but the rogue is still there, I have regened mana but can't stop to cast a heal, because my HP IS THAT LOW that the rogue with a lucky crit or two would kill me before I could finish casting the heal!

but its okay, my POT timer is gone, 2 minutes have just passed since I last took a pot. I swallow a Health pot, now at almost 1/3rd health. I breathe a sigh of relief, and stop , stand still to cast a heal on myself. The rogue is there but i don't care. The heal is cast my health is repleneshed though my mana is kinda low, but I don't care. I turn aroudn to face the rogue.

Just you and me buddy! Just you and me!

The rogue attacks me, and I laugh as he tries to scratch my armor. Without the shadow priest and two more lowbie mobs to aid him, his damage upon my armor is pitiful, where as I am ripping into him. He starts to run at abuot half his hp left, figuring he can use his race special to escape.. too late brother, you shoulda ran when I was molesting the priest. He hits will of the undead, which gives him a nice speed boost to allow him to escape. But it doesn't matter, my hammer of justice 1 minute cooldown is up, and just as he starts to pull away I cast it, he is stunned. 4 seconds of free hits for me! He dies a second after the stun wears off.

I /bow and get out of there before more reinforcements arrive!

A few things I noted from this fight. WTF? two level 31's nearly owned me? I must suck!!! But then I AM a defensive tank, and atleast when I'm PvEing I can hit stuff 4-5 levels higher than me OK without significant damage reduction, the only problem is that I tend to miss more.

The rogue was constantly critting me since I had my back to him most of the time while i was bashing the priest.

Not having any ability to increase my move speed other than through potions is my biggest achilees heel.

The one great thing to come out of this however was that I realised just how damned hard to kill I am. I'm like terminator. They kept beating the crap outta me but I kept coming for more!

The downside is newbs all over the forum are whining about how pallies are overpowered and i'm likely to get nerfed soon *ugh*. I don't think i'm overpowered at all! A level 36 shadowpriest there would have torn me apart.

Well hope you all enjoyed reading that. I'll definately be posting more insights as I progress through the game :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Thanks for that, my copy arrives tommorow and I should be on playing... which server are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

4 of us are on Eradar alliance which is an Eastern PvP server :)

my in game name is Klazzie. Send us a tell if u join :)

Will do cheers.

Any problems with language with regard to it being an eastern server? or are these the US ones?

US eastern :)

have u ordered a US copy or are u waiting for the pre-order beta?

Got my copy from the US. I didnt make it into the beta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭joe90

Great story keep us posted on how you are doing.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Memnoch wrote:
    The downside is newbs all over the forum are whining about how pallies are overpowered and i'm likely to get nerfed soon *ugh*. I don't think i'm overpowered at all! A level 36 shadowpriest there would have torn me apart.

Nice story and all but i play Alliance and Pally's definitely ARE overpowered :)
    I play with them constantly and they're nigh on impossible to kill, I'm a 34 shadow priest and have serious trouble dueling pallies of a significantly lower level, I've stacked myself full on int items and barely have enough mana to take down one of his life bars never mind the THREE he has once an hour by using lay of hands. It's nice and all playing alongside them in PvP seeing as they're so good, but a few 31's should dick on you no matter what class if played right, though those guys sound pretty crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

nice story , i enjoyed reading it.

any idea on when the release of the EU servers ? id play the US but id be far behind everyone else

if i bought a copy from amazon would i be able to use my credit card on it ?

Just got my copy today.. and while its updating I though I'd point out.. yes you can use your CC however you will have to use something like an AUS address, dont bother with a USA one as I could get it to work.

I googled for an AUS address and used it :) Worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

Great read, i really enjoyed it :)

Anyway im playing a Human Paladin myself and just turned lvl 34

Im having a blast...

Name is Eldstar and im on the Elune server

ANyone can join up and gime a call, im part of a small helpful guild and we welcome all......

Misty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

My copy will be on the way in a day or so from the states. By the time the 30 day trial is up the EU servers will nearly be out and CC should be easy to sort out by then.

Well im finally in and enoying it. LVL7 so far but getting there.
    On the eradar server by the name of Azrayal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Shazbot wrote:
    nice story , i enjoyed reading it.

any idea on when the release of the EU servers ? id play the US but id be far behind everyone else

if i bought a copy from amazon would i be able to use my credit card on it ?

Just wait for the EU game !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Tusky wrote:
    Just wait for the EU game !
    Yeah, must say I'm definitely intrigued, but I think I'll just wait for the EU servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

enjoy your three month wait ;)

Or you could just join the american servers, you won't be that far behind, in a couple of months it'll all be the same when you staretd pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Hmmz, i stuck in an australian address etc but it knows im not there cos of my credit card number!

Dont suppose theres a way around this? Would prefer not to have to go play the european beta :\

nm it has been fixored ;)

quozl wrote:
    enjoy your three month wait ;)

Or you could just join the american servers, you won't be that far behind, in a couple of months it'll all be the same when you staretd pretty much.
    Ick, 3 months you say?
    Didnt realise it were that far away. I think I might order the US version for christmas, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Shazbot wrote:
    id play the US but id be far behind everyone else

You can get to lvl 20 in about two days if you really try :)

Guys, theres also a sizable contingent of paddies on Warsong (eastern PvP). look for the Sons of Elysium tag :)

I'm now on Eradar server. Name of Shandrakor. Night Elf Druid, Lvl 9 thus far. Ill drop ya a message later on and see if ya about.

• Advertisement

Ivan wrote:
    Ick, 3 months you say?
    Didnt realise it were that far away. I think I might order the US version for christmas, so.

Well the EU open beta will be along shortly and that might keep you entertained no ?

Actually now that mi thinking about it there might be more bloody Irish people on the us servers...I might order the us one too...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

id like to play the us servers but i also want to wait for the EU server..... bit of a dilema :)

anyone else waiting for the EU servers or should i join the other boards members on the US ?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I'm waiting. I've already preordered from Game. €5 plus you get a soundtrack cd and a final beta key (starting in a couple of weeks).

I didn't get the US version because I have xmas exams, so need to actually have time to study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I gave up on waiting for WoW.
    If Blizzard wants to ban europeans from playing on US servers and wait like half a year with releasing the game here, then screw them.

I'm a level 17 warrior on the Oggok server in EQ2.

In all honesty, after having tried both, I think I like EQ2 better anyways.
    Find it unlikely im ever playing WoW though, this whole regional thing got me kinda annoyed.

Also, I think that WoW is going to attract a lot of young players (another word for whiners), whereas EQ2 has a more mature crowd. Since im not in to PvP, I think EQ2 is a better choice.

muffen wrote:
    I gave up on waiting for WoW.
    If Blizzard wants to ban europeans from playing on US servers and wait like half a year with releasing the game here, then screw them.

I'm a level 17 warrior on the Oggok server in EQ2.

In all honesty, after having tried both, I think I like EQ2 better anyways.
    Find it unlikely im ever playing WoW though, this whole regional thing got me kinda annoyed.

Also, I think that WoW is going to attract a lot of young players (another word for whiners), whereas EQ2 has a more mature crowd. Since im not in to PvP, I think EQ2 is a better choice.

I dont think any mmorpg would attract young players no matter how cartoony the graphics..you need to subscribe after all... no PVP in an mmorpg? absolutely ****ing rediculous if you ask me...thats the whole point.

Tusky wrote:
    I dont think any mmorpg would attract young players no matter how cartoony the graphics..you need to subscribe after all... no PVP in an mmorpg? absolutely ****ing rediculous if you ask me...thats the whole point.
    +rep
    Well put.
    But seriously, no PvP?
    roflmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

is it just me or do only a small amount of the population on most servers go horde?
    what servers have a good horde population?

tuxy wrote:
    is it just me or do only a small amount of the population on most servers go horde?

Mal'ganis has a guild on horde called the Goon Squad, with apparently around 1000 players.

Everyone is horde on the server. If u want a challenge play alliance there, or join the horde and zerg away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Waiting for Euro Release, the OB will be soon enough and that will satisfy me completly till game is released.

Infact In a way I kinda prefer it that way, reason's being the beta runs are usually quite funny, because everyone knows their Toonz will be deleted so their isn't that massive lvl up as fast as you can scenario and I like the way I can get to make 2 or diff chars, get them to a somewhat decent lvl 10-20 get a feeling for what they are like, that way when the game is finally released here I will have my char as I would want him to be, ready to roll from day one.

Also will go horde ! espically if its the under populated ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

tuxy wrote:

Warsong is almost exactly even according to Cosmos (within 50-100 players during peak times).

Advertisement