Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoW PvP - A paladins tale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

What is this Cosmos you speak of? I'm interested in the divide just out of interests sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Yer people in my guild been talking about it but i never asked em wtf it was. Im guessing its like those tool type things i used in AC.

There is a cosmos which is a WoW interface modification project, but I'm not sure how they'd get statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

>no PVP in an mmorpg? absolutely ****ing rediculous if you ask me...thats the whole point.

Obviously not for everyone, since there are thousands and thousands of players playing EQ2 right now.
    I can add that I have never liked pvp in an mmorpg, and I am happy eq2 is this way ... all the whining about "that class is overpowered blah blah blah" comes from pvp'ers, and always leads to stupid changes in the class and finally ending up at more whining.

Anyways, if you like pvp or not is a personal opinion, my opinion is that it leads to complaining, and I dont like it anyways.
    Just dont think you should say that pvp is the whole point (might be for you, but not for everyone) since it isnt anything but an annoyance for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

aye but it is nice that in WoW you can chose to play on a PvP or non-PvP server. You don't have that choice in EQ2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Muffen is right of course, it is all down to personal preferance as the amount of non PvP server's will tell you.

As a personal opinion I just dont see the point really of non PvP related mmorpgs, I mean I can understand the point while their would be at less non greving \ whining etc but What would you do for fun?

I would consider Mmorpgs a long term game <very long term in some case's> so it has obviously it has to have long term playability. What do you do when you have killed all the high end mobs, dragons etc repeatidly <bad english?>
    When you have all your armour \ cash etc, except save up for bigger house's or decorate these house's and ............. really I dont know what.. I mean mob AI will always be predictable, in a sense, so sooner or later just playing against a bot would it not get boring as hell ?. I dont get the attraction except as <dare I say it> a RP server where you play out your toon or what ever.

If you take all the whining \ 733tism out of PvP servers they will still always be more fun, simply for the unpredictability, you NEVER know what the other player will do. Granted 90% of the time he will straight out attack you and the two of you will run around trying to kill each other etc but he mightn't he could stealth and hide in the open waiting for you, watching you , till bang 30 min later he comes out of no where and kills you ! The possiblitys are endless all of the time ! he could be a decoy <my favourite> and while he runs away from you, his friends jump out and gank you !
    That is why I think PvP servers have real long term playability because you never know what zerg is around the next corner :)

Not a flame or anything about PvP/ Rp etc <whatever floats your boat etc>
    just personal opinion ..............and possibly a boring job are to blame :p

quozl wrote:
    aye but it is nice that in WoW you can chose to play on a PvP or non-PvP server. You don't have that choice in EQ2.

I agree, it is nice to have the choice, but the thing is that a lot of gamechanges happen because pvp'ers complain about class balance, and this will affect everyone, pvpserver or not.

I think PvP does add an extra dynamic to games, and I would generally play games that offer this option over these that don't. I can see why some players don't want all the hassle that goes with it though. Unfortunately PvP attracts rather a large number of immature players who find it attractive to make life for other people unenjoyable.

In games like non PvP games, the game is about battling the environment, so guilds exist so you can get a few friends together and all have to work together to complete a zone that none of you could have done individually. Different mobs popping up in different places at the most inoportune times make the play hazardous and exciting, and there's a certain thrill to combining skills with others to defeat something great. I've heard people say in games that certain game mechanics are 'forcing' them to team up with other players. Boo hoo, that's half the fun.

Someone mentioned that non PvP games can be predictable, and indeed if the game isn't supported well that is so. I would hope that when a proportion of the population base gets to level 60 or whatever, that more challenges are offered, with more challenging and rewarding zones that could not have been completed before etc. Similarly, if I'm a level 20 cleric trying to xp in a PvP game, and a level 30 warrior keeps killing me, it doesn't matter how clever I am, how well I use my skills, this scenario is also predictable (and occurs far too much for my liking).

Anyway, that's enough rambling. I can see why players would want to play with each other instead of against each other, but I think I'd really like to see WoW finish their honor system so we can try it out in the European game launch. Muhahahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Waiting for Euro Release, the OB will be soon enough and that will satisfy me completly till game is released.

cool i knew final beta was ment to be out this month but not open beta also
    when will open beta be?
    i didnt think it would be so close to final beta

Final beta is open beta :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

muffen wrote:
    >no PVP in an mmorpg? absolutely ****ing rediculous if you ask me...thats the whole point.

Obviously not for everyone, since there are thousands and thousands of players playing EQ2 right now.
    I can add that I have never liked pvp in an mmorpg, and I am happy eq2 is this way ... all the whining about "that class is overpowered blah blah blah" comes from pvp'ers, and always leads to stupid changes in the class and finally ending up at more whining.

Anyways, if you like pvp or not is a personal opinion, my opinion is that it leads to complaining, and I dont like it anyways.
    Just dont think you should say that pvp is the whole point (might be for you, but not for everyone) since it isnt anything but an annoyance for others.

And what will those 1000's and 1000's of people do when they reach the max lvl and have all the good items ? cancel their subscription maybe ? I think so... You plut in the work lvling up and camping mobs for items so you can bash people in PVP !

You plut in the work lvling up and camping mobs for items so you can bash people in PVP !
    Definately if that's the way you look at it, you need to be playing in a PvP game (heh obviously). Many people play non PvP games though and are happy doing that as I mentioned before, for the challange of working together with other guild mates to defeat challenging mobs. If the game allows many players to be at max lvl with 'all' the good items, then it's a poor game. Most games like this will continue releasing new top level content to keep challenging players (if it's EQ it'll be multitudes of expansions).

Neither PvP, nor non PvP are inherently 'better', some game types just suit some people better. I prefer PvP games, but as I also mentioned previously, it definately attracts an influx of far more immature players who enjoy peeing people off (as well as 'normal' people). For some people the thrill of PvP is offset by the muppetry, and they make their decisions on which game type to play based on this.

If I could only play an hour a day, I'd definately prefer to be in a game where I can just play around with a group of friends to conquer some zone, instead of getting killed constantly by players who are of enough of a level difference that you have no hope against. It would be interesting to see if PvP games in general attract players who can play for a much longer time per day than non PvP ones.

Anyone decide what class that are going to play ??

I "think" (90%) im going to play a Mage 1st looks like fun..a fire mage even!!
    .....Burning stuff is fun.......

Also nicked this off another site, worth looking at, Cant remember orgional site hence no linkage

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

now have PDFs for Cooking, Herbalism, Mining, Alchemy, Tailoring, Enchanting, Engineering, Leatherworking and Blacksmithing.

Enjoy:

http://www.streamload.com/bollwerk

I also HIGHLY recommend visiting this page for questions on all Professions: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-professions&t=40&p=1

Suggestions and corrections are welcome.

Special thanks to Thottbot.com, which is where I got the majority of the info.

Also anyone in Closed beta getting any good info on open beta date???
    I have heard the 16/19 and 23 so far..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

they did it again!!! the final beta release date has now been pushed back from mid-dec to late dec/early jan!!! :mad:
    The Final Beta Test, which is currently scheduled for the end of December / beginning of January, will begin simultaneously in English, French and German. The start of the Final Beta Test will be the next time new testers will be welcomed to join the game.

We are pleased to announce that current Closed Beta testers will be transferred automatically to the Final Beta Test and there will be no deletion of characters between the Closed and Final Beta Test. The purchasers of the limited number of pre-order boxes sold through the official Blizzard pre-order campaign will also have access to the Final Beta Test and will be amongst the next phase of new testers to enter the game. In addition more players will be included during the Final Beta Test as more servers are added in preparation for the game launch in early 2005. Details on how to activate these accounts will be given on our website and we will inform you as soon as there is more information concerning the start date of the Final Beta Test.
    linkage
    damn them, damn them straight to...... a bad place, for making me wait!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

meanwhile I'm level 46 in the US version :P

Im only lvl 13 in the closed beta... only started on Monday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

all the whining about "that class is overpowered blah blah blah" comes from pvp'ers
    Not always, i played on a PvE server in AC (tho if u went to a special alter u could become a PvPer or if u go to other alter u become a PvE'er, both are quests). People were whining about archers as they got all the XP ( xp was handed out for the amount of damage you did to a creep/mob. Since some classes could kill from far away and do a load of damage there was whining.
    People will always find something to moan about so saying that its mainly PvPers is nonsensical.

This is my first PvP game and im looking forward to killing me some horde. I just hope that the contested territories become just that. Contested and that control over towns etc can be won and lost as that would be 1337 :p

Final beta is open beta :)

so blizzard have said final beta will also be open to people that dont have the pre order final beta key?

cool didnt know that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'm having a ball with my Warlock currently. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

I've played Neocron for 2 years(pure PVP mmo), Eve for 21 months(mostly PVE), and planetside 3 months.

PVP in mmo's(excepting PS, and even that wasnt amazing :() is usually less enjoyment then online FPS.

Even in Neocron, a sizable majority played purely for acquisition of items, and capping characters.

Drakar wrote:
    If I could only play an hour a day, I'd definately prefer to be in a game where I can just play around with a group of friends to conquer some zone, instead of getting killed constantly by players who are of enough of a level difference that you have no hope against. It would be interesting to see if PvP games in general attract players who can play for a much longer time per day than non PvP ones.

This is a very good point that I also should have mentioned before.

I am not able to play that much, mainly due to work. I travel quite a bit (probably gone 2 to 3 days a week), and that makes it close to impossible for me to ever reach any caps of any kind, so I can assure you, I am not really worried about what I will do when I reach level 60, because it will not happen...

I do however believe I am the only person who levelled my char two levels while being on a wireless network in the businessclass lounge in heathrow airport waiting for a plane (huge delays). :)

I always think its funny to watch the other people sit with Word and PowerPoint in there, and then you have me who's playing EQ2 :)

Fenster wrote:
    I'm having a ball with my Warlock currently. :D

Thats a funky layout you got there ? how did you customize it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Most of it is Gypsy Mod, but I use Quest Minion from Cosmos UI as well.

have u got a link to the Gypsy Mods website?

Theres a small update for the WOW beta but instead of releasing a patch you gotta download the entire 2 gigs again...**** that I say. Ddint really want to get any higher then I was anyway (15) because it would hurt too much when deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Tusky wrote:
    Theres a small update for the WOW beta but instead of releasing a patch you gotta download the entire 2 gigs again...**** that I say. Ddint really want to get any higher then I was anyway (15) because it would hurt too much when deleted.

so are you going to wait for the final release before you play? cause then if you don;t download it you will have to wait till you get your disks before you can install the game. If you download it now then you won't have to rush out and get your cd. I plan to download it and i'm not even in beta yet, but i will play in open. that will be the same copy as they ship out so i don't mind downloading it to get in before the servers are flooded with people signing on like in US

Trebor wrote:
    so are you going to wait for the final release before you play? cause then if you don;t download it you will have to wait till you get your disks before you can install the game. If you download it now then you won't have to rush out and get your cd. I plan to download it and i'm not even in beta yet, but i will play in open. that will be the same copy as they ship out so i don't mind downloading it to get in before the servers are flooded with people signing on like in US

If I download it I dont need the install cds ?

What are my chances of getting your Acc details for Closed Beta if you decide not to download ? :) plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(Chancing my luck ! but Worth a post anyway ;))

• Advertisement

What are my chances of getting your Acc details for Closed Beta if you decide not to download ? :) plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(Chancing my luck ! but Worth a post anyway ;))

Maybe after I download the client you can have them to mess around - Id want the account abck for open beta though so I can lvl my character !

Advertisement