Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favourite Anime/Manga movie

• 07-12-2004 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

Well what is it?

I only have Ninja Scrolls, Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Spirited Away. I like them all, although Ninja Scrolls does have one or two disturbing scenes :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Manga movie? ;)

Studio Ghibli's Princess Mononoke is fantastic, and dirt cheap too. Favourite series would probably be Cowboy Bebop or Evangelion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fantasy_fued

I loved Spirited Away.I rented it out for 3 days,and watched it about 10 times.My brother got me the official cinematic poster for my room cos he works in a cinema.I watched Ghost In A Shell,but I didnt really enjoy it,because I didnt really understand it.I remember watching myb rother play the game years ago,and I remember enjoying it,but I didnt like this.And Akira...well,It still doesnt make sence after 5 times of seeing it,but I liked it all the same.I think my second favourite,after Spirited Away,is Cowboy Bebop.Great movie.Some series I like tho are GTO and The Guyver.Dark...my kinda thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Spirited Away.
    It's one of the prettiest movies I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

The End of Evangelion and Spirited Away are my favourites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

do OAV's count?

Eva was cool, as were Cowboy Bebop, GITS, Akira, Princess Monoke.

Ninja Scroll or Final Fantasy are two of my favourites.

I know alot of people didn't like FF, but then again, alot of people I know didn't like Gattaca and I thought it was classic old-skool Sci-Fi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd have to say Akira... as I used to watch it all the time when I was younger and I collected the entire comic book... I think it was something like 2600 pages overall...

My Neighbour Totoro has always been my favourite Studio Ghibli film.

Oh and the 2 Patlabor films are amazing... As is Wings of Honemise(I need to get that on DVD) and of course Perfect Blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Hmmm, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Naruto movie... but then I'm a bit of a nut for the series so it's to be expected :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jared almasy

as ive just finished watching it, ill say ghost in the shell in french, mucho goodo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

The original or GITS: 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Ardent

The only one I've ever seen was Crying Freeman - any one ever seen this? Thought it was quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Princess Mononoke was damn good, so was spirited away. Cant choose between em.
    Metropolis was cool but its not really classic style anime.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hmm,

Laputa - Castle in the Sky,
    Spirited Away,
    Princess Mononoke,
    Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind,
    Fist of the North Star,
    Nadesico - Prince of Darkness,
    End of Evangelion,
    Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust...

In that order, I reckon. I've a lot of favourites...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Im a fan of Armitage (yes i mainly, ok ok, i just watch it for Naomis outfits :), Cyber Cities OEDO and the Dominion Tank Police Series. The Evangelion movies were cool.
    I also have one of the Street Fighter, Animated Series on dvd, very very cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Blood: The Last Vampire was rather good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

The Street Fighter Animated Movie(not alpha), Ghost in the shell, Patlabor 1 and Dominion Tank Police all great movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Grave of the Fireflies was good but really depressing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pingoo

Ghibli's collection is fantastic, I abolutely loved Mononoke Hime. By the way Mononoke has been realeased in France in a ultra collector wooden box containing a statue and 2 magnificent dvds ... I have this version and can only recommend it to everyone (English subbed and dubbed as well on this dvd), it only cost 35 euros on some popular French websites and I was delivered in ireland ;)

I hate the OAV from Eva, I didn't really like the idea of doing an alternate ending just because the fan didn't like the first one, that's life that's it ;)

I recommend the latest Saint Seiya movie, Overture, a pure beauty ... so different that all the OAV that they did in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Spirited Away.
    It's one of the prettiest movies I've ever seen.

Big fan of this myself, along with Totoro and Akira.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Oh where to begin - Akira,Street fighter,Appleseed,AD polive,Ghost in the Shell,Patlabor ,Blun Gender (Whole show)........the list goes on.
    Play.com actually have a nice selection under Anime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

nausicaa of the valley of the wind, similar-ish to mononoke hime, but far superior and made in 1984 to boot. for many, this is hayao miyazaki's masterpiece.
    and

millennium acctress, directed by Satoshi Kon(perfect blue, tokyo godfathers) this is my favourite animated film of all time, absolutely superb!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

CuLT wrote:
    Hmm,

Laputa - Castle in the Sky,
    Spirited Away,
    Princess Mononoke,
    Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind,
    Fist of the North Star,
    Nadesico - Prince of Darkness,
    End of Evangelion,
    Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust...

In that order, I reckon. I've a lot of favourites...

OMG!! you read my mind :D

haven't seen Nausicaa, Nadesico or End of Evangelion but will look them up as i'm sure to like them. only other one i might add would be ninja scroll but only cause it's the only one i can seem to remember whenever anyone asks what anime i've seen.

hehe, just to be pedantic isn't manga the comics and anime the animations? :confused::D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wings of Homnneamise is my favourite.

Akira is great but I still don't understand it :)

Ghost in the Shell is another.

Loved Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke

Evangelion is my fav series.

Trebor wrote:
    hehe, just to be pedantic isn't manga the comics and anime the animations? :confused::D

Yes, but if you only have access to anime sold in Ireland the distributors "Manga Entertainment" are the ones you see most frequently, so it's often confused.

Nice to see you around again Trebor; and you apparently made it to Scotland too! Kudos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

My Neighbour Totoro has always been my favourite Studio Ghibli film.

Love that movie, it's so good :)

I've always preferred series though -- '3x3 Eyes', 'Doomed Megalopolis', 'Sailor Moon', 'Macross'....

Have 'Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust' & 'Card Captor Sakura' for Christmas, can't wait :D

3x3 Eyes isn't a series... it's a seven part OVA ;)

3x3 Eyes isn't a series... it's a seven part OVA

It's a series of parts ;)

Then I guess a film is a series of scenes :p

Then I guess a film is a series of scenes

Well, a series of still images that we see as 'moving image'

Persistence of Vision and all that.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

CuLT wrote:
    3x3 Eyes isn't a series... it's a seven part OVA ;)

dumb question i know but i can't remeber, what is a OVA? and how is it different from film/series?

and yeah, made it to scotland but not the course i wanted, am doing basic computing, but i'm enjoying it. will be back next week for the first time since sept, can't wait :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

ova/oav= original video animation/ original animated video

basically a series that was specially made to go straight to dvd in japan, higher production values than normal tv shows and generally shorter

Advertisement