Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favourite Anime/Manga movie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Hi people.

I bought my first Manga dvd yesterday (hooray) - Detanator Orgun.
    I dont know why I chose that particular one but I did. I wasnt overwhelmed by it. I remember a few years back Bravo on Sky had way more entertaining Manga movies on late at night, lots more violence and the animation of the machines etc. was more detailed. (humble description).

I dont know much about manga, although I do know that Ghost in the Shell and Akira are two of the best. (which ive seen a while back). Could someone suggest a movie that has lots of action and violence?

thanks ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

3x3 eyes is ridiculous but the gore and action is really over the top and hilarious. Its a tv series but you can get the lot in the perfect collection that was released in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Martian sucessor Nadesico was good. Very funny expecially with the Gekigengar jokes.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Well if you really liked Ghost in the Shell and Akira then you'd probably like a lot of 80's anime; I am almost certain you'd enjoy the "Fist of the North Star" movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

SyxPak wrote:
    Blood: The Last Vampire was rather good :)

Have you seen the Trigun series or the Berserk series thems good cartoons. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Trigun is the sweetest :D

CuLT wrote:
    Well if you really liked Ghost in the Shell and Akira then you'd probably like a lot of 80's anime; I am almost certain you'd enjoy the "Fist of the North Star" movie.

What about the macross saga. Thats a classic series.

It's notoriously difficult to purchase or rent tv series, he mentioned three movies in his post, so I thought he'd be looking for more movies :)

CuLT wrote:
    It's notoriously difficult to purchase or rent tv series, he mentioned three movies in his post, so I thought he'd be looking for more movies :)

Tell me about it. It's easier to find TV series on Bittorrent than in the shop.
    And then when it is there its only a volume of the series. Why cant they sell box sets at HMV rather than volumes... :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Art_Wolf wrote:
    Trigun is the sweetest :D

I hated the first few episodes of Trigun. They were just annoying, Vash was a bit of a sap, then the series went less slapstick and more serious and became great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

favs are probably Patlobor, Ninja Scroll and Castle of Cagliostro

Neon Genesis Evangelion is also good. Avoid the original eps.25 and 26 though and watch the movie instead. If you saw them you know what i mean.

Infini wrote:
    Neon Genesis Evangelion is also good. Avoid the original eps.25 and 26 though and watch the movie instead. If you saw them you know what i mean.

Terrible suggestion; if you don't watch the last episodes of EVA you don't get any character closure.

(btw, we can have a big 'ol eva discussion if you like, but in a seperate thread with [SPOLIER] tags.)

Does anybody know if they are ever going to make a new berserk series?

Also has anybody seen Spriggan? Now thems good cartoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jahl

Let's see. . . Akira, Spirited Away, Street Fighter, Ghost in the Shell, Vampire Hunter D, Violence Jack or any of the Animatrix shorts.

CuLT wrote:

How many Fist of the north Star movies are there?

North Star and South Cross never fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

has anybody seen Spriggan? Now thems good cartoons.

Spriggan was a great action movie with a bit of plot unnecessarily tacked on. They tried to do too much with the plot in too short a time and it just felt tacked on to the killing. But the killing was good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Steven wrote:
    Spriggan was a great action movie with a bit of plot unnecessarily tacked on. They tried to do too much with the plot in too short a time and it just felt tacked on to the killing. But the killing was good :)
    Yep. That's it exactly. I read the original manga years ago and
    it didn't have any of that back story around the main character and him being brain washed to be a super soldier and his connection to Fat Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭americanCat

i haven't seen spriggan.. my fav. is mononoke hime (princess mononoke) but i also suggest Akira and Grave of the Fireflies :D

When I Was Young I Saw What I Think Was An Anime. It Involved A Leather Clad Woman With Two Guns Blasting Her Way Through The Building. She Killed So Many People That The Blood Was Knee Deep To Her. She Makes Her Way To The Top Of The Building Only To Fall Off Cause She Steps On What I Think Was A Nail. She Was About To Kill Two People In The Room She Was Looking Into Before She Fell. Has Anyone Any Idea What I'm ****tin On About?

• Advertisement

Yep. That's it exactly. I read the original manga years ago and
    it didn't have any of that back story around the main character and him being brain washed to be a super soldier and his connection to Fat Man.

Ya I have to admit it was a short lived storyline but it had class action and reminded me of Akira.

When I Was Young I Saw What I Think Was An Anime. It Involved A Leather Clad Woman With Two Guns Blasting Her Way Through The Building. She Killed So Many People That The Blood Was Knee Deep To Her. She Makes Her Way To The Top Of The Building Only To Fall Off Cause She Steps On What I Think Was A Nail. She Was About To Kill Two People In The Room She Was Looking Into Before She Fell. Has Anyone Any Idea What I'm ****tin On About?

Sounds like Aeon Flux. It was an animated show made by MTV. Charlize Theron is playing her in a live action feature film of it now...

Sounds like Aeon Flux. It was an animated show made by MTV. Charlize Theron is playing her in a live action feature film of it now...

Monkeyfudge you are a fudging genius that was exactly what I was looking for.

HERES ANOTHER ONE. IT WAS SET IN THE SKY (THIS WAS ALONG TIME AGO 15 OR 16 YEARS) WITH WHAT I THINK WHERE PIRATES AND SOME GOVERNMENT ORGANISATION/POLICE. ALL I CAN REMEMBER WAS WHAT LOOKED LIKE A HUGH STONE CITY IN THE SKY WITH LOADS OF IVY/VINES AND THIN OLD WOMAN WITH GLASSES AND A GIRL ON THE RUN. CAN YOU OR ANYBODY HELP. FORGIVE MY DESCRIPTION BUT I WAS 6 OR 7 WHEN I SAW IT.

That sounds like Laputa : Castle in the Sky

It's a lovely film from the studio that made Spirited Away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

iS THERE Something Wrong wITH youR ShIfT keY?

It's a lovely film from the studio that made Spirited Away.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again Man. May the fudge be with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

I just realised that when I saw Spriggan on Sci-Fi a couple of years ago it was dubbed, and what might seem terribly clumsy in dub form (The jail cell scene in Akira) might be perfectly acceptable in sub.

Steven wrote:
    I just realised that when I saw Spriggan on Sci-Fi a couple of years ago it was dubbed, and what might seem terribly clumsy in dub form (The jail cell scene in Akira) might be perfectly acceptable in sub.
    They did a new dub on Akira when it was released on a special edition DVD... I think that scene came off a bit better than in the first time it was dubbed.

• Advertisement

They did a new dub on Akira when it was released on a special edition DVD... I think that scene came off a bit better than in the first time it was dubbed.

I've seen the difference between the original Dubbed soundtrack and the DVD release and the quality not to mention the voice acting is by far more improved over the original. They literally redid the entire voice cast for the DVD edition.
    Anyone whose seen the difference between the two will know.

Advertisement