Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Hot Chocolate In Dublin?

Options
  • 07-12-2004 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

So, where do you think makes the best hot chocolate in Dublin? My 2 favorites at the moment are Butlers Chocolate Cafe (Hot Chocolate with Caramel Syrup MMmmmmmm) even though i dont think their chocolates are the best, and Australian Ice Cream place as they make lovely hot chocolate out of their belgian chocolate ice cream. Ohhhh, i want one now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Butlers is gorgeous!!! Where is this Australian place you mention. I need to try it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 salubrious

best hot chocolate comes from heavenly in temple bar square

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

How do you make hot chocoalte out of ice cream?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Australian is on the corner of Liffey St right by the Luas tracks. Has some fantastic ice cream too. I recommend the passionfruit sorbet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Lorcan26

not sure about dublin but my aunt got some fairtrade hot chocolate once, and its the nicest ive ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

dont know about the nicest, but the cheapest is in cafe moccha on south william street, 1.80 euro last time i was there, very nice too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Alanna

Question, there is a type of Italian hot chocolate that is really thick(thickened with potato starch), actually I think that you get it in Spain too served with churros (fab sugary donuts), it's devine! It is avaiable in some places in London and Carluccios cafes actually sell the powder, but is it available anywhere in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Alanna wrote:
    Question, there is a type of Italian hot chocolate that is really thick(thickened with potato starch), actually I think that you get it in Spain too served with churros (fab sugary donuts), it's devine! It is avaiable in some places in London and Carluccios cafes actually sell the powder, but is it available anywhere in Ireland?
    There is this type of chocolate in the Wedel shop in Warsaw! Also in a really nice ice cream parlour near an underground station I can't remember. MMMMmmmm. It has about a million calories and comes in an expresso cup (right?).

Anyway, you can make it yourself with melted butter (probably unsalted) and cocoa powder, I don't know the measurments, probably sugar too ... I will contact a friend who made it for me once. If it's not the same as your italian chocolate ... well, who cares, it's lovely anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

re: the italian hot chocolate, theres a place in temple bar called "Joy of coffee" which does something that sounds quite similar, very very thick hot chocolates, one of them is a torincino hot chocolate, theres something about almonds, honey and chocolate all at once that is just teh win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Butlers Irish Chocolate Café <<< :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Absolutely definately Café Aroma in the GPO Arcade off Henry Street

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,317 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

La Corte in the IFSC and the Epicurean Mall in Abbey Street might do the Italian hot chocolate. As well as being sandwich bars/coffee shops, they have a reasonable range of Italian foodstuffs. Their hot chocolate is pretty good too, but the best has to be Butlers.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

What a surprisingly useful thread 0_o .

Too bad I'm limited to DCU's Nescafé machines...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Milkman Dan

best hot chocolate, by a very long way, butlers chocolate cafe. mmmmnnn hmmmnnn.....

:rolleyes:

yum.

also, coffee society on liffey street. yumzers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Costa in london do great hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallows. Big ones, which is a nice change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

the chocolate bar in roches stores, henry st... they actually have chocolate SOUP....sooooo good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

rob1891 wrote:
    Anyway, you can make it yourself with melted butter (probably unsalted) and cocoa powder, I don't know the measurments, probably sugar too ... I will contact a friend who made it for me once. If it's not the same as your italian chocolate ... well, who cares, it's lovely anyway!

If your interested, 50% butter, 50% sugar, cocoa powder to taste (start off with 1 tablespoon per 50g of butter say). Don't let the butter boil, heat gently and slowly, mix in the sugar & cocoa. Use small amounts so you don't waste too much (or drink too much). It's really just a chocolate syrup for, say, icecream, but you know the best thing to do with syrup is to ditch the icecream and gorge on it alone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

gingerbread man in crk

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Mmm - would never have thought to go for hot chocolate in dublin. Seems my horizons are broadening!

Good thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

anyone think cafe sol do a nice hot choc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Mutz wrote:
    Mmm - would never have thought to go for hot chocolate in dublin. Seems my horizons are broadening!

Good thread!

I was thinking the exact same thing! I must sample some next time I'm in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I was in the Butlers Chocolate café in the shopping centre of Dublin airport - got some hot chocolate there that was gorgeous, you get some free chocolate with it too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

What are the Options packets like? I see em advertised on TV alot lately!

memphis wrote:
    What are the Options packets like? I see em advertised on TV alot lately!

I like the mint one - not too keen on the rest - much prefer the Cadbury's hot chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Try Gloria Jeans 'tis yummy :)

*Angel* wrote:
    Try Gloria Jeans 'tis yummy :)

Where / what's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Clarendon Street, at front of Powerscourt centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

APM wrote:
    anyone think cafe sol do a nice hot choc?

have to say i <3 cafe sol but never had the hot choccie, id be interested to know if it was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Butlers by far have the best hot chocolate. I will even localise it to the little butlers take out place at the end of Grafton Street near Stephens Green. One hot chocolate, a good book and sit down in the Green, hmm.

Gloria Jeans would have to be second.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bewleys <sob>

Advertisement