Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Hot Chocolate In Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I think the best hot chocolate award has to be shared between Butlers, Gloria Jeans and Australian. Each has a different taste and texture but each is good in it's own way. I just Love that Australian's is made of ice cream, Butler's has that slightly tarter taste and Gloria Jean's is just so creamy. the major plus ppoints for Butler's though is that they'll put whipped cream on the top (so sinful) and they give a free chocolate with it.

mmmmmm....think i need hot chocolate now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

my bird makes great hot choc. with the cadburys tin and mixes it with a coffee she gets in some shop to give it a little kick very nice .
    all invited..lol. its a hint of ciniman coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I think the best hot chocolate award has to be shared between Butlers, Gloria Jeans and Australian. Each has a different taste and texture but each is good in it's own way. I just Love that Australian's is made of ice cream, Butler's has that slightly tarter taste and Gloria Jean's is just so creamy. the major plus ppoints for Butler's though is that they'll put whipped cream on the top (so sinful) and they give a free chocolate with it.

mmmmmm....think i need hot chocolate now! :)

Gloria jeans!!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

b3t4 wrote:
    Butlers by far have the best hot chocolate. I will even localise it to the little butlers take out place at the end of Grafton Street near Stephens Green. One hot chocolate, a good book and sit down in the Green, hmm.

Gloria Jeans would have to be second.

A.

I didnt realise there was one on grafton street - it was my first time in the one in the airport - was so nice!

mobile04 wrote:
    my bird makes great hot choc. with the cadburys tin and mixes it with a coffee she gets in some shop to give it a little kick very nice .

This is probably more like mocha then is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Gossip_girl

For me it's gotta be beetween Butler's and the Australian place. The free chocolates really push it over the edge so Butler's if I had to pick. In the summer Marks and Spencer do really good iced hot chocolates. It's bassicly a hot chocolate gone cold with chocolate chips, flakes, syrup and loads of whipped cream. Totally sinful but yummy none the less. Tried the options things and they're okay. The best is defenitley the mint or orange one imo.

The free chocolates really push it over the edge so Butler's if I had to pick.

Their chocolates are gorgeous!! Parents got about 4 boxes of them as presents over xmas - didnt last too long - God they're good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

So a while ago i was reading this thread and it's stuck in my head but i could only remember butlers hot choc so there i am with a friend on abbey st. and the onlyt place i can recall a butlers is up beside trinity. We go all the way for the hot choc and are walking past henry st. AND THERE IT IS! so out of some thinly veiled fu(pfffft) i went in and bought another one(that really got them!!) needless to say i was stuffed for the day. Lovely Hot chocolate but at the same time i expected better and when they're backs are turned i always put my hand in the jar for one more chocolate.

I've made a list of places to try so yes HOT CHOCS AT THE WEEKEND

ok sorry
    mobile04 wrote:
    all invited..lol. its a hint of ciniman coffee

She is a keeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

If you want to make really good hot chocolate, get a bar of Bourneville - the big bar, not the little one - and break it up into warm milk, then bring it to hot, but not boiling, stirring all the time. Pour and drink. Mmm. If you want a sharp bite on it, whizz it up a bit, and sprinkle some cocoa powder (not chocolate powder, but the straight cocoa) over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

The Best place in Dublin for Hot Chocolate is The Winding Stair on the quays beside hapenny bridge. Flake, cream the whole she-bang.

To make yer own hot chocolate I'd advise using cocoa as it is the real mccoy and mix in bournville & hot milk. yum yum. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 squaredog

APM wrote:
    anyone think cafe sol do a nice hot choc?

Definitely, I love their hot chocolate, the milk stays lovely and frothy in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Butlers hot choc without a doubt, real choc shavings and go with the added cream option, expensive though at €2.60

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

had the hot chocolate at the Ranelagh farmers' market, got to say it was pretty good only on Sundays though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Make it at home. A heaping spoonful of Cadbury's powder (not the drinking chocolate). Pour on half a cup of boiling water, stir. Heat half a cup of milk, optionally with a dash of cream, in the microwave. Pour that on. Add sugar to taste. Add a dash of cayenne pepper. Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

Heavenly in TempleBar square is currently my fav... marshmellows and cream.... but I only ever get marshmellows cause then I eat them individually with those stirrer things while it cools cause I don't like my tongue burnt :o

Also someone mentioned it about the fairtrade hot chocolate....... and it really is the nicest hot chocolate mix EVER....... I cannot stress the sheer gorgeousness of it.... I have no idea where we got it, just that it was there one day and it was the best EVER!!!.......

I'll have to try butlers sometime now :) thanks peoples :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

The Hot chocolate in Avoca in town is Delicious, and so is the one in a place called Queen Of Tarts, also in town.

The best homemade hot chocolate is definetely the Fairtrade chocolate, in a league of its own! I advise you to add a bit of Horlicks malt to your hot chocolate and it will make you go right to sleep.

I don't think anyone can really say where the best hot chocolate in Dublin is because everyone likes different tastes of hot chocolate. So someone might think cinnamon hot chocolate is the best, but i don't like cinnamon so i don't. Get my point? And it's also really up to the time of day, the weather on the day, your mood, and the day of the week.

Ok so where do i get this fairtrade hot choc then?

Anywhere really. In Superquinn or Oxfam shops. Anywhere they sell fairtrade things.

Anywhere really. In Superquinn or Oxfam shops. Anywhere they sell fairtrade things.
    thank you :)

You're welcome. Anything to help feed peoples chocolate addictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Best one i had so far was McCafe (mcdonalds) on grafton street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Mmmmmmm definitely Australian hot chocolate is the best, I had one today and it was soooooooooo good....

Caoimhe wrote:
    Mmmmmmm definitely Australian hot chocolate is the best, I had one today and it was soooooooooo good....

I went in like 5 times times and they never had it! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Ran out of chocolate ice cream?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

I really must try some hot chocolate someday.

I'd imagine they ran out of chocolate ice cream however til now i never thought they made it from ice cream! THATS MY EXCUSE IM STICKING TO IT!

i bought drinking chocolate from oxfam today,its on the fairtrade label is this the ones you all are talking about? i was kinda unimpressed about it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

You people have to try the hot chocolate in 'Coffee society' on liffey street, really comfy chairs, can get a bit of peace and quiet. Not too expensive either and you can get it with loads of those little marshmallows.

This australia place you all have mentioned is now on my list though!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Laudree in Brown Thomas do DELICIOUS hot chocolate! It's just inside the door at the Jewelry Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

The best hot chocolate I've found in Dublin is made by the West Coast Coffee Company. They do a fantastic mint hot chocolate. The Australian Chocolate place mentioned here has long since gone out of business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Have not been there in a while, but the cafe in debenhams on henry street is like thick liquid chocolate in a bowl. I think its on the 1st or second floor. It used to be called chocolate soup but I think it has changed its name since.

Advertisement