Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst student meal you've ever made

• 07-12-2004 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭

Just reading the 'what meal did you have last night' thread and some of the posts brought back memories of the things I used to eat when I was in university.

First week after grant cheque cleared: A small pizza and a pint of Guinness in the college bar every night: £4.50 a night or somesuch.

Rest of time: odd things. These included:
    • Cambells mushroom soup with half pack of boiled egg noodles in it.
    • Boiled potatoes with onions, stock and sharwoods curry powder, aka "Potato Madras"
    • Tinned chicken soup with boiled potatoes in it, aka "stew".

The stew thing was the worst I think. I went to college in DCU, and Londis across the road had this special one week on tinned chicken soup - not the concentrate kind, the "volume on the tin's what you get" kind. It was 19p a tin or something. I bought more tins of it than I could count, and the biggest bag of potatoes I could find.

...I haven't eaten another tin of chicken soup in... yep, it must be eight years.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some friends of mine had yellow pack beefbergers and turnip for easter sunday, everyone thought someone else was organising something nice and by the time they realised all the shops were closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The meal I describe in this post was pretty mankeh - everytime I try doing stuff with potatoes, it comes out disgustingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Last night wasn't great. A large bowl of pasta, with a vegetable stock cube thrown in, and, for some reason, tinned salmon. I decided that in order to get rid of the bones, I'd add a healthy dollup of balsamic vinegar. There was also chilli powder and soy sauce.

I... Wouldn't make it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I can't eat meals consiting of lots of foods mixed together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I can put up my potato and Butternut Squash curry recipe if anyone wants it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Any time I ever tried to cook chicken. There was one time I tried to make fajitas and I managed to carbonise the chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Abdiel

Just reading the 'what meal did you have last night' thread and some of the posts brought back memories of the things I used to eat when I was in university.

First week after grant cheque cleared: A small pizza and a pint of Guinness in the college bar every night: £4.50 a night or somesuch.

I seem to remember you serving Peach Schnapps for breakfast back in the DCU res one morning ! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

I remember I once made some pasta and put Dolmio AND ketchup in as the sauce. Needless to say it tasted delicious :p
    To make matters even worse, I was making this meal for a girl I was trying to impress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I recall going through a period where the I'd mash up white pudding with eggs to produce a scrambled egg white pudding dish. Looked really horrible, but was pretty tasty.

I also lived off pasta and packet mushroom sauce. Very nutritious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

fjon wrote:
    I remember I once made some pasta and put Dolmio AND ketchup in as the sauce. Needless to say it tasted delicious :p
    To make matters even worse, I was making this meal for a girl I was trying to impress.

I shall always remember the story of my older brother cooking for his girlfriend for the first time.

Chicken curry. With sausages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

Right 9.15 one monday morning, still pretty happy from the nite before, all we had was a packet of opened sugarpuffs (that were in the house opened before we'd moved in, 6 months before that) with water...... that was pretty bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,942 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I got a big casserole dish once... put in a load of baked beans, cut-up sausages and some tomato ketchup...

And let's never speak of it again! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I remember doing something pretty desparate with chilli sauce and turkey mince.

A couple of the guys I shared a house with used to make a big vat of "stew" - kidneys, potatoes and oxtail soup - at the beginning of each week and live off that for a week or two. Basically their dinner preparation each day was to melt down some of this congealed brown lard-like substance it order to render it "edible" :p

Not a student story but in one place I worked there was a very poorly paid junior technician (well he was student-age) who used to keep himself going by dropping into a neighbouring pub on his way home in the evening and taking advantage of the free cocktail sausages, nuts and crisps they provided.

Advertisement