Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I-River H140 Vs Creative Zen Micro

• 07-12-2004 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

(I opened this on the gadgets forum yesterday, but there is zero traffice there....)

OK.. its like this... I'm going to buy one of the 2 mp3 players metioned...

its either the I-River H140 or the Creative Zen Micro..

So, I know all about the technical aspects of both. I need your input on the following aspects if you dont mind, from the people who own them:

- Size and Weight -> I need to put it my jacket pocket and not be too heavy/bulky

- Functionality -> Ease of use

- Annoyances -> Most products have little things that are not perfect

- Sound quality and loudness -> Whats it sound like? Highest volume high enough?

I've heard that the inline remote for the H140 makes a clicking sound between tracks. Is it that noticable?

Any input would be appreciated..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I bought the creative zen touch, pretty funky looking. really easy to use, fantastic sound quality and drag and drop system. I've used the ipod and the iriver and I still prefer the creative. I haven't used the micro but I assume its relatively the same. If you looking for more memory though I'd definately advise you to consider the touch. I think its gone down to 275. Its fairly light, but not the lightest out there. i carry it in my pocket with me to work and have no problems with it.

As I mentioned the sound quality on the creative is fantastic, and is very loud on the highest volume setting.

You should check out

www.advancedmp3players.co.uk

for more reviews etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mezon

Zen touch is on komplett.ie for €259 http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=302205&cks=PRL

the zen micro is also €249 but apparently only the silver on will be in before christmas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Thanks for the tips guys...

Anyone have the iriver h140?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

sprinkles wrote:
    I bought the creative zen touch, pretty funky looking.
    Got one recently as a gift, i ADORE it! :)

if i absolutely had to find fault, i would say the touch strip is a bit awkward if you have bigger or swollen fingers,

but, get it, amazing piece of kit!

have used the others you ask about, no comparisom imho, it beats them hands down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Abdiel

Just got the iRiver H140 - arrived yesterday !

Was aware of a few people experiencing "clicks" tried it with and without the inline remote and my own Sony headphones - didnt notice anything to be honest ! Havent tried the firmware upgrade yet either.

I copied a few mp3s and oggs on to it to compare, etc again both played fine - sound quality is excellent so far. I've been using a mini-disc player for the last 4 years and in terms or sound quality, track access times, portability, etc it at least matches my old mini-disc. Its a little bulkier than the MD player, but given the extra features I can still have no complaints.

The fact that it just shows up in Windows (2K\XP) as an extra drive means copying to it is easy-peasy.

Sound Quality : Upped the bass and approached max volume and did notice some distortion, but on reducing the bass a little everything was fine again.

Annoyances : The fact I didnt have track numbering enabled on some albums meant the played in alphabetical order... easily fixed in MusicMatch or just manually renaming the tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

IHP140:

Sound clicking is only heard at very low volume, wont effect your music listening experience.

you don't really notice any bulk in transit. I think its very portable, 40gigs in your pocket, tiny for what your getting! that about 600 albums. Wouldn't let this be an issue!

It's easy to use. Easy to navigate (takes 5 mins to get used to) and easy to transfer files and all of that jazz.

Delayed firmware is only real annoyance for me

Sound quality has been tested and proven to be the best

you will get the best 40GB player on the market for about €340 from www.mx2.co.uk as far as I know this is the best price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

i ordered one off mx2 they just emailed me to say they're outta stock. anyone know anywher else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Thanks for the tips guys...

Anyone have the iriver h140?

I have the H140. Brilliant plater. I have it in my inside pocket and I honestly dont notice it at all, maybe about twice as heavy as my mobile phone.

I highly reccomend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

where you get and how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

i ordered one off mx2 they just emailed me to say they're outta stock. anyone know anywher else?

Try http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/

I think there a little more expensive than mx2 but they are a great company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

How big is the iRiver? As in is it smaller than the average discman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Its basically an issue of size - Zen Micro small and light but only 5Gb. (I have one (well its my second actually) and am well chuffed with it. Slide panel can be a bit fiddly at first. Sound quality is excellent. Weight on a par with my mobile phone.

The Iriver 140 is all about craming as much music and in as many different formats as possible. Only ever played with one but I think they have kinda love it hate it looks.

Zen Touch might be a nice compromise. 20Gb and only slightly bigger all round than the micro. Lacks the radio of the Micro though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

got mine from mx2 for 340 euros. they are selling like hot cakes,

try www.amazon.co.uk they have them aswell i think.

*EDIT* talking about an iriver iHP140

Advertisement