Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerio Personal Firewall

• 07-12-2004 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

Just started using Kerio PF the other day and am having a few problems. I've set up rules in the firewall to allow Half Life 2 access to various local and remote ports but it's not doing the job. I'm able to play for a short while but after maybe 20 minutes, the game crashes back to the desktop. I check the Kerio log and it looks like the HL server was trying to send me information but it's being denied access so it's keeps trying and trying until I lose connection to the server.

If you have a look at the image below, it shows that the info is going to port 27005. This is all fine and dandy but if you look at the Application column, the program is listed as 'N/A' when it should really be 'HL2'. I'm thinking that Kerio can't recognise that this incoming connection is related to HL2 at all and as default, would block access to the port.

The log looks like this.

Anyone shed any light on my siuation?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

I think there should be a way for you to allow any application use that port incoming/outgoing..
    Its a non-privilages port (i think) so it should be alright to allow incoming connections to (i think)..

To allow it, you could go to kerio -> Network Security -> Applications ->
    Packet Filter (down bottom) -> filter rules -> Add...

and then add the port number, with protocol (which probably wouldve been specified in the log) and whatnot.. then see what happens..

i havent tried this, im just guessing, but it *looks* right to me..

give it a go and tell me how you got on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Thanks for the response, but is that not fairly dangerous to allow any program access from a particular port?

I've tried a few things at this stage and still nothing. I can't figure out why the firewall is displaying this 'n/a' description instead of the appropriate program name. I've noticed it with Soulseek too. I've established rules for this program but the same ports are being blocked because the traffic isn't being seen as connected to Soulseek at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Do have the latest version?
    i know its not a solution, but you could download the latest version and reinstall it.

tbh it sounds a bit borked, iv been using kerio for a good while and iv never seen anything like that.

It's the latest version (4.1.2 - 11th Nov). Re-install didn't do the trick either.

I'll have another good look around the net, see if I come up with any answers. Thanks for your help though.

For a P2P program or an online game such as Half-Life, is it dangerous to set a rule for a which allows only that program to use any port (local & remote) it wants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Fidelis wrote:
    For a P2P program or an online game such as Half-Life, is it dangerous to set a rule for a which allows only that program to use any port (local & remote) it wants?

No you will be fine. Allowing applications like games to run through you firewall wont cause any major issues and I wouldnt be too concerned about security with them.

Advertisement