Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerrard Unsettled

• 08-12-2004 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

"I'm 25 at the end of the season and I think I've got six or seven years left in me at the top level to win things, so hopefully the turnaround can happen quite sharpish.

"I'm in a difficult situation because I'm a fan myself, I want to win things at this football club, but I haven't got time on my side.

"I can't really wait three or four years for the club to be turned around and to be made into a title-winning side.

"I'm hoping that will happen from now until the end of the season and that, come the summer, we'll be in next year's title race. I'm not giving up now, but look at the table."

Link

With Liverpool looking like a team that will finish no higher than 4th again it looks like Gerrard is positioning himself for a summer move. Will Chelsea still be interested in him and will they be able to accomodate him in their team?

He would make an ideal replacemeny for Keano at Utd, He did make some positive soundings about United last summer. I agree its highly unlikely that he would move to United but I would have thought the same about Alan Smith.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

He is a super player and exactly what United need, but I would absolutely hate to see him in a Utd Jersey. I don't hate the guy or anything but the thought of doing business with Liverpool is sacreligious.

He is really annoying me these days, I wish he would just make up his mind either way and decide to stay or go. His constant whining after matches is begining to frustrate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

as a 'pool fan, I'd not want him to leave but ffs...this is getting old tbh. prolly be better of getting rid of him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I was at Villa Park on saturday and he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile, he didn't look too happy when he was coming off, with Owen gone and the pool not doing too well, I think he could be gone come the summer, which would be a massive blow to the pool.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Perfect replacement for Keane methinks... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

He's no more unsettled now then he has been since deciding not to go to Chelsea in the Summer. Basicly he's ambitious and wants to win things which is fair enough. If Liverpool aren't very close to the chase for the Premiership by the end of next season or doing brilliant in the CL then I have little doubt in my mind as a Pool supporter that he will be looking to pack his bags. Which is fair enough - he's given us plenty of warning and done very well for us.

What remains to be seen is whether Liverpool will be able to turn things around, whether we'll get the money for him that he's worth if he goes and where he'll go to. As a Liverpool fan he might be a bit uncomfortable in a Utd jersey - also Chelsea nearly got him this year and they'd be first in line for him then too. He wants to win things and Chelsea is the place to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

kaimera wrote:
    as a 'pool fan, I'd not want him to leave but ffs...this is getting old tbh. prolly be better of getting rid of him :(

I agree, he, like Owen, reckon they are bigger than the club. Thank God we have him tied up contractually not like Owen. We should take 30 million for him if we're offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BolBill wrote:
    "We" should take 30 million for him if we're offered.

And what are you gonna do with your share of the 30 million???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

BaZmO* wrote:
    And what are you gonna do with your share of the 30 million???
    scott parker TBH :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"I'm hoping that will happen from now until the end of the season and that, come the summer, we'll be in next year's title race. I'm not giving up now, but look at the table."

Sounds like Liverpool have him for another 18 months, which I belive is long enough. He has to be careful he could talk himself into a transfere that does'nt get him what he wants. After all if lets say Boros Steve Gibson goes mad and offers 30 mill would the Pool board say no?

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Sounds like Liverpool have him for another 18 months, which I belive is long enough. He has to be careful he could talk himself into a transfere that does'nt get him what he wants. After all if lets say Boros Steve Gibson goes mad and offers 30 mill would the Pool board say no?

Mike.

Thought he signed a four year deal last year?????? that would mean we have him for another 3........

• Advertisement

BolBill wrote:
    Thought he signed a four year deal last year?????? that would mean we have him for another 3........
    If he doesn't want to play for us we won't keep him. Did you not notice during the Summer when he was inches away from joining Chelsea?

Eh, we contractually have him for 3 more years, thats the only point I was making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ah this bull again...

It wont be the end of the world if he leaves.. Granted, he is an incredible player but I don' have time for this crap again. The club bent over backwards for Owen and look what happened, it won't happen again. Not can we afford it to happen again..

There is replacements out there that will come within 90% of his ability for 30% of the price..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

arsene really likes gerrard.i think arsenal wud make a big bid paying it installments and mite accelerate the repayments after the new stadium is built.then vieira can f*** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

didn't gerrard say that moores was one of the reasons he stayed during the summer?

wonder if this takeover thing is anything to do with this.

kaimera wrote:
    wonder if this takeover thing is anything to do with this.
    Doubt it very much - he's already said his piece in defense of Moores and that he doesn't want to be involved other then to just provide a positive character reference.

I'm thinking that we have a make or break CL game tonight and a derby at the weekend. These are games he wants to be winning and he's giving everyone a bit of a kick.

BolBill wrote:
    Eh, we contractually have him for 3 more years, thats the only point I was making.
    True, that is the only point you made but you made it as a reaction to Mike65's post suggesting that we'll have Gerrard for another 18 months.

He was trying to say that it sounds like Gerrard will give the club 18 months to turn things around - and if they haven't he'll want out.

I was backing him up and pointing out that the contract won't bind him any further then he wants to stay at the club - as was shown when he nearly left in the Summer :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

My reading of his comments is that he is giving the club until the end of the season
    "I want to see signs we can be genuine challengers next time"
    i.e. if he reckons they are not good enough at the end of this season.

Possibly even Jan(if they don't progress tonight) given his comments regarding the uefa cup.

Interesting to see Benitezs reaction, Little Mickey was whown the door when he rocked the boat.

p.pete wrote:
    True, that is the only point you made but you made it as a reaction to Mike65's post suggesting that we'll have Gerrard for another 18 months.

He was trying to say that it sounds like Gerrard will give the club 18 months to turn things around - and if they haven't he'll want out.

I was backing him up and pointing out that the contract won't bind him any further then he wants to stay at the club - as was shown when he nearly left in the Summer :p

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

If he was to leave at the end of the season I can't see him going to Arsenal or United. Chelsea, Barca or Real maybe?

Ferguson definitely rates him and he would be a solution to our midfield 'quality' problem but I don't know if Gerrard would want the move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The length of his contract is very relevant when it comes to a transfer price. If he has 3 years left come next summer, then £30m would be on the cards. If he'd only 1 year left, then you'd be looking at half that.

I can understand SG's stance, but its bad form that he's talking openly about it IMO.

p.pete wrote:

My comment was a little er vague. p.petes right, I dont think Gerrard will leave this summer as lets face it Rafa does'nt have much time to win the league this season! But if things look hopeful I'm sure he'll hang on for another season and if Liverpool hav'nt won or come VERY close to winning the PL by end of 2005-06 then he'll be off.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    My comment was a little er vague. p.petes right, I dont think Gerrard will leave this summer as lets face it Rafa does'nt have much time to win the league this season! But if things look hopeful I'm sure he'll hang on for another season and if Liverpool hav'nt won or come VERY close to winning the PL by end of 2005-06 then he'll be off.

Mike.

Totally correct, nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

BolBill wrote:
    Totally correct, nice one.

I believe he will move in the summer. He is obviously unsettled and considering the timing IMO his statement is intended to condition the Liverpool fans into accepting his move without much of a backlash. The three years left on his contract means very little in the current climate , he will be sold next summer if he puts in a request.

The Muppet wrote:
    I believe he will move in the summer.
    I'll give you decent odds that he won't if you feel that strongly about it :p
    The Muppet wrote:
    he will be sold next summer if he puts in a request.
    This is very true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

p.pete wrote:
    I'll give you decent odds that he won't if you feel that strongly about it :p

What do you consider decent odds ?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

SteM wrote:
    Ferguson definitely rates him and he would be a solution to our midfield 'quality' problem but I don't know if Gerrard would want the move.
    Well you'd never know. Alan Smith moved to United in the Summer and he was supposed to hate Man Utd when he was at Leeds. Rooney moved from a Scouse club to United. I suppose its up to whoever Gerrard thinks will play him the most and who he thinks will be most successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Getting pretty sick of this now. Gerrard should be honoured to not only be playing for Liverpool but captaining them. As a captain he has certain responsibilities and they do not include undermining moral by leaving the constant threat of him walking out over the club. He is a great player, probably the best midfielder in the Premiership but this whole 'will he, won't he' fiasco has gone on long enough.

Benitez should have it out with him and find out exactly how committed he is to the Red cause - if he doesn't want to be there, get rid of him. Benitez has already bought his replacement in Alonso, who was bought it when Gerrard underwent his infamous Chelsea farce in the summer. No one player is bigger than the club and if Gerrard doesn't want to be at Liverpool, he should be sold and the £30million given to the manager who can get on with leading the players that want to be there to glory.

I reckon if Liverpool don't finish in the top 4 that he will definitely leave.

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:
    I reckon if Liverpool don't finish in the top 4 that he will definitely leave.

Hello Good Evening FOLKS and welcome to "STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATEMENT OF THE OOOOBBBBBBBBVIOUS" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hey, seen this posted on a Liverpool forum, proving that Gerrard's situation is nothing new. You could almost substitutes the names Hughes and Smith for Gerrard and Carragher.

Tommy Smith and Emlyn Hughes interviewed by the Daily Mirror August 1972

Frank McGhee (Daily Mirror): Well lads, here we are about to embark on the 1972-’73 season. What are your hopes and ambitions for this season?

Emlyn: Frank, I’ve been with this club for five and a half years now. In that time, we’ve won nothing, absolutely nothing, not even that League Cup thingy with the three handles. I’m getting a bit annoyed about it. Not sure that the Manager’s doing everything the right way. I’m not even sure I like the players I’ve got alongside me. I’m a senior professional at this club and as such feel I have the right to say these things. It’s not that I actually don’t personally like other players, apart from Smithy that is, everybody knows we hate each other although we have a great mutual respect for each other as players and professionals, it’s just that they’re not good enough. I’ve got to tell you Frank, if this club doesn’t win anything this season I’m off! I mean, we haven’t played in the European Cup in my time here. This Inter Cities Fairs Cup, renamed Uefa Cup or something I do believe from the start of this season, is all well and good but come on, it’s a second rate competition. I don’t want to be playing in second rate competitions. I want to be playing in the top competition every season. I want to be winning things. If I can’t achieve it at this club then maybe I’ll have to move on to clubs that are winning things such as Arsenal, Leeds or Derby County. I was with all the Derby, Leeds and Arsenal lads with England in the Home Championships and summer tour. Todd and McFarland were into me about what a great manager Clough is and how I’d win loads with them. Clarke was telling me about the fantastic wages he was on at Leeds and what Revie was like and how they’re going to dominate English and European football for the next decade. Ball was after me to go to Highbury. He reckons Arsenal will have a team this season to match the Double winners of a couple of seasons ago. And the wages! God, the wages! Those lads are on £200 a week you know! Got to have some of that soon. I mean, I’m only on £170 a week here. I know that’s megabucks and unspendable to the lads who stand in the Kop but it’s not enough for me. I nearly went to one of those clubs you know but Smithy threatened to punch my lights out if I did. My Dad called me a big poof if I did move so that was that. I decided to stay but I’m not saying I’ll be here much longer. I do love Liverpool Football Club and I hope that if I do move on the fans won’t turn against me but I have to do this to further my career if nothing is won this season.

Frank: Pretty strong views from Emlyn there Tommy. What are your thoughts?

Tommy: Punch his lights out? I wouldn’t have to! The Kopites would hang him by his scrawny neck from the roof of the Kop if they knew he was even thinking about leaving! This is LIVERPOOL Football Club – not Arsenal, Chelsea, Derby or anybody else. We’ve won more League Championships than anybody else. This is the greatest club in the country and will soon be the best in Europe! £170 a week and he’s not happy! I’m not on that much and I’ve been here longer than him and am the Club Captain! Cheeky get! Who does he think he is? Okay, I’ve been here longer than him and so have tasted success in a League Championship and an FA Cup but we’ve still won nothing since that League Championship in ’66 and I’m not moaning. Neither is there any other player moaning. We’re all just willing to get on with it and do our best to make Liverpool Football Club what I said we would be – the greatest club in Europe. I do sort of know what he means; I want to win things too but it’s playing for this club that matters more than anything. Frankly the players and fans are getting more than a bit brassed off with his continual bleating. I can’t tell you what Shankly thinks of it! If he’s going to go he should just go now then the rest of us can get on with it. Great player is Emlyn but nobody is irreplaceable at this club.

The Muppet wrote:
    What do you consider decent odds ?
    PM sent :)

Gread story Super Furry - do you have a link to that? Emlyn Hughes wasn't wrong to be ambitious back then and Gerrard isn't wrong now either - if he drags the rest of the club by the scruff of the neck to his level then I'll be a happy camper. Emlyn Hughes went on to win loads with Liverpool and be one of our best captains - great comparison :D

BolBill wrote:
    Hello Good Evening FOLKS and welcome to "STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATEMENT OF THE OOOOBBBBBBBBVIOUS"
    BolBill wrote:
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

As where your posts are so informative! :rolleyes: Grow up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Id say if he did go it would be to Madrid, cant see united having the kind of money it'd take . Also I dont think SG would be leaping at the chance to join united id say he'd be a bit hesitant. Dont think Chelski need him, it hasnt stopped them in the past but with Real's increasing number of english players id say the agent they have working for them is doing a decent enough job to be able to lure SG over.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    Well you'd never know. Alan Smith moved to United in the Summer and he was supposed to hate Man Utd when he was at Leeds. Rooney moved from a Scouse club to United. I suppose its up to whoever Gerrard thinks will play him the most and who he thinks will be most successful.

Yeah, I was thinking of Alan Smith when I was typing my post up. I just think that Gerrard would get less hassle from 'pool fans if he went to Chelsea or abroad. I've got to admit though that I never DREAMT that I would ever see Smith playing for United so anything's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

you do know the kind of deals liverpool's board get when the pressure isnt on them if they had to sell SG with a 3 year contract left then they would propbebly get 40 million and 3 or 4 top quality players.

Folks, lets not forget here that SG is a whole level or two above Smith in terms of class. Smith would find it hard to join a bigger club, Chelsea wouldn't be interested and don't think there would be too many foreign clubs knocking on the door. He doesn't get used all that much by United even.

Gerrard on the other hand can pretty much expect to be a first choice player wherever he goes and is going to be courted by lots of foreign clubs if there is any chance of him being available. He can find clubs who will win more, which is what he wants.

He's suffered from death threats before and it affected his life and his form drasticly so I'm not sure if he'd fancy the hassle of a move to United. Also do you really think United will be competing with Chelsea for trophies over the next few years? Yes they are the richest club but that doesn't seem to be evident in the transfer market - they do spend loads but not as freely as Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

are we sure this is just not an old quote from the summer being brought up again? I find it strange that he would come out with this crap again, especially coming into one of the most important weeks of the season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Gerrard wont go to UTD as they have no transfer budget until january 2006.
    Also he is the liverpool captain, they would all go ****ing made over there if it came to pass!
    Its chelsea or abroad for him if he goes.

Another article for anyone interested:

Gerrard fighting for his Liverpool future :)

@Lex Luther - I think it is a very current story, it's on most websites. Think the comments were made last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

to be honest, im really quick sick of hearing this bollocks
    if he wants to go, **** off and go
    if not, shut your ****ing mouth

though this may just be a case of the usual **** stirring lazy journalist scum (i didn't bother reading anything)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I dunno what Gerrard is at tbh. Nows not that time to be publically making waves.
    For the record i think he will leave.
    He doesn't get used all that much by United even.
    Only player to have played every premiership game for united. True a lot were from the subs bench but for a while he was the top scorer at the club this year. He got lots of important goals for Man u this season when they were really struggling.
    I wasn't happy about him joining but hes really grown on me. His work rate and passion is top rate and hes not a bad player to boot. After reading about him wanting to end his career at united (dunno if hes talking ****e or not) but im very happy with him :)

...but this thread isnt about Smith so i think ill stop talking :)

eyerer wrote:
    to be honest, im really quick sick of hearing this bollocks
    if he wants to go, **** off and go
    if not, shut your ****ing mouth
    I think you're rather eloquently missing the point - he doesn't want to leave but he doesn't want to stay in a club who aren't going to win anything either.

I don't see how any Liverpool fan can be annoyed at this kind of attitude - he wants the club to succeed and he wants to be a part of that. Speaking on the eve of a crucial CL match that can make or brake the season perhaps he feels it will help as motivation. Maybe he's wrong and knows nothing about sports psychology or maybe Liverpool will go out and win 2-0 tonight and get to the next round of the CL. I'm hoping the latter.

If you're a non-pool fan and sick of the talk then blame the managers - before both recent Arsenal and Spurs matches most of the managers comments were about Gerrard. He didn't even play against Spurs and I think Wenger did a very productive job of unsettling him (haahaa:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i am a pool fan (though not very confident because they need a win tonight)
    im just sick of this speculation

eyerer wrote:
    not very confident because they need a win tonight
    me too :(

p.pete wrote:
    Another article for anyone interested:

Gerrard fighting for his Liverpool future :)

@Lex Luther - I think it is a very current story, it's on most websites. Think the comments were made last night.

That article is just what I wanted to read! He's going nowhere just yet.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

BolBill wrote:
    Hello Good Evening FOLKS and welcome to "STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATEMENT OF THE OOOOBBBBBBBBVIOUS" :rolleyes:

And welcome to a weeks ban.

Also change the sig or I will make it permanent !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

In fairness, I think it's a bit harsh to talk about a "Chelsea farce" in the summer. Last season, it has been said by a lot of itk people that in the latter stages of Houllier's tenure, a quartet of Gerrard, Owen, Carragher, and Murphy were picking the team, and when Benitez walked in, he destroyed that little cabal by getting rid of Murphy, and not standing in the way of Owen when he was making his mind up. Around the time when Liverpool were weighing up their options, Gerrard was said to favour an English coach, and Owen a continental. But when Benitez was appointed, the opposite to what a lot of analysts expected actually transpired. Owen walked and Gerrard stayed. Misplaced loyalty? We'll see. I don't think anyone but him knows what he's going to do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

p.pete wrote:
    me too :(

liverpool will win lads so no worries about that by the end of the season it'll be a reasonable success and if steve leaves we'll be able to buy 5 or 6 players that between them will make us forget who stevie was and then chelsea will come to anfield and get rogered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Cant see him going to united, dont think they can afford him. Also, he wants to leave to win things, and i think chelsea will be in the best position to do that for the next few years.

I aint impressed with gerrards attitude towards all this. Its like hes threatening everyone to do well or else he will leave. Dont think thats a great way to motivate the players.

Come summer, 30mil plus scot parker would be grand

• Advertisement
Advertisement