Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerrard Unsettled

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Gerrards comments on Gerrards comments (link)
    Gerrard's future dominated the pre-match coverage, and the skipper hopes his openness is respected by the supporters.

He said: "I know I put a lot of pressure on myself because of what I said. I felt I needed a big performance last night, but I was asked the questions and I wanted to be honest. I always will be.

"If I'm asked a question, I'll give a straight answer. I'm not going to go around the world telling lies about how I feel.

"I'm a fan as well, and I think what I've said the supporters will agree with. The main point I've made is I want to be in a Liverpool side which is challenging for the title and Champions League all the time.

"That's where the club needs to be. I want to be winning things with Liverpool, not somewhere else. That's the most important thing.

"But last night wasn't about me. I scored a vital goal for the team and for the club, not myself."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Benitez said today that SG will stay and fulfill his dreams at Anfield. I trust the man will pull it off.

Also, I think Bryan Robson should keep his mouth shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Lex Luthor wrote:

Also, I think Bryan Robson should keep his mouth shut.

What did he say ?

The Muppet wrote:
    What did he say ?
    It's a good general rule.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Gerard but not until the summer from I can see, he will be cupped tied in the CL so no good to the team who buys him.
    United cannot afford him nor I doubt Arsenal, Chelsea definately can BUT does he want to line out against Liverpool, then you are down to an Italian team or Barca or Real.
    Personally I think he will go abroad, this lad is liverpool 1000%, he is given them every chance to start winning something and he is delaying his decision with the hope that something will happen on the trophy side. But I cannot see him wanted to play against liverpool in the PL so then his preference could be Europe. BUT from memory I cannot remember any European team having any interest in him??

Time will tell

yop wrote:
    Gerard but not until the summer from I can see, he will be cupped tied in the CL so no good to the team who buys him.
    United cannot afford him nor I doubt Arsenal, Chelsea definately can BUT does he want to line out against Liverpool, then you are down to an Italian team or Barca or Real.
    If what he says is true then he wants medals that he can show to his kids (lovely) and the premier league medal is one that he wants to win - he'd value it much higher then La Liga. It would grate to see him playing against Liverpool but that's life.

Chelsea have the money to do it and also the midfield partners that he'd like to play alongside (Duff, Robben and Lampard). Man U can offer him the opportunity to be Keanes replacement - why would anyone want to fill those shoes? It'd be enticing to play alongside Keane maybe but that window is closing.

Hopefully he stays at Liverpool, if not hopefully he goes abroad but my head says Chelsea...

The Muppet wrote:
    What did he say ?
    He was stirring the pot last night on Sky Sports saying that he should leave cos it's his only way of winning anything.
    Ex scum should keep his nose out....all he wants is SG to move to scum and he's trying to unsettle him.
    If he stays and lifts the PL trophy with L'pool in next few years then he will go down as one of the greats...now that'd be something to show his kids.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    If he stays and lifts the PL trophy with L'pool in next few years then he will go down as one of the greats...now that'd be something to show his kids.
    If he stays in Liverpool maybe his kids will grow up Everton fans, now that would unsettle him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Ex scum should keep his nose out....all he wants is SG to move to scum and he's trying to unsettle him.

Do you think he's trying to get him to move to WBA in the summer?
    ;)

• Advertisement

SteM wrote:
    Do you think he's trying to get him to move to WBA in the summer?
    ;)
    maybe if he sold his entire squad he might be able to afford him. I know Liverpool sometimes looks like a one-man SG show some weeks, but he's not superman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

p.pete wrote:
    Man U can offer him the opportunity to be Keanes replacement - why would anyone want to fill those shoes?

While I agree that Chelsea is where he would most likely choose to go to if it came to that, and without wanting to go off topic, I think filling Keanes shoes would not be a bad role for him. There's a lot coming right at utd. and he might just be the person to bring them up a level to a title-winning team.

impr0v wrote:
    ... he might just be the person to bring them up a level to a title-winning team.
    He's already that person with Liverpool - he'll want to go somewhere that he's slotting into an already strong infrastructure.

I'll hold my hand up and admit United have both a stronger current squad and a stronger set of younsters coming up but with younsters coming up it's always going to be fingers crossed that it developes into a quality side. That concern would be bypassed going to Chelsea (plus they can pay a higher transfer, higer wages and less probability of death threats(which I would never condone)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Lex Luthor wrote:
    He was stirring the pot last night on Sky Sports saying that he should leave cos it's his only way of winning anything.

I doubt the WBA manager is trying to recruit for Man U but if he is I wish him luck. It sounds like good advive to me. Gerrard is the one that raised the subject so I don't see how anyone else can be accused of unsetteling him. Liverpool still look way off lifting the premiership and will need to invest heavily to close the gap on the top 3 clubs. As they are heavily in debt they may need the money from Gerrards sale to aid their progression.

I think Gerrard will move to Chelsea next summer with parker and around £25 million going the other way. For me Liverpool would be getting the best of that deal as they would be getting a ready made replacement for Gerrard plus cash to buy a couple of decent players.

The Muppet wrote:
    Gerrard is the one that raised the subject so I don't see how anyone else can be accused of unsetteling him.
    Don't think he ever claimed to be unsettled (at least not recently). I think the whole thing has been more unsettling for Liverpool fans.

Arsene Wenger could be accused of trying to unsettle him as he was talking about Gerrard departing before the recent match against Arsenal - don't think he was too unsettled by it all though.

Advertisement