Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess which one?

Comments

Trigger! wrote:
    well ive got it down to between 2 marbles but thats it!

Basically, put for marbles in each side of the balance so your left with 1!if the balance is balanced so to speak, the heavy one is in your hand!if the balance seems to tip to one side, the heavier one is on that side!get rid of the other four of them and this time with the remaining four split them into 2 on each side and see which is heavier which would leave it between the two of em! :confused:

oops, that was a lot of replies that came in before mine! :o

Is he called Trigger 'cos hes as fast as a gun?
    No! He looks like a horse!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Iago wrote:
    A quick one while we're waiting for the next..

Two parents and their 2 kids have come to a river, and they find a boat. It is small and can only carry one adult or 2 kids at a time. Both kids are good rowers, but how can the whole family reach the other side of the river?
    Do they have the honey i shrunk the kids machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

The two children row over

One child rows back

One adult rows over

The other child rows back

Both children row over

One child rows back

The other adult rows over

The other child rows back

The two children row over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Iago wrote:
    You have 9 marbles: 8 of them weigh 1 ounce each; 1 weighs 1.1 ounce. The 9 marbles are all the same size, appearance and shape. You have access to a balance scale containing 2 trays - you may use the balance ONLY 2 times. You must determine which of the 9 marbles is the heavier one using the balance ONLY 2 times.
    This isn't the leaving cert you know?

I don't suppose these are metaphorical marbles? And the heaviest marble represents the hatred I have for my father???

eh... could you put 4 marbles on each tray and see if they balance. If they do then the remaining marble is the heavy one. If they don't well.. eh.. umm... remove all the lighter ones as they are now out of the equation... so we're left with 4 possible candicates... anyone else got any ideas of how to take it further with just one weighing left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Modified wrote:
    Do they have the honey i shrunk the kids machine?

not quite but good attempt!!

Steve D is right..

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

a man is carrying three pieces of gold each piece weighing one kilogram. While taking a walk he comes to a bridge which has a sign posted saying the bridge could hold only a maximum of 80 kilograms. He weighs 78 kilograms and the gold weighs three kilograms. He reads the sign and still safely crossed the bridge with all the gold in one trip. How did he manage this?

Yay!

I suppose it's Die Hard time...

How can you get exactly 4 liters of water out of a full barrel when there are only a 5 liter and a 3 liter container available?

SteveD wrote:
    Yay!

I suppose it's Die Hard time...

How can you get exactly 4 liters of water out of a full barrel when there are only a 5 liter and a 3 liter container available?
    fill 3 litres
    empty into 5 litres
    fill 3 litres
    empty into 5 litres till full
    empty 5 litres
    empty 1 litre in 3 litre into 5 litre
    fill 3 litre
    empty into 5 litre
    in die hard it was gallons and they had a fountain with ganesh wheres our fountain?

does he eat it all?

• Advertisement

a man is carrying three pieces of gold each piece weighing one kilogram. While taking a walk he comes to a bridge which has a sign posted saying the bridge could hold only a maximum of 80 kilograms. He weighs 78 kilograms and the gold weighs three kilograms. He reads the sign and still safely crossed the bridge with all the gold in one trip. How did he manage this?
    Slimfast?

Did he throw one of the coins across the river?
    Did he vomit up his lunch?
    Did he take off his clothes?
    these are all good answers...

I couldn't remember the exact riddle so I copied and pasted.. Stoopid internet.

But yes bravo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

is his total weight inclusive of the gold?

Or does he simply walk underneath the bridge...

Oh wait... I got it!

It's a toll bridge...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

He takes off all his cloths and shoes - this ought to weigh a kg or more.
    Picks up his three bars of them dar gold and crosses the bridge?
    That, or he gets across the river with the two parents and the two kids!
    Or, he switches off the light in the lighthouse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

He goes across with the 2 lumps of gold!leaves them on the other side and goes back for the other piece!

Scratch that!

Trigger! wrote:
    He goes across with the 2 lumps of gold!leaves them on the other side and goes back for the other piece!
    It says he got across in one trip

I'm pretty sure he had to pay one of the gold coins to cross the bridge.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He got across safely with all the gold though.
    Did he rip the sign (weighing one kilogram) off the bridge?

ok, he carried the two pieces and left the other tied to a piec of string!when he got to the other side he pulled the other piece of gold across?

Trigger! wrote:
    ok, he carried the two pieces and left the other tied to a piec of string!when he got to the other side he pulled the other piece of gold across?
    But then he would have looked mental! Have you ever tried doing this on the Ha'Penny bridge? You get some really dirty looks...

Can someone PM Penguinbloke and get him back in here!

• Advertisement

But then he would have looked mental! Have you ever tried doing this on the Ha'Penny bridge? You get some really dirty looks...

Can someone PM Penguinbloke and get him back in here!

hehe true allright!

But its one trip and all pieces across!only thing is, did he have string with him!or he could have removed his clothes, tied them together and tied them to the other piece!

He'd look even more mental for that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Trigger! wrote:

You've been in this situation before haven't you. You greedy backstard.

Does he walk across the bridge with the 3 pieces of gold ignoring the sign knowing that all buildings and bridges are designed with safety factors built in. (I'm a design engineer I should know :D:D:D )

sprinkles wrote:
    You've been in this situation before haven't you. You greedy backstard.

Does he walk across the bridge with the 3 pieces of gold ignoring the sign knowing that all buildings and bridges are designed with safety factors built in. (I'm a design engineer I should know :D:D:D )

I have indeed! :D

I also thought of that aswell!I mean everywhere it would say 'max weight' but the real 'max weight' is a little higher than that!They say it really for safety!

He could go accross on his belly and disperse his weight like the polar bears do when crossing thin ice...

He could go accross on his belly and disperse his weight like the polar bears do when crossing thin ice...
    That depends if the Polar Bear is on Holidays!

the string idea might work but it isn't the answer I'm looking for...

Yes because we all know if he's in the south pole all the penguins will have migrated. Its a fact.

True there are loads of ways he could have got across tis just a matter of picking the right one!

For example, a bridge that has a max weight of a measily 80 kilo's seems a very small one so he probably could have just thrownd one piece across!hehe

the string idea might work but it isn't the answer I'm looking for...
    So it's NOT a toll bridge?

and no it is NOT a toll bridge

• Advertisement

How about he walked across the bridge juggling the bars?

it would work as he would only have the weight of two at any one time!

Okay... now I'm thinking that maybe he juggled them? Always keeping one in the air, yes?

[EDIT]Damn you, Trigger!!![/EDIT]

He juggled them!

Damn yo trig, you beat me to it

Okay... now I'm thinking that maybe he juggled them? Always keeping one in the air, yes?

eh, that was my idea!

Trigger! wrote:

It's about time

Correct

It's about time

Correct

Wooohooo!

Think this calls for a cigarette!

By the way i dont actually have one so if someone wants to put up another then fire away!

Trigger! wrote:

Yes, that's it!
    But happens if he drops one? :eek:

Do you have one Trigger? I have one....

okay...

A married couple goes to a movie. During the movie the husband strangles the wife. He is then able to get her body home without attracting attention. How?

PH01 wrote:
    Yes, that's it!

More to the point, how difficult must it be to juggle 3 1 kilo pieces of gold!

• Advertisement

PH01 wrote:
    Yes, that's it!

I guess we'll never know

Trigger! wrote:
    More to the point, how difficult must it be to juggle 3 1 kilo pieces of gold!
    It might be easier than juggling 3 1kg bags of feathers?

A married couple goes to a movie. During the movie the husband strangles the wife. He is then able to get her body home without attracting attention. How?
    It's a Drive-In Movie?

Do you have one Trigger? I have one....

okay...

Its a drive in Movie they went to see and he tapes her head to the headrest and drives home?

Yes.. Drive-in movie... that's right...

How about a hard one?

A man is dead in his bedroom. All the doors and windows are locked from the inside. On the floor near to him is a wooden stick and a pile of sawdust. The man has no visible injuries and there is a man at the window laughing.

How did the man die?

You'll probably have to ask me questions for this one... And also if you have heard it before, please don't shout out the answer...

Trigger! wrote:
    tapes her head to the headrest
    What kind of sick c**t does that?
    I think you've done this before!

• Advertisement

Modified wrote:

Hehe got the idea from the Getaway! :D

You'll probably have to ask me questions for this one...
    Did the dead man have a sawdust fettish?

tapes her head to the headrest
    Modified wrote:

What worries me is the fact that I was thinking that that made sense

How about a hard one?

A man is dead in his bedroom. All the doors and windows are locked from the inside. On the floor near to him is a wooden stick and a pile of sawdust. The man has no visible injuries and there is a man at the window laughing.

How did the man die?

You'll probably have to ask me questions for this one... And also if you have heard it before, please don't shout out the answer...
    Whooooooooooooa, dar horsey!
    The deal is that, when you get it right IT'S YOUR GO!

And the answer to that one is that your man ate a load of cabbage, then went to bed.
    During the night he farted so much that the fumes killed him in his sleep. And that's what the man is laughing about!

How about a hard one?

How did the man die?

Was there a wager involved?

• Advertisement
Advertisement