Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essential Gamecube games?

Options
  • 08-12-2004 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭

Ok as the title suggests I would like to know what you guys consider to be the essence of Gamecube.
    I have one for Xmas with Sonic DX adventure, Mario Kart and Metroid Prime 2.
    So what am I missing?
    What games do I need to have that sets this console apart from the xbox and the PS2?
    I already own a modded xbox and have a lot of games for that and hope to get a ps2 or similar in the early new year to complete the collection.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Smash Bros. Melee for multiplayer fun, Metroid Prime is essential especially if you want to play the second one. Viewtiful Joe is great but also on PS2. F-zero is the fastest racing game ever made and is really good. You have to pick up Zelda. For RPGs get Harvest Moon, Skies of Arcadia and Tales of Symphonia. To waste over a year of your life get Animal Crossing. Resident Evil Remake and Zero are very good. Super Mario Sunshine is a fantastic platformer. Soul Calibur 2 is best played on GC. And for rock hard old school shoot'em up fun get Ikaruga.

I suggested picking up all of these games and any others I can remember :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And Pikmin 1+2 and Paper Mario 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

don't forget eternal darkness. one of my favourite games ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Thanks guys, that's certainly enough to be getting on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Retr0gamer wrote:
    To waste over a year of your life get Animal Crossing.
    Only lasted me a month...:(

• Advertisement

Only lasted me a month...:(

If you know somebody else playing it you will never get tired leaving silly messages for them and chopping down all their trees :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

definitely get f-zero

just started playing it this minute (and it'd take a damn fine game to draw me away from hl2 and mp2!)
    steering seems **** at first, but you get used to it.

and as Retro says, Soul Calibur 2 is best played on the gc. (filled my bag with $20 players choice games while i was in the states :D )

I've only really played Soul Calibre twice. The first time I unlocked most of the characters in one play and the second time was a 7 hour session when one of my friends arrived over. I need to find some victims that will actually play it (got hammered by my friend since he was a dreamcast owning SC1 veteran).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Who's up for a game of wario ware??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I've only really played Soul Calibre twice. The first time I unlocked most of the characters in one play and the second time was a 7 hour session when one of my friends arrived over. I need to find some victims that will actually play it (got hammered by my friend since he was a dreamcast owning SC1 veteran).

If this is a challenge, , I would be willing to take you up on it some time.
    started playing the series with Soul Blade on the PS1, then DC and then finally on the GC.
    woudl like a worthy enemy.
    TBH though I haven't played in about a year, so give me two rounds to warm up again :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Gilgamesh wrote:
    If this is a challenge, , I would be willing to take you up on it some time.
    started playing the series with Soul Blade on the PS1, then DC and then finally on the GC.
    woudl like a worthy enemy.
    TBH though I haven't played in about a year, so give me two rounds to warm up again :cool:

Yeah i started on Soul blade too, i used to love the voice overs, siegfrieds was great, 'i never had such an eaaaaaaasy victory!' ;) Even tho im a veteran of all 3 games, i still suck tho lol. Except for kilik, i can kick ass with him.

Anywho, essential GC games you say??

Star wars: rogue squadron 2
    Zelda: wind waker
    Resident evil remake
    Mario sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Essential:
    Single player - Metroid Prime 1 and 2
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    If you like horror, then REmake and Eternal Darkness.

Multiplayer:
    Super Smash Bros Melee
    Soul Calibur 2
    TimeSplitters 2
    Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2
    The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (import for now - but it's out in January here)

I already have soulcalibre on the xbox as I do Timesplitters.
    Am really interested in pure GC games that wont or are not ported as I will soon own all three systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

What about Donkey Konga? I don't have a gamecube, but it looks cool...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

imo monkey ball (either of them) should be the first game you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

single-player:
    1) Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - its just great, except for the tedious sailing...
    2) Viewtiful Joe - side scrolling goodness!
    3) Pikmin 2 - strategy fun
    4) Tales of Symphonia - Japanese RPG fun!
    5) Harvest Moon - lead a charming life as a farmer...

multi-player:
    1) Bomberman Generations
    2) Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
    3) Super Smash Brothers Melee
    4) Super Monkey Ball

I would also recommend the GameBoy Player - just so you can play the Gameboy games on your TV...like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    Note the lack of Metroid Prime is only because I can't stand FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

you can pick up RE remake for 7.99 preowned in gamestop so you have no excuse not to pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

don't forget eternal darkness. one of my favourite games ever

Without Eternal Darkness I'd have died waiting for Resident Evil (1 & Zero) -- all worth buying if you're into survival horror :D

Wario Ware is a must. Viewtiful Joe is excellent.

Mario Kart..It's decent enough (and probably on Player's Choice @ this stage?). Though F-Zero is MUCH better!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

if you will have mates around every now and again i suggest mario kart but if they play regularly(which ive noticed is a rarity) then get f zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

not a gamecube only game, but beyond good and evil is one of the best games of the last few years, it's just lovely...

• Advertisement

TCamen wrote:
    Mario Kart..It's decent enough (and probably on Player's Choice @ this stage?). Though F-Zero is MUCH better!
    nope. f-zero and zelda are the 2 most recent additions to the PAL players choice range. took them about 6 months to get round to adding those 2 to the range :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

not a gamecube only game, but beyond good and evil is one of the best games of the last few years, it's just lovely...
    and seriously under-hyped :(

I'm also guilty of forgetting about it! I remember seeing it in GAME when it had just come out, and wondering why it was only €30 brand new. "Has to be something wrong with it if it's cheap, right?!".

Definitely one of the best games I got in recent times, and it flew totally under the radar-- even CVG only did one of those tiny reviews @ the end for it, instead of a proper review (Got 8 out of 10) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, I loved Beyond Good & Evil. It was fun, clever, and had a cracking storyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭IamtheKing

A goddam monkey-hurling excellent multiplayer game is wario ware inc.
    Probably one of the funniest games ever.
    Wobbly Bobbly is pure class.

You should wait for the new legend of zelda. But be prepared to wait
    for a long time. Long long time....

As for games out now.. Tales of Symphonia looks good. I'm getting that one for christmas. :cool:

Tales of Symphonia looks good

I got it a while ago on import, but I've not played it enough to conclusively say it's amazing.. Probably only played for 20mins max, but the graphics are really nice in-game, I love the style to it.

Not sure I'll have time to play it over Christmas, with Paper Mario & Metroid Prime 2 to play..I'll get to it eventually :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

The only reason for getting a GC is because of all the Resident Evil titles. They are the best ever! Can't wait till Resi 4!!! :D

Ok I have the GC and so far am impressed, anyone who argues Xbox Vs GC or suchlike is full of it, they dont even cross over really. Already I know that the FPS should be on Xbox, the control system in MP2 is plain ugly. GC does cutesy very well.
    So far I have MP2, Sonic DX, Mario Kart Double Dash, Pikmin, Donkey Konga, some bass fishing title ( top angler?) and super mario sunshine.

Donkey Konga is great, despite not really wanting to look like a gimp the game is great fun.
    Favourite so far is Pikmin, a great title.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Cant believe no one mentioned Star Wars which was basically a system seller along with metroid when it came out. Star Wars Rebel Strike and Star Wars Rogue Leader are both incredible and both available for about 10euro 2nd hand - trust me.

Oh and Resident Evil Remake is lovely. Cant wait till March for RE4! Damn there are so many great games coming out in March! (eg. Wipeout Pure)

• Advertisement

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Already I know that the FPS should be on Xbox, the control system in MP2 is plain ugly. GC does cutesy very well.
    Timesplitters 2 made good use of the GC pad...
    and mp2 has bad controls??? wtf man. they're beautifully intuitive

Advertisement